Any Keith Jarrett fans here?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
mvhplank
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

I only have one Keith Jarrett CD, and he gets second billing on it: Bach Sonatas, Michala Petri (r*c*rd*r) and Keith Jarrett (harpsichord). It looks like the copyright is 1992.

I bought it because I was interested in Petri, after hearing her do a truly amazing Bach piece on public radio's Sunday Baroque program. I've never heard octave jumps so fast and clean. I tracked down that CD, Air (with Lars Hannibal), and thence to this Bach CD. Jarrett? Hadn't heard of him before.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

mvhplank wrote: I bought it because I was interested in Petri, after hearing her do a truly amazing Bach piece on public radio's Sunday Baroque program. M
Ah yes, Petri is a real Dish!

:)

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Jarrett did a pretty good recording of the Goldberg Variations on harpshichord and a nice recording of Shostakovich's Preludes & Fugues.

Dale
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

bradhurley wrote:Ah yes, Petri is a real Dish! :)
<<cringes>> :P
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

scottielvr wrote:
And cultured too.

Slan,
D. :roll:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Assay, you guys beta stop these puns; pipe down, you're testing my patients..I've too much sensitivity to this type of thing and if you keep it up, I'll just dye.
shoner

Post by shoner »

I've been listening to Keith Jarret for neigh on to 30 years. He is an artist of the highest order. Nothing about the man is contrived. His work will live live on far beyond anything anyone of else is ever likely to do. To criticize a musician of his calibre is utterly ridiculous.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

shoner wrote:I've been listening to Keith Jarret for neigh on to 30 years. He is an artist of the highest order. Nothing about the man is contrived. His work will live live on far beyond anything anyone of else is ever likely to do. To criticize a musician of his calibre is utterly ridiculous.
What exactly are you saying? Nobody here has criticised Jarrett's musicianhsip as far as I can tell. Some people have said he is not to their taste and given reasons why.

Are you seriously telling us that not to share your taste is ridiculous?

By the way, I have no doubt that his work will live on and no doubt that it deserves to. I can hear something of what his fans like and I know that a lot of people will still like that in 30 or 100 years. I don't think that there is anything wrong with them. I can't quite figure out whose work you are saying his will outlast, but I'd be very careful making predictions like that. Even Shakespeare had periods when he was out of fashion and his works might conceivably have been lost in those periods. It's a bit hit or miss what we have of Aristotle and what we've lost.
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

DaleWisely wrote:I'm a fan, although you can't be a Jarrett fan without having a few albums he did that you despise. He has been all over the map.

My 3 favorites, though, cut across various styles;

The Koln Concert. I love the whole thing, but someone pointed out the encore (third track) which is amazing.

The Melody, the Night, Etc. This was moving because you know he is getting over this devastating illness and there's something both beautiful and naive about it. None of the famous Jarrett cockiness.

The newest one with Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette, "The Out of Towners," is wonderful and the encore on this one is Jarrett solo, playing "It's All In The Game." It's gorgeous.

Dale
Dale, I think you might like Brad Mehldau's latest, "Live in Tokyo" which is just solo piano. It's mainly him playing the old jazz ballads with 1 or 2 surprises. Some reviewers have criticised this album as being indulgent, but it doesn't strike me as that. Lots of beautiful lines in this, for me at least.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I'm too lazy to read the whole thread, so excuse me if this has been mentioned.
Among the many types of music that Keith has done, he's also a superb baroque accompanist. I have a recording of him playing with the recorder virtuoso Michala Petri which is terrific. This is not the same recording, but will give you an idea:

http://www.grainger.de/dbe/cds/reccds/petri17.html
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

You're excused! :D
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

shoner wrote:I've been listening to Keith Jarret for neigh on to 30 years. He is an artist of the highest order. Nothing about the man is contrived. His work will live live on far beyond anything anyone of else is ever likely to do. To criticize a musician of his calibre is utterly ridiculous.
Wow. I yield to no one, including you, in my admiration for Mr. Jarrett's work. I'm about 30 years in myself. But, I can't imagine why you would think him above critique. Being human, he's capable of a misstep here and there.

By the way, to criticize a critic of my calibre is utterly ridiculous.
Dekkard

wow thats a blast from the past

Post by Dekkard »

keith jarret.. long long heavy breathing and sigh infused improvisations.. havent listened to him in years.. the last was The Koln Concert.
what happened to my controlling terminal??
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

dubhlinn wrote:
scottielvr wrote:

Funny part is, she really IS a dish! A really beautiful woman and one of the most outstanding instrumentalists I've ever heard.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

brewerpaul wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:
scottielvr wrote: <<cringes>> :P

Funny part is, she really IS a dish! A really beautiful woman and one of the most outstanding instrumentalists I've ever heard.
Yep, yep. See http://www.michalapetri.com/

There's a nice (well, worshipful, really) review from the Washington Post of a recital in 1999. The emphasis is mine.
Petri´s Breathtaking Recital

A recorder is an end-blown flute with which it is pretty easy to play "Yankee Doodle" badly and almost impossible to play music of even moderate difficulty well. Midway into Michala Petri's recorder recital Sunday at the National Institutes of Health - a recital of pure, utmost perfection - it became clear that her mastery of this marvelous instrument is absolute, and that her musicianship is on the same literally breathtaking level. She was beautifully partnered by Lars Hannibal on archlute and guitar. Petri's Bach (Sonata in F Major) had the finish and character of fine wood. In recorder transcription, she tossed off two baroque violin sonatas by Corelli ("La Follia") and Tartini (the fearsome "Devil's Trill") with fiery virtuosity and insouciant ease of execution. Then came transcriptions of Grieg piano miniatures, which as Petri played them were by turn achingly evocative ("Cattle Call"), chirps and whistles from a mystical glade ("Elve´s Dance") and droll, rustic warbles ("Stumping Dance") Petri´s own variations on a Danish folk tune featured what she called "untraditional techniques" and included humming the melody while ornamenting it with crystalclear recorder passages (impossible), and bending notes in all directions while maintaining a delightful musical pulse. Her encore - something about a wet jay and a cuckoo - was hilarious.

Washington Post, Tuesday Feb. 9, 1999
JessieK take note, in case your little musician maintains her interest:
Born in Copenhagen on 7th July 1958, Ms Petri began playing the recorder at the age of three and was first heard on Danish Radio when she was five. Her debut as concerto soloist took place at the Tivoli Concert Hall in 1969, the year in which she began her studies with professor Ferdinand Conrad at the "Hochschule für Musik und Theater" in Hannover.
That's from a bio at http://www.michalapetri.com/misc/biogra ... graphy.doc--notice that the link opens a document, not a web page.

I gotta agree with Paul--just phenomenal. And, briefly back on topic, I think Jarrett was fortunate to be able to work with her.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg