That baseball game of yours.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jkrazy52
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jkrazy52 »

jbarter wrote:
TomB wrote:
jbarter wrote:So when does it all start again and who should I cheer for next season?
Well, the actual season starts in April, and you should ALWAYS cheer for the RED SOX, of course. :D
Which team is closest to West Virginia and how frustrated will I be cheering for them?
Kind of a long-dismissed part of the discussion, but Cincinnati, Ohio, is also close to West Virginia, the western edge. I miss the Cincinnati Red's Dream team ... and Pete Rose should be in the Hall of Fame, IMO. Charleston, WV has a minor league team .... the Alleycats?? maybe?

Not a big fan of televised sports .....
~Judy
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Right. The Alleycats definitely.
Do the Orioles and the Cubs play in different leagues? Then I could cheer for them both. If they're in the same league just let me know which are the least likely to win anything and they're my boys.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
rebl_rn
antispam: No

Post by rebl_rn »

chas wrote:
rebl_rn wrote:
jbarter wrote:So when does it all start again and who should I cheer for next season?

Chicago Cubs. As I said before, since Boston won, there is hope for the hopeless, hapless Cubbies. Beth
"Your average Cubs fan is 90% scar tissue." -- Joe Garagiola

I sometimes felt like we Red Sox fans were 98% scar tissue. Remember the Far Side cartoon with the deflated person and the inflated mosquito about the size of a Buick? That was me in 1975, 1978, and 1986.
I know that Cubs and Red Sox fans could argue over which team was more cursed until the cows come home. But I will mention 1969, 1984, 2003 and 2004. And at least you guys made it to the Series. It's like a question of whether it's better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all - is it better to make it to the World Series and lose or never even get there? I wouldn't know.

And yes, jbarter, the Orioles and Cubs are in different leagues so you could root for both of them.

This whole conversation made me think of Steve Goodman's "A Dying Cubs Fan's Last Request". It sums up well the futility of being a Cubs fan.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/poetry/po_cubs.shtml
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

GO ALLEYCATS GO!
GO CUBS GO!
GO ORIOLES GO!

You realise of course that this is a reciprocal arrangement and henceforth I expect all my colonial friends to root for Lincoln or Grimsby to win the FA Cup (or anything at all for that matter) and cheer on Hampshire to the County Cricket Championship.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
TomB

Post by TomB »

jbarter wrote:Right. The Alleycats definitely.
Do the Orioles and the Cubs play in different leagues? Then I could cheer for them both. If they're in the same league just let me know which are the least likely to win anything and they're my boys.

Doh! That's two I've missed, doesn't say good things about my knowledge of West Virginia geography.

I didn't leave out the Reds because they beat the Red Sox in the 1975 World Series, really, I didn't!! :roll:

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
TomB

Post by TomB »

Darwin wrote:Since I'll be moving eventually, does Dallas have a pro baseball team? (The Cowboys are football, right? --'Cause baseball doesn't have cheerleaders...but why not?)
Darwin: Yes, the Cowboys are football. There is no "Dallas" major league baseball team, but Texas does have two teams.

The Texas Rangers, in the American League, play in Arlington, which is what, about 30 minutes or so west of Dallas.

The other team is the Houston Astros, of the National League.

Both teams are playing in "new" ballparks.

All the Best, Tom
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Chuck_Clark wrote:As I understand the game, a perfect baseball game would be a one-hitter vs. a no hitter. For the benefit of folks who don't understand the 'lingo', that would best be described as 60,000 people sitting in the hot sun for three hours watching two pairs of men play catch while a third man occasionall swings a wooden stick through the air. One time during the procedure, the third man would actually hit the ball with which the other two men were playing catch, knocking it a long way through the air and over a wall. After he trotted slowly around a square ninety feet on a side, the two men would return to their interrupted game of catch.
:lol: Very well put, Chuck! :D :D :D

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

spittin_in_the_wind wrote:
PhilO wrote: It began on a frigid April 18th evening at McCoy Stadium and was halted at 4:09am by order of I.L. President Harold Cooper. On June 23rd, Dave Koza, who entered the game as the best hitter in the contest at 4-for-13, hit a 2-2 curve ball from reliever Cliff Speck into left field to score Marty Barrett and give the Pawtucket Red Sox a 3-2 victory over the Rochester Red Wings. Koza's single came with the bases loaded and none out as the Paw Sox managed to end the contest on their first at-bat in the bottom of the 33rd inning."
Robin
Quite a game. I see it was another Red Sox win. :) Wonder how many people were left in the stands at 4:09a.m.?

Will O'Ban

Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

Ridseard wrote: The Bloomfields of this world are basically okay. They just need a little tweaking.
You won't get any argument from me on that one. Like the Feadog, his voice has it's own special charm. (I almost said "susato", but I've seen where that can lead.) :)

Will O'Ban

susnfx

Post by susnfx »

jkrazy52 wrote:I miss the Cincinnati Red's Dream team ... Judy
The Big Red Machine. And my first big sports crush, Johnny Bench. Those were the days: Pete Rose, Joe Morgan, Johnny Bench...I loved that team!

Susan
Jeferson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

Speaking of long games, we go down to Seattle to see three or four ball games each summer. We were there in 2000 the night the team played their longest home game ever. Because my wife had to work at 7am the next morning and the drive home after the game was two and a half hours, we reluctatly left after the ninth inning. We knew we were cheating ourselves by leaving early, but we figured we'd listen to the game on the way home.

Sure enough, we headed toward home and listened to the game winning home run in the 19th inning just as we pulled into our neighbourhood!

Jef
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

:cry: Some of the best baseball stuff I've read in years.

If there were no other sports I wouldn't care as long as there were Baseball.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
TomB

Post by TomB »

geek4music wrote::cry: Some of the best baseball stuff I've read in years.

If there were no other sports I wouldn't care as long as there were Baseball.
If you haven't looked at this thread, you may be interested. It's a letter my wife wrote after the Red Sox won the World Series. It's really about how baseball connected her family.

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=23381

All the Best, Tom
No E

Post by No E »

In a deliberate afront to both Yankees and Giants fans, I say
GO DODGERS! (The team that coined the phrase "wait 'til next year!")

No E
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Ohhh...Dodger memory: In May 1970 I attended a Dodgers game - don't recall who they were playing, but somebody hit a fly ball and the guy in right field went back to catch it....back...back...back...caught the ball...turned and ran face-first into a huge pole (light pole?) against the back fence. He dropped like he'd been shot. They had to have an ambulance come and take him off the field. I always wondered if he was okay.

Susan