POLL: Should Chiff & Fipple Pardon Ashlee Simpson?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Should Chiff & Fipple Pardon Ashlee Simpson?

Yes
15%
No
14%
Chiff & Fipple should punish Ashlee Simpson
25%
Who is Ashlee Simpson and what are you talking about?
46%

Total votes: 65

MarkB

Post by MarkB »

She could escape punishment, if I'm allowed to finger sync the whistle/flute on St. Patrick's day after eight hours of playing.

Alas, I have come to believe that nobody in popular music actually sings at all anymore, either on CD, radio, concerts, television all which can be manipulated by the use of technology. So what is real these days!

But then who cares, she will be unknown in two years and thrown in the ashcan of one hit wonders, or in drug rehab!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Exactly. SNL is supposed to be a premier space, and you should have to prove yourself before you perform there. One of the reasons is because it's supposed to be live. We've seen many famous acts falter when they play there. So now, the music industry arrogantly puts this poor girl in a stage she couldn't possibly be ready for, and uses lip-synching to cover up. They probably think we're stoopid.

But it's not her fault. The whole system is screwed up.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I take it this person is a pretty girl who has a single out, on the strength that she has a sister who also has released singles, and that she lip-synched to her single on a live show? And the synch was off because of technical difficulties?

If you took all lip-synching off TV, what would all the tape-spinners do with their time? This girl has provided employment for many people by not being able to sing live. Give her a medal.
glauber

Post by glauber »

Martin Milner wrote:I take it this person is a pretty girl who has a single out, on the strength that she has a sister who also has released singles, and that she lip-synched to her single on a live show? And the synch was off because of technical difficulties?

If you took all lip-synching off TV, what would all the tape-spinners do with their time? This girl has provided employment for many people by not being able to sing live. Give her a medal.
It wasn't just off. It was a total messup. They played the wrong song (they repeated her first song instead of playing the second) and she left the stage, embarrassed. The "band" continued to "play" as if nothing unusual had happened.

If things had gone as planned, it would have been just another forgettable performance; as it is, it's still keeping us entertained, several days afterwards. It actually was the best thing that could have happened in this case! :)
--Wellsprings--
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Maybe if I started whistle-synching some studio-massaged highly-reverbed production, I would make more money at gigs than I do now ;)
glauber

Post by glauber »

Wanderer wrote:Maybe if I started whistle-synching some studio-massaged highly-reverbed production, I would make more money at gigs than I do now ;)
Of course you would(*). In fact, isn't there a new Riverdance in Vegas? :D

(*) Assuming you have nice legs, of course.
--Wellsprings--
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Wanderer wrote:Maybe if I started whistle-synching some studio-massaged highly-reverbed production, I would make more money at gigs than I do now ;)
The same people assume that NA flutes naturally have that echoey sound.
Reasonable person
Walden
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Amar, you will want to close your eyes for this.

Renee and I recently went to a Lunasa concert in Sebastopol. During the last song, the encore as a matter of fact, there was an apparent glitch in the sound system.

One minute there was all this beautiful music, then nothing but the sound of the drone on the pipes. NOTHING. It appeared as if they were continuine with their performance, but no sound other than the drone. Then all of a sudden the music was back on again.

Renee looked at each other in shock. This was a small, intimate croud of only several hundred people. They were using amps, of course, but I feel I still should have been able to hear at least something, if it even was only a quiet version. Whistle, pipes, flute and accoustic guitar. Heck, the neighbors across the golf course from us compliment me on my playing and they are 3 times as far away as this band was.

It has really left a bad feeling in my mind. $80 for a recorded concert? If anyone can explain why I should not feel this way, please let me know.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

NorCalMusician wrote:It has really left a bad feeling in my mind. $80 for a recorded concert? If anyone can explain why I should not feel this way, please let me know.
Wasn't it worth it just to get to see Renee look at each other in shock?
Reasonable person
Walden
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

This whole lip-synching thing is totally out of control. We went to a Smothers Brothers concert a couple of years ago (I know, they're no Ashley Simpson, but in '68 they were a hot commodity on CBS). Anyway, it was pretty clear that instead of actually performing they were just going through the motions while one of their tapes was playing into the p.a. system. I admit that their spoken comedy was live and the comedy relies in part on Tommy's mugging which meant that you had to be there to get the full flavor of their show. However, we all felt somewhat cheated after paying $75 for the three of us to sit and basically listen to one of their cd's. (Not all was lost however, as the Yo Yo Man's tricks were as good as ever.)

[Sorry, NorCal. You must have posted yours while I was still typing mine. But we are apparently of the same opinion: paying to see a recorded concert is uncalled for.]

Will O'Ban

Edited by Will O'B so many times because I can't type worth a *&%#@!! today.
Last edited by Will O'B on Tue Oct 26, 2004 11:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Walden wrote:
NorCalMusician wrote:It has really left a bad feeling in my mind. $80 for a recorded concert? If anyone can explain why I should not feel this way, please let me know.
Wasn't it worth it just to get to see Renee look at each other in shock?
That would have been $240 worth of tickets then....

If you could hear nothing at all from the band then there must have been a backing track operating.I find this impossible to believe but as you were there and I was not I accept your word and can only registar my disgust at such a cheap con.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
glauber

Post by glauber »

Did you look at them closely? I don't think the real Kevin Crawford has a wooden leg and a handlebar moustache.
--Wellsprings--
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Steven, i know, you told me this already, it's crazy, but i refuse to believe they were 'lip-syncing'....i would like to post this thread at the lunasa-board, but i haven't got the guts to do so, they would all kill me there..
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

dubhlinn wrote:That would have been $240 worth of tickets then.....
Tickets for our seats were about $40 each for the two of us. Still doesn't take the sting away. I know I should contact the organizers of the event, but I keep forgetting to while at work. :oops:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Caj

Post by Caj »

NorCalMusician wrote:Renee and I recently went to a Lunasa concert in Sebastopol. During the last song, the encore as a matter of fact, there was an apparent glitch in the sound system.

One minute there was all this beautiful music, then nothing but the sound of the drone on the pipes. NOTHING. It appeared as if they were continuine with their performance, but no sound other than the drone. Then all of a sudden the music was back on again.

Renee looked at each other in shock. This was a small, intimate croud of only several hundred people. They were using amps, of course, but I feel I still should have been able to hear at least something, if it even was only a quiet version. Whistle, pipes, flute and accoustic guitar. Heck, the neighbors across the golf course from us compliment me on my playing and they are 3 times as far away as this band was.
:o That's unbelievable. Wow.

And you still heard the pipe drone, was that through the amp, or did you hear that from the stage? Was that this year? And how long was the glitch?

If I were you, I'd certainly want an explanation.

Caj