POLL: Should Chiff & Fipple Pardon Ashlee Simpson?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Should Chiff & Fipple Pardon Ashlee Simpson?

Yes
15%
No
14%
Chiff & Fipple should punish Ashlee Simpson
25%
Who is Ashlee Simpson and what are you talking about?
46%

Total votes: 65

Caj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Caj »

susnfx wrote:Turns out Simpson's father/manager says she uses the backup track to help her out because she has acid reflux and her voice was hoarse.
Is that the explanation now? They initially tried to explain away the lip-synching entirely, saying that the sound people were supposed to play a drum track, and somehow a recording of the song got in the machine instead. This didn't convince anyone tho.

Caj
emily_az
Location: Arizona, for the moment -- oops, make that Baltimore, MD

Lunasa

Post by emily_az »

NorCal wrote: This was a small, intimate croud of only several hundred people. They were using amps, of course, but I feel I still should have been able to hear at least something, if it even was only a quiet version. Whistle, pipes, flute and accoustic guitar. Heck, the neighbors across the golf course from us compliment me on my playing and they are 3 times as far away as this band was.

Hey there, a friend pointed me to this thread, & I simply have to respond. I was at that performance in Sebastopol, NorCal, & to imply the lads were faking it, is truly, one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, no offense intended. It wasn't intimate, it was an huge outdoor open-air pavilion tent full of hay & cold air & ppl that swallowed up sound like a black hole. My guess is someone kicked an extension cord out for a sec & plugged it back in, possibly Messr Ford up in the sound booth. I don't know what instrument you play, but I play flute, & whenever I need a good dose of humility, I go play outside. Lunasa would NEVER fake a performance, I'm just sitting here laughing at the idea. It was an incredible show & I seriously can't believe anyone left that show with any other perception. Sorry!
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Cranberry wrote:... people like Ashlee Simpson, Britney Spears, and Avril Lavigne who lip sing all the time get the adoration and awe of all the press and industry because they're pretty.
Well, that happens to me all the time, too, but I refuse to feel guilty about it. :evil:

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful!!!
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

If NorCal, Caj, or anybody wants an explanation of anything that occurred at a Lunasa concert, I'd go to their site and either send an email or post something on their message board. I looked at it last night for the first time in a long time...Kevin Crawford's wife is moderating the message board and appears to be extremely responsive to questions. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to explain what happened. Better than conjecture.

www.lunasa.ie

(It was just as easy to do it myself. I'll keep you posted on the response.)

Susan
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

ok, i did it...i posted it there..
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

NorCalMusician wrote:Amar, you will want to close your eyes for this.

Renee and I recently went to a Lunasa concert in Sebastopol. During the last song, the encore as a matter of fact, there was an apparent glitch in the sound system.

One minute there was all this beautiful music, then nothing but the sound of the drone on the pipes. NOTHING. It appeared as if they were continuine with their performance, but no sound other than the drone. Then all of a sudden the music was back on again.

Renee looked at each other in shock. This was a small, intimate croud of only several hundred people. They were using amps, of course, but I feel I still should have been able to hear at least something, if it even was only a quiet version. Whistle, pipes, flute and accoustic guitar. Heck, the neighbors across the golf course from us compliment me on my playing and they are 3 times as far away as this band was.

It has really left a bad feeling in my mind. $80 for a recorded concert? If anyone can explain why I should not feel this way, please let me know.
Technically such a glitch is quite possible, particularly in this day and age of digital multitrackers. Each instrument is assigned its own channel, and in the case of the pipes, for example, two (one mic for the drones, one for the chanter and low whistle when Cillian plays one). There's a thing called 'digital scene selection', very useful for setting up the monitors. You program a 'scene' wherein all channels are muted save one or two, say, in this case the drones, then set the on-stage monitor sound levels for the drones. Select another 'scene', so that drones and guitar are live, and balance the mix... and so on.

If you watch the sound-check before the start of a concert (Lunasa's in particular) you'll see how each monitor is adjusted in turn for each of the players. Kevin Crawford might like a monitor mix heavy on guitar, with pipes down and fiddle mid-range, say, and bass set just so, with his flute up some. The soundman goes through each player in turn, setting the monitor levels.

Plus, using digital scene selection, the soundman can press a button and all the faders automatically adjust to give emphasis to certain instruments over others, and automatically adjust the parametrics on each channel.

Plus, the bus master output to the monitors on stage are completely separate from the master channels out to the PA system. So, on stage, the band would still be hearing themselves playing fine through their monitors, and would be completely oblivious to the PA going down. That's the cool thing about monitor wedges, they isolate the performers from the PA and the audience.

So it's entirely possible that by some stroke of misfortune, a digital scene selection got selected which killed everything bar the one mic on the drones.

When I watched Lunasa in Oxford earlier this year, I was sitting three rows back from the stage, and during the sound-checks about the only thing I could hear unamplified was Cillian's pipes. The flute didn't carry well in that town hall unamplified. The bass is all-electric. I couldn't tell whether Sean's fiddle was all-electric or whether or not it's a mic he clips near the bridge. And of course the guitars are acoustic.

Hope that helps!
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
amar

Post by amar »

thanks. :)
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

amar wrote:thanks. :)
Yeah, that helps some. I wanted to go up and ask directly but they left sooo fast that I did not have a chance to.

Still odd that I could not hear ANY of the accoustic instruments at all.

Susan and Amar, can you post a link to the threads you started over there? Thanks.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
amar

Post by amar »

susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I sent an email. Figured I'd go right to the source.

Susan
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Just received this email from Tracy Crawford:

"Dear Susan,
Thank you for your email...of course it is not true!
I am waiting to hear from the bands sound engineer about what exactly happened at the show. I have spoken to Kevin and he said that it is a great compliment if people think Lúnasa's playing is so accurate that it sounds like they are miming!
Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Yours sincerely,

Tracy Crawford
On behalf of Lúnasa "
laurapalooza

Post by laurapalooza »

Hellooo and sorry to barge in - I am a total newby so feel free to make fun of me as much as you want - but I am on the Lunasa message boards all the time since they are my favorite band, and I think that to say they were gig-synching is just scandalous (in a funny sort of not-serious way) because, for one, anyone who is a true "Lúnatic" know the recordings very well, and would be able to tell that they were not really playing. They usually play the tunes faster live. Also, there have been instances where they start playing and then Kevin stops them to make some comment, which would obviously be impossible if they weren't really playing. And I went to see them this March, and there is absolutely no way what I heard was recorded! (Perhaps I am biased because I am a raging fanatic of theirs but still...)

Sooo...I know a comment on the situation from someone you've never heard of (me) probably is no help but rest assured, you did not waste the $80! (unless you thought they sucked, which if you did, I can't help you and nor will I speak to you)(no I'm kidding) I'd pay twice that to go see them again but that's just me...well if I would if I could, that is..heh.

-Laura :)

p.s. and if anyone is going to a Lunasa gig in the near future, tell Donogh (the guitarist) that Laura from Ohio said hi! hahahaha

p.p.s. bonjour amar
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Welcome to the C&F boards Laura, nice to see you outside the Lunasa boards. :D

-JES
amar

Post by amar »

heya laura, nice to see you here, this is where i hang out most of the time, a good, but quite insane gang, of course, not nearly as insane as over at the lunasa board... :D
see ya over there. :)
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I tend to watch for such things very carefully and I was only fifteen feet from the lads in Cleveland and they were playing the tunes live.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony