What the Heck!!?? Mysterious low notes...............

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
andreaz54
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by andreaz54 »

I just got the sheet music for "Ashokan Farewell", which my husband is very much wanting to hear me play on the whistle.

But, it has all these notes that are lower than low D!!!! What is that all about and how do I play them on a D or C whistle?? They look like high A's and B's except thay are at the bottom of the staff.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?? How do I find out what they ARE even?? Do I need a low whistle to play this tune?

Hopelessly confused................
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

The usual approach would be to simply raise the low notes an octave.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Those notes going down are C (on one ledger line below the staff), then B that hangs beneath it, then A (on two ledger lines below the staff), and then G that hangs below that one.

One altenative is to play these notes, or that part of the tune, up an octave so they "fit" on the whistle. Another alternative is just not play them, or play chord tones.

This is one of the challenges of playing whistle or flute.

--James

P.S. Sorry, Peter, I didn't see your post.
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Another option is to get a Low A whistle and play its second major scale which just happens to be the D scale. Play it like you would the G scale on a D whistle. It is a fairly easy transposition.

Speaking of transposision. That is another option. Transpose the song to the key of G. I think that would get those notes out of the basement for you.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
dlovrien

Post by dlovrien »

There are many tunes where octave displacement of just the too-low notes works okay, but this isn't one of them. To do it musically you can play entire phrases up the octave:

AC DCBA F (in the printed octave)
ef gfed bd (played up an octave)

FWIW... I play Ashokan Farewell on an A whistle - transposed up a fourth so I'm fingering it in the key of G instead of D. That lets me get down to the low A in the melody. For the low G I just play harmony notes (GEF# instead of B,G,A,).
dlovrien

Post by dlovrien »

NorCalMusician wrote:Another option is to get a Low A whistle and play its second major scale which just happens to be the D scale. Play it like you would the G scale on a D whistle. It is a fairly easy transposition.

Speaking of transposision. That is another option. Transpose the song to the key of G. I think that would get those notes out of the basement for you.
Great minds :)

Here's a simple recording on my Chieftain A: Ashokan Farewell
Joe_Atlanta

Post by Joe_Atlanta »

dlovrien wrote:Here's a simple recording on my Chieftain A: Ashokan Farewell
Nicely done! The harmony notes blend well and that upper octave is sweet by any definition of the term. :thumbsup:
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

dlovrien,
Beautiful! I managed to sort of play along in harmony on my low D! With a little(ok, maybe a lot) I might be able to do it well!
Thanks for the inspiration, great playing!
Sorry Andrea, I play by ear. All the talk about transposing, rearranging, staffs, octaves and chord tones is like algebra to me. I can understand some, but don't like learning it, and is a little scary to boot!
~~~~
Barry
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

dlovrien wrote:Here's a simple recording on my Chieftain A: Ashokan Farewell
Absolutely beautiful!!! That's on a low A?
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
andreaz54

Post by andreaz54 »

I agree, the recordings are lovely! I won't be doing THAT anytime soon!

Thank you for all the good advice. I agree 100%. I had a feeling that you all were going to tell me the same thing. The problem is...I have NO idea how to transpose music. My knowledge of reading music is limited. I can read it. When you get into transposing into different keys I am totally lost.

So I am right back where I started..............does anyone perchance have the sheet music that is in a playable key? Or can any of you suggest where I might look??

Thanks! :)
pizak

Post by pizak »

I've transposed it to G here http://fremantle.org/ashokan_in_g.pdf

The only problem is now you'll have to work really hard to get the high notes instead :-)

Paul
pizak

Post by pizak »

Oh by the way.... if you learn to play it this way, you can play the same fingerings on an A whistle to get back to be in D (i.e. as it was originally written).

Paul
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

pizak wrote:Oh by the way.... if you learn to play it this way, you can play the same fingerings on an A whistle to get back to be in D (i.e. as it was originally written).

Paul
... as it was orginially written? If you play it in D on an A-whiste, then use the same fingerings on a D-whistle you've brought the tune up to G. Not that it particularly matters, or anything.
/Bloomfield
pizak

Post by pizak »

So... if you play it in G on a D whistle, and then play the same way on an A whistle, then you are playing it in D (which is how it was originally written).

Which is what you said. and what I said too!

Paul
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

dlovrien wrote: Here's a simple recording on my Chieftain A: Ashokan Farewell
dlovrien, that's gorgeous! Well done!!

Best,
Ad
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin