murdering your family doesn't bring happiness

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mamakash
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mamakash »

Do we have any scientologists on this board that might be able to explain the quote cranberry posted? It may be a metaphor and not meant to be taken literally.

If Ed Wood had started his own religion, I'd hop right on board. His stuff is so bizzare, it might be right. "Plan nine from outer space" . . . bad fiction or the door to something greater? Did you know that sunlight is explosive? Or that vitamins are one of our recent scientific discoveries? :lol:
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Wanderer wrote:I put a link to that site about 3 messages up from yours Some folks may have mistaken it for a signature ;)
We're cross-posting, Wanderer! I just edited my post to include an acknowledgement of your previously posting the site.
I'll stop now.

Susan
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

susnfx wrote:
Wanderer wrote:I put a link to that site about 3 messages up from yours Some folks may have mistaken it for a signature ;)
We're cross-posting, Wanderer! I just edited my post to include an acknowledgement of your previously posting the site.
I'll stop now.

Susan
Hehe!
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Ron L. Hubbard never actually met MY family.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

I read all the way through Dianetics about 15 years ago - I thought it was a science ficition novel until I was well into it - when I realized it was supposed to be non-fiction it was even wackier and more fun! :)
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

OutOfBreath wrote:I read all the way through Dianetics about 15 years ago - I thought it was a science ficition novel until I was well into it - when I realized it was supposed to be non-fiction it was even wackier and more fun! :)
I don't know if it's in recent editions, but the 1970-something edition I had tried to make the case that we evolved brains because without them animals were too stupid not to run into things.

Basically it went something like this:
Pain causes charge. Nerve cells like charge, and clump together. When we didn't have brains, we ran our heads into stuff a lot, so caused a lot of pain. So we eventually got a lot of nerve cells clumped up there. Voila, a brain!

I suppose that explains why people smack their forheads with their palm when they do something stupid. It's an instinctual reaction to make you smarter :P

(edited for typos)
Last edited by Wanderer on Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

mamakash wrote:Do we have any scientologists on this board that might be able to explain the quote cranberry posted? It may be a metaphor and not meant to be taken literally.
I'll have a stab (metaphorically), though I'm not a scientologist.

Happiness can be reached through self-denial.

Giving up smoking, not eating that last chocolate biscuit, not watching East Enders, that sort of thing.

Murdering your family cannot generate this form of virtuous aura of smugness, because it isn't habit forming, and so you can't feel good about breaking the habit.

Therefore murdering your family does not lead to long-term happiness. QED
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Wanderer wrote:Basically it went something like this:
Pain causes charge. Nerve cells like charge, and clump together. When we didn't have brains, we ran our heads into stuff a lot, so caued a lot of pain. So we eventually got a lot of nerve cells clumped up there. Voila, a brain!
Even paraphrased, that's pure Hubbard. What a genius! :lol:
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Martin Milner wrote:Therefore murdering your family does not lead to long-term happiness. QED
Where does quantum electrodynamics come into it? :-?

I must admit that I enjoyed The Worlds of Null A and the rest when I was in high school. I was very disappointed with the quality of writing when I tried to re-read it a few years back. Actually, though, that's happened with several sci-fi books. One problem is that I now have some vague understanding of science.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I went looking for an L. Ron quote and found a reference to it here http://www.sciforums.com/archive/index.php/t-12720:

"If I wanted to make ALOT of money, screw writing, I'd start my own religion!"
Mike Wright

--Goethe
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Isn't the idea of a science fiction writer starting a religion a little ludicrous? However, it made him rich.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

It all depends on your family, frankly.
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

RonKiley wrote:Isn't the idea of a science fiction writer starting a religion a little ludicrous? However, it made him rich.

Ron
It also made him a paranoid who put himself in self-imposed exile from most of the rest of humanity, because he felt the government was out to get him...first out to sea, and then later hiding in a ranch unknown to most everyone. Not the way I'd like to spend my last years, rich or not.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Yes it does.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Wanderer wrote:
RonKiley wrote:Isn't the idea of a science fiction writer starting a religion a little ludicrous? However, it made him rich.

Ron
It also made him a paranoid...
Hard to be sure. His science fiction already had a bit of a paranoid quality to it. He might have already been well on his way. Maybe being paranoid contributed to his "religious" ideas?
Mike Wright

--Goethe