M&E flute never got home! ... wrong!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Leonard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

M&E flute never got home! ... wrong!

Post by Leonard »

Yep, saddly, I've been waiting for a Rudall 6 keys flute from Mr Cronnolly for almost two months and the conclusion is ... well ... lost in the mail...

It never got home! Mr Cronnolly expects to get flute back from the mail sometime. He said it happened quite a lot before and he will register the next shipping.
Cause, yes, he kindly said he would make another flute shortly.

Did this story happened to any of you before?

Leo
Last edited by Leonard on Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SirNick
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

Leo,
That is a NIGHTMARE! I've got a flute on order that I'm hanging on the edge of my seat for. If it got lost in the mail, I might self destruct!
"You have my undivided attention"
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Oh, Leo, I'm sorry. That's bloody awful. Oh well, maybe the karmic flute gods will smile even more on this next one and it will all be for the best in the end. Meanwhile, yeah, go ahead and kick the wall. ;-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
eilam

Post by eilam »

how about, we pick a time, and we all punch the wall together? that should fix things up.
I feel for you man, I know the excitement and anticipation, I think that should be a life sentence for guilty delivery person,
hey, maybe we should all go postal?
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

That's what I tought Eilam ... open a post office ... private... 8)

I'll think about it...

Leo
rh

Post by rh »

early last july i bought a homemade bamboo flute off a guy in missouri (i'm in illinois, the two states share a border) on ebay. i paid him through paypal same day, he sent it out next day... it took 6 or 7 weeks to get to me. he'd actually refunded my payment since we both figured it was lost... when it showed up late last august (sure enough sporting the postmark from the day after the auction) i repaid him...

so ye never know, it could still be making its way to you.
there is no end to the walking
phcook

Post by phcook »

I bought in January an Olwell Pratten. It was broken by postal service.

It was fully insured, but .... Argh!
Breizh soner
KCJiang

Post by KCJiang »

My experience is that sending mail to Canada takes a long time. Year ago, I sent a flute to Canada, it took long time (not sure how many days) to get to the person. Recently, I put money in the envelope (registered mail) and that took 15 days to get to the person in Canada.

Hopefully, this is just the mail delay.
eric reiswig

Post by eric reiswig »

Also, right now there's apparently a 5-6 week backlog of parcels waiting to clear Canadian customs and enter the country. So the flute might not be lost for good.
djm

Post by djm »

Don't send anything regular mail between the US and Canada. Send by registered or priority post (costs an extra buck or so) and delivery is usually less than a week.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

phcook wrote:I bought in January an Olwell Pratten. It was broken by postal service.

It was fully insured, but .... Argh!
OUCH, that really hurts. Even insurance can't pay for another 7 years anticipating one of those!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

The customs delay sounds promising in this case, it could very well be there.

We sent a parcel from Montreal to Brittany (western France) last year in early December, and it went via Vancouver to clear customs. The parcel didn't actually arrive in France until the following May.

So don't give up hope yet!
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

Thanks Eric for the link...it gives me back some hope...

There's still a flute somewhere out there flying to me!
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

During the past year I have been informed by some of my customers in rural Canada that they were charged a fairly sizable delivery surcharge, which they were not expecting. At first I thought it was just with UPS, so I recommended using USPS air parcel post. But the last parcel sent to northern Canada by USPS air parcel post also required a delivery surcharge. I would like to understand how to calculate this charge ahead of time.
eric reiswig

Post by eric reiswig »

I'm not an expert but here's my experience:

Pretty much any parcels coming into the country have Canadian GST tax due and payable on receipt. There may also be duty depending on the type and/or value of the item. In addition to these, UPS bills the receiver an extra $35 or so for customs brokerage fees. (They sometimes don't even invoice you, instead sending you to collections once it's gone over a certain time period.) The postal system is currently having crazy backlogs and delays, but they don't charge exorbitant brokerage fees to the receiver. There shouldn't be any surcharges for rural areas if a parcel comes by Canada Post; courier companies often have big surcharges for rural and/or residential delivery.

It's gotten to the point now where i flatly refuse to deal with any company in the US (or eBay sellers) who insist on using only UPS for shipments to Canada.

Be seeing you,

eric.