Winter Chiff Gathering (Already???)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Anybody else planning on bringing kids? I'll have my 11-year-old daughter in tow, and she'd love to know if there are likely to be any other kids around.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Darwin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Darwin »

blackhawk wrote:
DCrom wrote:
Darwin wrote:Good idea. Maybe we could pick up Blackhawk and DCrom along the way?

If I drive, I might even be willing to temporarily play something other than Tex-Mex on the radio. (Not that I really want to drive all the way, but I don't mind using my van.)

Anybody interested?
That might just work out - Blackhawk and I live fairly close together, if he's interested. Might have my #2 daughter along; she hasn't decided.

I rather like Tex-Mex music, anyway. Pity my Spanish is awfully rusty. :lol:
I don't think Mrs Blackhawk is planning on going, so this would work for me, too. What time should we plan on meeting?
Having started all this, I think I'd better back out. My wife seems to be getting weaker, and I'm not entirely confident about my son's ability to handle her while I'm gone. He's pretty strong, but he doesn't have the experience.

Hate to miss it, though.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Redwolf wrote:Anybody else planning on bringing kids? I'll have my 11-year-old daughter in tow, and she'd love to know if there are likely to be any other kids around.

Redwolf
My daughter's 11 also, and was at the last one. She enjoyed herself, but hasn't decided whether to come or not. (Mom and her older sister aren't coming)
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

DCrom wrote:
Redwolf wrote:Anybody else planning on bringing kids? I'll have my 11-year-old daughter in tow, and she'd love to know if there are likely to be any other kids around.

Redwolf
My daughter's 11 also, and was at the last one. She enjoyed herself, but hasn't decided whether to come or not. (Mom and her older sister aren't coming)
Nathan, also 11 will also be in tow. I know there is a video player available, don't know about DVD. He will probably bring his handheld game and we could also bring PS2 if Tony says OK to that (although it MIGHT disract some of the adults that are into that!!!! :o )
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Darwin wrote: Having started all this, I think I'd better back out. My wife seems to be getting weaker, and I'm not entirely confident about my son's ability to handle her while I'm gone. He's pretty strong, but he doesn't have the experience.

Hate to miss it, though.
Oh, Mike, sorry to hear about your wife not doing well. I was really looking forward to tempting you with my Bleazey G and a few other goodies I have picked up over the last few months. Wish her well for me and take care.

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I'm sorry to hear about your wife, Mike. Also I'd have enjoyed meeting you.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Mike, let me add my deepest sympathy. I don't know what to say beyond that.

I'd looked forward to meeting you again, but family has to come first.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

blackhawk wrote:I'm sorry to hear about your wife, Mike. Also I'd have enjoyed meeting you.
DCrom wrote:Mike, let me add my deepest sympathy. I don't know what to say beyond that.

I'd looked forward to meeting you again, but family has to come first.
Thanks, guys. If I'm not in Texas by the time Dana holds his, I might try for that one, as it's a bit less of a trip, so I'd feel more justified in just going up for a couple of hours.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

We'll miss you, Mike!

Justine
ancatsidhe

Any Chance of Carpool?

Post by ancatsidhe »

okay... I'm quite new to the board. This is my first post, in fact. My mother directed me to the board because I've been looking for likeminded persons with an appreciation of Irish and Traditional music. The long and short of it is, I'm in San Jose and I'd like to be able to join in at a gathering like this-- I'm not very good as a player (I need to practice more) but I can at least pretend to sing along.

So... is there any chance that someone could perhaps give me a ride? Or let me know of other such gatherings in the San Jose area? Please?

Thank you,

L (the newbie)
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Nathan, also 11 will also be in tow. I know there is a video player available, don't know about DVD. He will probably bring his handheld game and we could also bring PS2 if Tony says OK to that (although it MIGHT disract some of the adults that are into that!!!! )
PS2 is fine as long as the vcr works when you're done and you don't burn down the living room. There's no dvd player. (Kid's can't eat in the living room. It gives my mom a lot of anxiety.)

