thumb rests for whistles that need them

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I've made a discovery that I want to
share with my comrade whistle-fanatics.
Susato thumb rests come in different
sizes, and they fit a host of whistles.

These thumb rests are plastic, inexpensive,
sturdy; they come in a choice of colors.
The rests for some of the lower key Susatos fit Copeland low Ds, and Overton low
Ds, Water Weasel As and B-flats.

The standard soprano D thumb rests
fit water weasel Ds and Cs, also Abell
Ds and Cs. Probably they will also fit
Abell B-flats and As. Of course they
fit Susato whistles.

The thumb rests make these whistles
easier to handle and control. They tend
to remove the need to balance the whistle
with a lower finger when playing high
notes, etc. I am finding them very
helpful on the Copeland low D; generally
useful.

That I don't say the thumbrests work on
a whistle means only that I don't have it.

They are advertised on the Susato website; they come in packets of different sizes, or
you can buy them individually.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jim stone on 2001-07-05 18:32 ]</font>
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

I have always had trouble keeping a grip on my Overton soprano D because the part of the mouthpiece that goes between your lips is very short and as slick as glass.
Recently I have started using the snap-on thumbrest from my Susato soprano D on my Overton, and the difference in playability is just incredible.
I no longer have to cheat and keep my right ring finger down whenever possible which has greatly increased my fingering speed.
I'm so impressed with the results that I'm considering buying Susato thumb rests for all my whistles... I only wish Susato published the size of their thumb rests instead of just numbering them 1-6.
Which one is the standard size that fits most Susato soprano whistles?
I'd also like to know which one fits standard 1/2" diameter whistles and which one would be best suited for the Overton low D I have on it's way.
Anyone who's bought the full set of six thumb rests care to post what diameter whistles they fit?
I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be interested in knowing this information.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Coyote

Post by Coyote »

You could also make thumbrests out of rubber band and a piece of cork (or any suitable material). Another way is to use Blu-tack. Both not aesthetically pleasing, but they do have that home-made feel, are easily removable and only require materials lying about the average home :smile:
Spot Beagle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Spot Beagle »

DUCT TAPE

There are two things in this world man can not do with out. that's duct tape and bailing wire. Just tape your whistle to your thunb, or your lips, and never wory about dropping it again.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

"There are two things in this world man can not do with out. that's duct tape and bailing wire. "

Don't forget caulking compound-- covers a multitude of sins!! ( but not recommended for whistles)
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I believe the smallest Susato thumb rest
(which I reckon is a 1) fits their
soprano D. Contrary to what I said
above, it also fits the Copeland low
D, on account of the conical bore.
A wider rest is needed for the Overton
low D, I think it's the one that fits
the Susato A. Well, Susato sells
packs containing all the sizes--not
much money and worth it, I think.
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Thanks Jim... I was afraid they didn't make anything smaller than the one that fits their soprano D whistles.
It would sure be nice to have some for 1/2" diameter whistles though... maybe their high G and F whistles will have a smaller bore, we'll just have to wait until they come out and see.
I'll get a couple of packages and see what works... I need to replace one I broke anyway.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

On 2001-11-26 01:16, Spot Beagle wrote:
DUCT TAPE
Shewt, Beagle, why not just cut to the chase and use superglue? :smile: or become one with the whistle and use epoxy?
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Ken Johnson

Susato Thumbrest Sizes

Post by Ken Johnson »

Internal Diameter of the set I received today, when not on a whistle:

# size
0 17/32"
1 19/32"
2 21/32"
3 24/32"
4 26/32"
5 28/32"
6 32/32"
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Re: Susato Thumbrest Sizes

Post by IDAwHOa »

Ken Johnson wrote:Internal Diameter of the set I received today, when not on a whistle:

# size
6 32/32"
My guess would be that is 1" :P

:lol:

Thanks for posting that information, very helpful.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

brewerpaul wrote:
"There are two things in this world man can not do with out. that's duct tape and bailing wire. "

Don't forget caulking compound-- covers a multitude of sins!! ( but not recommended for whistles)
Actually, that's what I used to tweak my Oak, and it turned out pretty good, once it had cured thoroughly. I couldn't get out to look for blue tack, so I used what was available. It is messy, though.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Here's an alternate device, a nametag strap attached to the Jubilee practice low D using a rubber band. When used with the drinking straw air-flow-reduction device, the whole thing is a bit saxophone-like.

I ordered my first whistle, a Dixon soprano D, from the Whistle Shop, and got a Susato thumb rest for it, but on the advice of several Chiffers, I removed it and never used it. It seems to have wandered off now.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've played Irish flute most of my life. My band Celtic Waves has been performing in Honolulu for the last 17 years.

Post by clark »

A more asthetically pleasing option than rubber bands are "O" rings. Find an "O" ring of the right size at your local hardware store and slip it onto the whistle (sometimes that is all that is necessary). Then while you are in the hardware store look around for something small at a right angle. I have found some. Last time I did this I found a small brass shelf support thingy. I had to about three minutes of grinding to make it work, but it looks nice.

Clark
Jim Wright

Thumb Rests

Post by Jim Wright »

Have been using the Susato thumb rests for several months now and plan to order more. The only thing I have found that once u put them on - leave them alone. I put the one inch on my Low D and then after several months decided to polish the whistle. Started to pull the thumb rest off and it cracked as it came off ( I was taking my time). I also had one crack as I tried to put it on. But, be that as it may ... once on .. they sure do help me control the whistle.

Jim
Joe_Atlanta

Post by Joe_Atlanta »

One of the only positive things to come out of my Susato VSB experience was the thumb rest. It now rotates between my Perri (with a couple of wraps of tape), C Sweetone and a Shaw G. The big Shaw needs it badly, it's weight and conical shape seems designed to slide through my fingers if I keep my fingers relaxed.
Darwin wrote:Here's an alternate device, a nametag strap attached to the Jubilee practice low D using a rubber band.
Thanks for pic, that's a good idea for that big thing. Been using a rubber band/paper clip thumb rest on mine and still feel like I need more support for "Mongo".

BTW, nice avatar. Got me thinking about getting out my old Dylan records. :thumbsup: