Total Lunar eclipse, Oct 27

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MarkB

Total Lunar eclipse, Oct 27

Post by MarkB »

For those that are interested, there will be a total lunar eclipse on October 27, 2004.

Full info here and time zones.

http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/L ... Oct28.html

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Paul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Paul »

Cool! Thanks for posting this up, Mark. I hope it's a clear night.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Something to ponder-- as you look at the orange color of the moon during the eclipse, realize that this color comes from simultaneous sunsets around the entire circumference of the Earth, as viewed from the moon...What a sight that must be!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

brewerpaul wrote:Something to ponder-- as you look at the orange color of the moon during the eclipse, realize that this color comes from simultaneous sunsets around the entire circumference of the Earth, as viewed from the moon...What a sight that must be!
"Hey, honey, wanna go see the sunset?"

"Sure"

"OK, I'll go fire up the space shuttle."

I think the West Coast is gonna get skunked this time. Too early in the day. :( Besides, we are socked in by a big storm right now. Don't know if it will clear by tomorrow afternoon.

Now if it was NEXT week...... :roll:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

NorCalMusician wrote:I think the West Coast is gonna get skunked this time. Too early in the day. :( Besides, we are socked in by a big storm right now. Don't know if it will clear by tomorrow afternoon.
Actually, it should be visible up here in Seattle. It will rise (already partially eclipsed) while there is still daylight, but total eclipse is after sunset. And it's supposed to be clear tomorrow evening! Of course, the forecasts here (as elsewhere) are notoriously wrong...

John
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

brewerpaul wrote:Something to ponder-- as you look at the orange color of the moon during the eclipse, realize that this color comes from simultaneous sunsets around the entire circumference of the Earth, as viewed from the moon...What a sight that must be!
I can be standing outside, gazing at the eclipse, and thinking about my parents looking up and not seeing it, because ain't no eclips visible from over there. Oh well... we were at the best part of the world for viewing a total eclipse of the sun, over there, once. Astrologers from all over the world converged on the city.
Reasonable person
Walden
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

jsluder wrote:
NorCalMusician wrote:I think the West Coast is gonna get skunked this time. Too early in the day. :( Besides, we are socked in by a big storm right now. Don't know if it will clear by tomorrow afternoon.
Actually, it should be visible up here in Seattle. It will rise (already partially eclipsed) while there is still daylight, but total eclipse is after sunset. And it's supposed to be clear tomorrow evening! Of course, the forecasts here (as elsewhere) are notoriously wrong...

John
Yeah, I forgot the times I wrote down were Pacific and not Eastern. :oops: Now all I have to do is hope for this storm to clear out.

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

NorCalMusician wrote: we are socked in by a big storm right now. Don't know if it will clear by tomorrow afternoon.

Now if it was NEXT week...... :roll:
OK, I'll see what I can do. Just don't expect any miracles . . . that parting of the red sea took a lot out of me . . . and, besides, I'm not as young as I used to be. Humans . . . sheeesh!!! Why did I ever bother? When I created the flying t'rex, the evolutionary thing just got totally out of control.

Keep the faith,

God

PS: Don't make me send my son back down there!
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Walden wrote:... we were at the best part of the world for viewing a total eclipse of the sun, over there, once. Astrologers from all over the world converged on the city.
Astrologers? Not astronomers? Please tell me you're not going mystical on us, Walden! :wink:
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

There are clear skies here tonight ana I'm goin to be lookin!!!!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Minnefunky is overcast. Drat.
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

It's 6:30 p.m. central time. Already the moon has assumed a burnt-orangish glow. Kind of eerie. Still have 2 - 3 hours though before the big event. Hope the weather is holding up for everyone else out there. Here it's partly cloudy, but not all that bad for viewing. :thumbsup:

Any of my fellow moon-watchers have any news to report?

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
IDAwHOa

Post by IDAwHOa »

Bright full Sun at 5:20!!! No sign of the moon to be found.

scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Full dark here, but what the weatherpersons refer to as "mostly cloudy." Plenty of time till totality, though...maybe I'll luck out. Or not.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

At 8:42 Eastern, the skies over west central Florida are CLEAR with an offshore breeze suggesting the possibility of open windows and good sleeping weather tonight!

The moon is strikingly bright white, having risen to about 35 degrees in the northeast sky.

A few little brown bats and some night herons on their evening rounds, but no signs of eclipse yet . . .