Stephen, are you bringing your other kid, Switchfoot? :lol:
I can see myself in your icon. And, I can't believe you're selling that Copeland low F before the gathering. I was hoping to check it out.
L the newbie, Hope you can make it.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
IDAwHOa

Post by IDAwHOa »

TonyHiggins wrote:
Nathan, also 11 will also be in tow. I know there is a video player available, don't know about DVD. He will probably bring his handheld game and we could also bring PS2 if Tony says OK to that (although it MIGHT disract some of the adults that are into that!!!! )
PS2 is fine as long as the vcr works when you're done and you don't burn down the living room. There's no dvd player. (Kid's can't eat in the living room. It gives my mom a lot of anxiety.)

Stephen, are you bringing your other kid, Switchfoot? :lol:
I can see myself in your icon. And, I can't believe you're selling that Copeland low F before the gathering. I was hoping to check it out.
L the newbie, Hope you can make it.
Tony
Cool, thanks for the feedback Tony.

To answer for Stephen, Switchfoot has alread said he can't be there :( .

You like my new Avatar, eh? Just to explain, at last years Fall gathering I took a group picture. Right afterwords, Tony posted this REALLY spooking picture of himself with bugged out eyes (brrrrr). So I grabbed the eyes and put them on everyone in the picture. This year I learned how to animate avatars and THAT is the result! hehehehehe I wanted to do red eyes, but they blended it too much.

Oh, and I did not sell the Cope Low F. I actually traded for a Weasel Low A. Maybe that is more interesting to you? The Cope that is on eBay IS the one I had, it just belongs to someone else now.

Last time I had quite a few loaner and tour whistles with me. This time I thought I was going to be skunked. Getting the house ready to sell and now having it on the market really distracted me from sending out any invitations. Well, I WON'T be skunked. I got a surprise in the mail on Friday, something that was TOTALLY unexpected.

Should I say something now or just wait to reveal it at THE GATHERING? :twisted:

Of course I will have all of my new whistles gotten over the last 6 months.

mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Any Chance of Carpool?

Post by mvhplank »

ancatsidhe wrote:okay... I'm quite new to the board. This is my first post, in fact. My mother directed me to the board because I've been looking for likeminded persons with an appreciation of Irish and Traditional music. The long and short of it is, I'm in San Jose and I'd like to be able to join in at a gathering like this-- I'm not very good as a player (I need to practice more) but I can at least pretend to sing along.

So... is there any chance that someone could perhaps give me a ride? Or let me know of other such gatherings in the San Jose area? Please?

Thank you,

L (the newbie)
C'mon folks--surely SOMEONE can give my poor (in a literal sense) daughter a ride...

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
IDAwHOa

Post by IDAwHOa »

mvhplank wrote:
ancatsidhe wrote:okay... I'm quite new to the board. This is my first post, in fact. My mother directed me to the board because I've been looking for likeminded persons with an appreciation of Irish and Traditional music. The long and short of it is, I'm in San Jose and I'd like to be able to join in at a gathering like this-- I'm not very good as a player (I need to practice more) but I can at least pretend to sing along.

Thank you,

L (the newbie)

C'mon folks--surely SOMEONE can give my poor (in a literal sense) daughter a ride...

M
HEY! It is barely 9 am our here. Most of us are just barely waking up :o and getting the ol' work computers going. :D Still two weeks to go too!!!

DCrom

Post by DCrom »

mvhplank wrote:
ancatsidhe wrote:So... is there any chance that someone could perhaps give me a ride? Or let me know of other such gatherings in the San Jose area? Please?

Thank you,

L (the newbie)

M
I haven't been on the board much the last few days (travelling), or I would have already offered. Some of us had been kicking around the idea of carpooling, but I don't think we have it nailed down.

L, you're certainly welcome to ride up with me. Blackhawk, are you interested in carpooling?

Dana