POLL: Should Chiff & Fipple Pardon Ashlee Simpson?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Should Chiff & Fipple Pardon Ashlee Simpson?

Yes
15%
No
14%
Chiff & Fipple should punish Ashlee Simpson
25%
Who is Ashlee Simpson and what are you talking about?
46%

Total votes: 65

IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Caj wrote: :o That's unbelievable. Wow.

And you still heard the pipe drone, was that through the amp, or did you hear that from the stage? Was that this year? And how long was the glitch?

If I were you, I'd certainly want an explanation.

Caj
Amar, I was thinking that you should not be afraid to link to this thread.

Caj, it was this year in September. No, the drone was definately not through an amp. Quite a different sound. The glitch was less than a minute, but long enough to process the "What happened and why can't I hear them anyway" thought. 30-45 seconds anyway.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

I saw Lunasa about 18 months ago. During one tune the guitarist stepped forward and motioned to the other band members to speed up--he felt the tune was being played too slow. That would be impossible if they were just pretending to play along with a recording.

Susan
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Walden wrote:
NorCalMusician wrote:It has really left a bad feeling in my mind. $80 for a recorded concert? If anyone can explain why I should not feel this way, please let me know.
Wasn't it worth it just to get to see Renee look at each other in shock?
:lol:
Caj

Post by Caj »

Nanohedron wrote:
Walden wrote:
NorCalMusician wrote:It has really left a bad feeling in my mind. $80 for a recorded concert? If anyone can explain why I should not feel this way, please let me know.
Wasn't it worth it just to get to see Renee look at each other in shock?
Holy crap, I HAVE TWO HEADS!! :boggle: :boggle:

Caj
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Caj wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
Walden wrote: Wasn't it worth it just to get to see Renee look at each other in shock?
Holy crap, I HAVE TWO HEADS!! :boggle: :boggle:

Caj
Holy crap, you DO have two heads!
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

Back in the 70's Electric Light Orchestra got skewered in the press for being caught playing to tape, ending the hype and possibly their careers.
Can't be mad at Ashley though, mostly because of the photo that accompanied the article on Netscape. She looks quite fetching in that little bodice. Mad? Nooo.
happyturkeyman

Post by happyturkeyman »

dwinterfield wrote:I saw a sound engineer on TV explaining that most big time performers have tracks to enhance (replace?) their vocals on bad days. I've been to some concerts with old rockers (my age) who certainly could have used some vocal enhancement (CSNY).

I'm still learning the whistle and have never played in a session, but I have played with a few other students. I gather one of the benefits of session playing is that, on a bad night, a player can skip a few rough spots, take an extra breath etc. Is that like lip syncing?

A side note is that I'm 3000 miles from home in Seattle, in a hotel, seeing morning TV that I never watch at home. I'm amazed that Today, Good Morning Amer. are continuing updates on Ashlee Simpson every 1/2 hr, 3 days after a bad moment on late-night TV. It's clearly the most important story in the country this week.
I think the lip singing scandal is a [insert political party] plot to get people to forget to vote on november 2nd.

:D
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Turns out Simpson's father/manager says she uses the backup track to help her out because she has acid reflux and her voice was hoarse.

Susan
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

glauber wrote:
Wanderer wrote:Maybe if I started whistle-synching some studio-massaged highly-reverbed production, I would make more money at gigs than I do now ;)
Of course you would(*). In fact, isn't there a new Riverdance in Vegas? :D

(*) Assuming you have nice legs, of course.
some people might think so ;)
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

glauber wrote:It wouldn't have been a big deal if it hadn't happened at Saturday Night Live. It's another nail in the coffin of what used (10-15 years ago) to be the best TV show in the USA.
Yes. You think the thing is dead and then all of a sudden it's eyes snap open and it sits up in its coffin.
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

I guess it's a matter of opinion- I've thought SNL was lousy for longer ago than 15 years. - I used to watch it waiting for SCTV to come on after it. -mike
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

ashley is to be applauded. oh sorry i'm key synching.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

DaleWisely wrote:
glauber wrote:It wouldn't have been a big deal if it hadn't happened at Saturday Night Live. It's another nail in the coffin of what used (10-15 years ago) to be the best TV show in the USA.
Yes. You think the thing is dead and then all of a sudden it's eyes snap open and it sits up in its coffin.
And it is definately TIME to revive, if that 's possible.

I use to use SNL as a gauge as to who was really good and who was studio engineered. The acoustics are/were undoubtedly pretty strange in that studio. If someone sounded good or on rare occasions actually sounded close to their recording then I/d think they are really good musicians.
Now I'll just think they can really lip sync.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Caj wrote:
NorCalMusician wrote:Renee and I recently went to a Lunasa concert in Sebastopol. During the last song, the encore as a matter of fact, there was an apparent glitch in the sound system.

One minute there was all this beautiful music, then nothing but the sound of the drone on the pipes. NOTHING. It appeared as if they were continuine with their performance, but no sound other than the drone. Then all of a sudden the music was back on again.

Renee looked at each other in shock. This was a small, intimate croud of only several hundred people. They were using amps, of course, but I feel I still should have been able to hear at least something, if it even was only a quiet version. Whistle, pipes, flute and accoustic guitar. Heck, the neighbors across the golf course from us compliment me on my playing and they are 3 times as far away as this band was.
:o That's unbelievable. Wow.

And you still heard the pipe drone, was that through the amp, or did you hear that from the stage? Was that this year? And how long was the glitch?

If I were you, I'd certainly want an explanation.

Caj
Maybe the drone was drowning the others out, without the amplification?
Reasonable person
Walden
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

happyturkeyman wrote: I think the lip singing scandal is a [insert political party] plot to get people to forget to vote on november 2nd.

:D
That party would be the Republicans as we Democrats are conceited enough to think that the nonvoters would vote Democratic, if they would just go down and vote. There may be something to that... as many turkeys as the Democrats are running... why vote?

I'm planning to vote.
Reasonable person
Walden