That baseball game of yours.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

WOO HOO!!!!!!! In your face Norcal...saying my team is the Boston Red Sucks!!!! It's party time!!! :party:

Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Some individuals still believe that cynicism, particularly regarding American institutions, is the ultimate in sophistication and fashionability. Wake up, folks. Postmodernism (and all which that entails) is in its death throes.

Guess what! It's okay to feel good that Boston won, or feel bad that St. Louis lost. Believe it or not, your genitals are not going to fall off.

Anyhow, I'm with Philo when it comes to baseball.
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

PhilO wrote:Ok let's set this straight. Baseball is the only team sport with no time limit - you don't get 27 outs, you keep playing - infinite....timeless....
. . . unless the ball rolls deep into the sewer and your overly tall, skinny kid brother isn't there to stick up the drain pipe and retrieve the ball. . .
PhilO wrote:No instant replay - respect for the judgments of man with all its inherent frailties and getting it right most of the time...
. . . and when he doesn't get it right, super gluing white canes to the front bumper of his car in the parking lot . . .
PhilO wrote:I . . . can still feel what it's like to dig in at the plate, to rub dirt between my hands, to pound my glove in the infield., the smell of the grass...
. . . the persistent burning itch in the crotch . . . the almost orgasmic delight of digging at that itch on television in front of thousands of adoring fans . . . the bitter bite from a brown wad burning a hole into your lower gum and discoloring those already partially rotted teeth as the syrup slithers down your chin stubble and falls like the gentle rain from heaven upon the muddy spikes below . . .
PhilO wrote:Have I made myself sufficiently clear here?
Extremely clear. Baseball . . . it's the great American past-time . . . probably even more so than drinking beer. :)

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Baseball, a sport I loved to play. Pro baseball on TV , the ultimate sedative. Puts me to sleep by the bottom of the second inning. I miss watching Hurley.Anyone have any VHS video tapes of ANY Hurley games I can purchase, borrow , copy? And Irish football,THAT'S a great sport to watch as well.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Congratulations to the Boston Red Sox on becoming the champion team at Colonial Cricket. :D
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
rebl_rn
antispam: No

Post by rebl_rn »

Congratulations Boston.

As a lifelong Cubs fan, all I can say is......

WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR!!

If the Red Sox can do it (over the hated Cardinals nonetheless), there is hope for us......

Beth
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

rebl_rn wrote:Congratulations Boston.

As a lifelong Cubs fan, all I can say is......

WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR!!

If the Red Sox can do it (over the hated Cardinals nonetheless), there is hope for us......

Beth
As a lifelong Cardinals fan, all I can say is . . .

SMILE WHEN YOU SAY THAT, SWEETIE!!! :D :( :( :(

Will O'Ban

Oh, yeah, congratulations Izzarina and all of you other Boston fans. Sigh!

susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Thank goodness. The Bambino can rest. Congrats to the Sox.

Phil, I liked your post very much. Baseball's big in my family, with nephews playing through college and one now coaching, and my son-in-law who played AAA ball. My brother and his family are huge Braves fans, my daughter and I rabid Yankees fans. When living in San Diego we regularly attended Padres games. The play-offs and World Series are a yearly ritual with the two of us.

And another little movie that I watch nearly every time I see it's on tv: The Sandlot. Great story about kids and their obsession with baseball.

Susan
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Well, I was so disappointed when the ghost of Babe Ruth didn't rise in center field, gave a long and dreadful moan and was blown away on the fresh late-night breeze.

I'm happy for the Sox! I always feel that if the Yankees don't win, at least the Sox should. ;)

-------------
Ridseard wrote:Some individuals still believe that cynicism, particularly regarding American institutions, is the ultimate in sophistication and fashionability. Wake up, folks. Postmodernism (and all which that entails) is in its death throes.

Guess what! It's okay to feel good that Boston won, or feel bad that St. Louis lost. Believe it or not, your genitals are not going to fall off.
Ridseard, could you let us know who "some individuals" are? I'd like to know if I've offended your American institutional sensibilities. And don't worry, I can handle it. I really don't like this ominous "I won't name names, but..." stuff. Thanks.
/Bloomfield
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

So when does it all start again and who should I cheer for next season?
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
TomB

Post by TomB »

jbarter wrote:So when does it all start again and who should I cheer for next season?

Well, the actual season starts in April, and you should ALWAYS cheer for the RED SOX, of course. :D

All the Best,

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

Bloomfield wrote: Ridseard, could you let us know who "some individuals" are? I'd like to know if I've offended your American institutional sensibilities. And don't worry, I can handle it. I really don't like this ominous "I won't name names, but..." stuff. Thanks.
Self-doubt? . . . I doubt that. I understand you were plagued by a self-doubt once but it quickly went away.

Guilty conscience? . . . Nope (for obvious reasons).

Paranoia? . . . When people are really out to get you, that doesn't qualify.

Overly sensitive, perhaps? . . . Even I can't believe I asked that.

Don't take it so hard, Bloom . . . I don't think you could ever offend anyone. :boggle:

Will O'Ban

burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

jbarter wrote:So when does it all start again and who should I cheer for next season?
If you really want to be frustrated you can try backing the Cleveland Indians. No, not the cricket-playing Indians. The Cleveland Indians are a baseball team that is as hapless as the Chicago White Sox, having won the "World" Series only 2 (or 3) times in 100 years. Indians fans are used to losing so that when they do win the joy is that much greater. It's a character builder.
Mike
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

The NEW YORK YANKEES. Otherwise you will be sorely disappointed next October.

Susan
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

toughknot wrote:Baseball, a sport I loved to play. Pro baseball on TV , the ultimate sedative. Puts me to sleep by the bottom of the second inning. I miss watching Hurley.Anyone have any VHS video tapes of ANY Hurley games I can purchase, borrow , copy? And Irish football,THAT'S a great sport to watch as well.
The game is called Hurling,the bat (so to speak) is called a Hurley though better known as a Hurl.

A Man's game ,no doubt.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats