Fun with train sounds

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Paul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Fun with train sounds

Post by Paul »

You've all heard those PA systems in car dealerships. They're pretty obnnoxious but they are necessary. Sometimes as the day winds down I have some fun with mine. I've not done this in ages and I might have even posted about it before but I don't remember. What I do is download train sound effects here: (or somewhere like it)

http://www.spikesys.com/Sounds/diesel.html

And then the fun begins. I crank up my speakers and turn on the pager. We're right next door to a very exclusive restaurant so When I play the sounds (The PA system is very loud) It really sounds like a train is passing through. Everybody waiting at the restaurant looks around to try and figure out where the train is. People walking down the street stop and look around too. I have a raging elephant trumpet sound that is pretty funny too.
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

:boggle:
I have seen some strange links posted on these pages but that one takes the biscuit!

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

dubhlinn wrote::boggle:
I have seen some strange links posted on these pages but that one takes the biscuit!

Slan,
D.
I guess you have to REALLY be into trains, eh? But I am sure that site does not even take the cake as far as wierd goes.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I love trains!! Travel to Toronto and Montreal all the time by train.

In Canada's centennial year, 1967, I travelled across Canada by train in the Canadian Armed Forces Military Tattoo, just like the circus. A different town or city every night or every other night. It was a blast.

Thanks for posting Paul. I think I would like to try your trick some night at the library, it would be a real toot!

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Dubhlinn wrote:I have seen some strange links posted on these pages but that one takes the biscuit!

Slan,
D.
Thanks, D! :D
MarkB wrote:I love trains!! Travel to Toronto and Montreal all the time by train.

In Canada's centennial year, 1967, I travelled across Canada by train in the Canadian Armed Forces Military Tattoo, just like the circus. A different town or city every night or every other night. It was a blast.
I do too. My wife used to take the train to and from home in China. A 36 hour+ trip back in the 70's & 80s. They were coal-burning steamers. She said if you sat up front you would get all sooty from the smoke. :boggle:
Thanks for posting Paul. I think I would like to try your trick some night at the library, it would be a real toot!

MarkB
:lol: That would be hilarious! I'd love to be there for that one.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Amazing: how does this not cheese off your boss?
Perhaps you are the boss, which would say something for self-employment.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

fearfaoin wrote:Amazing: how does this not cheese off your boss?

Maybe he's the chief engineer!

Slan,
D.

W.B.Yeats
Paul

Post by Paul »

fearfaoin wrote:Amazing: how does this not cheese off your boss?
I negotiated unlimited Chiff and Fipple access time into my contract. I had to get a letter from Dale and all. :D

Yeah, I'm da boss. :) If one of my employees did something like that I wouldn't get mad though. I'd probably have a good laugh at it. I try to keep things pretty fun around here when I can.

-Paul
Last edited by Paul on Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
chattiekathy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

Paul,

My hubby the train fanatic thought this was just hilarious! I hear those train sounds all the time, My basement is a miniature railroad station!

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I'm a train nut too. I grew up in a railroad town, and used to fall asleep listening to the freights blowing "crossing" as they negotiated out of the railyards and through the city.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
emmline

Post by emmline »

Hmmm, right next to a fancy restaurant. There was a 3 Stooges episode where the stooges were cooks in a restaurant. A cat ran through the dining room, seen by the patrons, and into the kitchen. Larry was really cranky about something, and was whacking at, and scolding, whatever he was chopping up on the cutting board, meanwhile he was inadvertantly stepping on the cat's tail, making it shriek. When food was brought out, patrons assumed they were being served cat.
This has nothing to do with train sounds.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I think the site is fun.:) Although it's kind of wasted here because we have coal trains going through on a regular basis.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Redwolf wrote:I'm a train nut too. I grew up in a railroad town, and used to fall asleep listening to the freights blowing "crossing" as they negotiated out of the railyards and through the city.

Redwolf

How could you sleep with such an unholy racket playing all night?
Joking aside,the link did remind me of all the great songs and tunes inspired by the sound of a train that crossover all genres of American music.People like Doc Watson,Sonny Terryand Brownie McGhee, Hank Williams spring to mind but there are many,many more not least the great fiddle showpiece The Orange Blossom Special - a tune which probably caused me more heartache and wrist pain than any other when I first began to play it.

Slan,
D.

W.B.Yeats
Joe_Atlanta

Post by Joe_Atlanta »

all the great songs and tunes inspired by the sound of a train that crossover all genres of American music
My zydeco band does a tune that we've kind of coverted to a train song. The main thing is the driving rhythm. My wife loved it so much she bought me a Duluth Trading Co. train whistle to use as an introduction.

Ten and one half inches of black walnut, 4 chambered, takes enough air to make a sousaphone player wilt. Great sound, though. As your air gives out, the lower notes cut off, leaving the higher notes to give an echo effect.

Paul, since you're in Atlanta, maybe I could loan it to you to play with at work. There's got to be some way you could hook it up to an air hose. :boggle:

train whistle.mp3

MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Oh boy! Nice pics! Do they come in a low D? Cuz if they do, I can use on the river while kayaking and freak out the lake freighters on a clear day, sounding like a fog horn :D :lol:

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.