Total Lunar eclipse, Oct 27

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
spittin_in_the_wind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! A nice big shooting star just went by real close to it! Woo Hoo!!!

:party:

Robin
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Peggy wrote: The thing that amazes me is that so many parts of the world are able to see this at the same time. Same moon. It makes everything seem so much smaller and closer together.
Amen
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

Peggy wrote:At 9:26 ET, the moon is still bright, shiny white--the brightest I've seen it in ages. Really spectacular.
We observed that here also. About an hour or so before the eclipse offically started the moonlight changed from its burnt orange color that I referenced in an earlier post to an incredibly brilliant bright white that almost hurt our eyes looking at it.

Will O'Ban

Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

It looks like the shadow is beginning to move off. There is a bit of brightening occurring from about 12 midnite to 7, but it's just barely a hint and right at the edge.

I had noticed the moon was burnt orange right before the eclipse. In the fall here, the moon looks like that a good bit of the time. It's how I tell it's fall, in fact. "Oh! LOOOK! The moon is orangey! It must be FALL! That explains why the stores have put out the winter selection of bathing suits."

I'm also attuned to leaves changing color. I watch for them. There are some maple trees on campus. Someday, I'm certain, I will see a leaf change color and I'll know it's autumn.

It's now 12 after midnight, and the left edge of the moon is completely out. Again, it's that brilliant, shiny white--like new Corningware.
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

spittin_in_the_wind wrote:YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! A nice big shooting star just went by real close to it! Woo Hoo!!!

Robin
I must have blinked :o

But I did see this

Awsome
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

NorCalMusician wrote:
spittin_in_the_wind wrote:YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! A nice big shooting star just went by real close to it! Woo Hoo!!!

Robin

But I did see this

Awsome
Pretty incredible, huh, NorCal. Please refer back to my earlier comments on page 1 of this thread. I believe you now owe me one, buddy . . .

God

franfriel

Post by franfriel »

It was stunning here in Connecticut!

Fran
8)
An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth creates a world that is blind and toothless - Ghandi

I suspect blind and toothless may not be optimum for good whistle playing...but then again...
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

It was gorgeous! It was a bit to windy for the small telescopes that we had on top of a 31 story building, did some quick looks then just laid back on the roof and watched it.

Alas the light pollution of the city washed most everything else out of the sky.

But still, it was beautiful!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

The big dipper was HUGE on the NW horizon. Several people accross the fairway had back porch lights on (geez, what were they thinking? :roll: ) or I would have tried a pic of that too. Probably should have anyway. :(

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

NorCalMusician wrote:Image
Thanks for posting that. I missed the whole thing. We were totally covered with clouds :cry:

It sucks, because Tuesday night was gorgeous, with an incredibly bright moon. I was hoping
last night would be the same...
Will O'B

Post by Will O'B »

NorCalMusician wrote:The big dipper was HUGE on the NW horizon. Several people accross the fairway had back porch lights on (geez, what were they thinking? :roll: ) or I would have tried a pic of that too. Probably should have anyway. :(
What??? You're taking credit for the pics now? If it wasn't for me you wouldn't have had anything to take pictures of. BTW, the big dipper and that shooting star out east were just a couple of extras that I threw in at no charge. Even in my old age I've still got it!!

God

PS: Change your underwear, NorCal. Cleanliness is next to Godliness.

izzarina

Post by izzarina »

NorCalMusician wrote:

Robin

But I did see this

Awsome
Oh..THAT'S what your avatar is! I was wondering....
We saw it here too....beautiful! It looked like a pumpkin :)
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
IDAwHOa

Post by IDAwHOa »

izzarina wrote: Oh..THAT'S what your avatar is! I was wondering....
We saw it here too....beautiful! It looked like a pumpkin :)
Oh, I see we are on speaking terms again!!! :party:

Maybe I should photoshop a very faint eyeball in there. That would be perfect for this halloween season!

izzarina

Post by izzarina »

NorCalMusician wrote:Oh, I see we are on speaking terms again!!! :party:
Oops....I forogt :P
Maybe I should photoshop a very faint eyeball in there. That would be perfect for this halloween season!

I would tell you that would be really cool, but I'm not speaking to you :D
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Peggy wrote:I'm also attuned to leaves changing color. I watch for them. There are some maple trees on campus. Someday, I'm certain, I will see a leaf change color and I'll know it's autumn.
Peggy, I lived in Florida for 37 years; so believe me, I feel your pain. The smart money's on bailing out of Swing State South, and coming up here to bucolic North Kakalakee... :D

Thank you, by the way, for your vivid descriptions. I missed the dang thing, as the blasted cloud cover never did break--but almost felt as though I could see it after all!