What Is Your Favorite Wooden Whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tomcat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

i've owned a thin weaseal, busman, and David Boisvert. my favorite - the Boisvert. all excellent whistles. but the boisvert has the sweetness i was looking for. i have a d/c set and they are both wonderful.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

syn whistles wrote:
chas wrote:.

Syn (brown lancewood): all-wood. This is rather like the old-style Sweets. To reach the upper part of the second octave, you really have to blow; very unbalanced.
That doesn't sound good. Let me know if you'd like me to look at it or do a swap.
Cheers, Erle.
Thanks very much for your offer. My words are probably a little more harsh than I had intended. Fact of the matter is, if I played your whistle more than I have, I might very well have a different opinion. It just entered my collection about the same time as I started getting serious on the flute, and I haven't bonded with it.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
slowair

Post by slowair »

I'm having a pretty good time learning to enjoy a Lon Dubh that I got last week. Wasn't crazy about at first, but once you learn the little idiosyncrocies of the instrument, you start that phase where you really start to like it.

It's a keeper for now.
rodfish

Post by rodfish »

tomcat wrote:i've owned a thin weaseal, busman, and David Boisvert. my favorite - the Boisvert. all excellent whistles. but the boisvert has the sweetness i was looking for. i have a d/c set and they are both wonderful.
Can you explain in a bit greater detail what you mean by "sweetness?" I've looked at the Boisvert whistles and they look very nice but I haven't heard much about the tone. I lean towards whistles that are pure, (less chiff?). I'm a beginner here, but I like a pure clear tone. Is that what you mean by "sweet?" :-?

Rod
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

slowair wrote:I'm having a pretty good time learning to enjoy a Lon Dubh that I got last week. Wasn't crazy about at first, but once you learn the little idiosyncrocies of the instrument, you start that phase where you really start to like it.

It's a keeper for now.
:D Glad you like it. The one I got is a little more breathy than I anticipated, but it also a keeper for now!
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

rodfish wrote:
tomcat wrote:i've owned a thin weaseal, busman, and David Boisvert. my favorite - the Boisvert. all excellent whistles. but the boisvert has the sweetness i was looking for. i have a d/c set and they are both wonderful.
Can you explain in a bit greater detail what you mean by "sweetness?" I've looked at the Boisvert whistles and they look very nice but I haven't heard much about the tone. I lean towards whistles that are pure, (less chiff?). I'm a beginner here, but I like a pure clear tone. Is that what you mean by "sweet?" :-?

Rod
For us sweet is towards the pure side, but not neccesarily totally pure and a little breathiness is acceptable. The main aspect of pure for us is to NOT be shrill in the upper octive and to not get too loud either.

Our Weston, which is Sapele, is sweet but has a touch of breath to it. Our O'Ririordan is sweet and quite pure. I have not heard a Rose, but would like to as they are supposed to be quite pure sounding, I do not know about sweet.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus