Is anyone Addicted to Anime?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

No.
No addiction.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

My eldest daughter and my neighbor/friend (who is my age plus a couple) are both certifiable addicts.

I wouldn't even dare try to name their faves, LOL.

My neighbor even writes fanfics. Wierd to me, but then I've got plenty of notches on my side of *that* belt, LOL!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
mukade

Post by mukade »

I have translated several Anime to be sold outside Japan.

Do I like them? The answer is no, and I can't understand why anyone over 16 would either.

Apart from the Ghibli studio, there are very few anime that I would want to watch unless somebody was paying me to so.

Give up the anime and dig out some Ozu, Mizoguchi or Kurosawa movies.

Mukade
Cyfiawnder
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cyfiawnder »

Nuku-Nuku is now known as DASH! and is shown on the Anime network. About a year ago (maybe more) Cartoon network Had the Series Rurouni Kenshin (spelling). Which is sort of like an In-between series between the Short "Ova" series based on the Manga (very bloody) and the Samurai X series. It's a pretty good series but it's one where you would have to see them all to realy understand what is going on. Sort of like if you started watching Buffy the Vampire slayer half way through season 4... Saiyuki is a series I would suggest to anyone who likes Anime, but for heavens sake watch them in Japanese! I would rather read sub titles, than Listen to some of the "voice actors" that are used in the English translated versions. The best Subtitled Anime are Fan subs usuly done by Americans that also speak Japanese, or Native Japanese speakers who have spent a lot of time in the states. Some of the Inuyasha DVD's I have are hard to understand with subtitles... Sort of like when you buy a Japanese made product that needs assembling, and the English Directions are translated from Japanese: stuff like "Pleased to be putting Small wooden stick in metal hole as to slowly not cause much preasure that the support arm brekas from main body...If parts not all here take to vender moneys returned mail by" Spelling errors intentional. I'm not trying to be insulting or Racist at all, I'll tell ya those instructions are a lot better than I would be able to Provide in Japanese. Samurai Shamploo is also a pretty good series as is Escaflowne pron. Ehs-kah-flow-nay (aka The Vision of Escaflowne) and Naruto pron. Nahr-toe. Although for both of those series You have to at least watch the 1st 3 episodes. I have seen quite a few good Anime movies that absolutley blew my mind at the Quality of the Artwork. Japanese animation is like watching a whole musuem of pen and ink artwork fly by at 60 FRAMES per second. I agree going from anime back to regular Walt Disney or Warner Brothers is like walking out of College "Art School" show, and Going to an Art show from the Local Elementary school.

I wonder if I could get a GOvernment grant to see how long it takes someone to learn Japanese from reading Subtitles from Anime... If some dude in South america can study fruit flys and get a nice huge check every month... why cant I for studying something that might be useful.

Oh btw... Buy whistles??? What? I haven't bought a WHistle in I don't know how long... If I want a new one I go make one... I'm still messing with the Carbon fiber one a Built a few months back... I'm also working on a bamboo Low D flute too. If I could only get the finish right... I have sanded it so many times it's actually starting to go out of tune... in fact I'm off to do that now... Maybe I'll whipe it down with linseed oil and call it done... now where did i put those cotton rags... Just kiddin ;)
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Not all anime is created equal, Mukade. You're watching the wrong stuff, trust me.

If you want something less kiddie-ish, try Haibane Renmei. Cowboy Bebop is really good too.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

My daughter (and her 3 or 4 whistles) is living with some friends in San Jose, CA, and they all seem to be anime fans--and go to conventions and whatnot. She said she was developing some fan artwork to take to a convention, but I haven't heard how that went or if it's still in the future.

The Ghost in the Shell sounds familiar, but I couldn't say what else she might have seen. I suspect "almost everything" is the answer.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
whistlerroberto

Yes, love anime

Post by whistlerroberto »

Yup, I'm a lover of anime, as is my brother. We both like the same series, and dislike others for the same reaasons. We don't like when there is too much angst and overly done sexual tension, especially for a youger male, as there is in "Please, Teacher." It can be a little overdone in Tenchi Muyo, too. We both really like Tenchi Muyo, most of Saber Marionette (who couldn't like Lime; I wish there were more people that free-spirited in real life)! We also like Paper Sister and Ghost in the Shell. It was nice to have Escaflowne on YTV here in Canada.

Rob
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Wow! Who knew there were so many Flying House and Superbook fans?
Reasonable person
Walden
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

Anyone see "Read or Die" yet? It's going to be on Cartoon network soon... looks interesting... from the 30 second promo.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

mvhplank wrote:My daughter (and her 3 or 4 whistles) is living with some friends in San Jose, CA
OT, but does she know about the November 6th Chiff Gathering up at Tony's Mom's--and the possibility of another later at DCrom's right there in San Jose? (Or, isn't she a geek?)

(It's okay, Amar probably won't be there.) :D
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Feadan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Feadan »

mukade wrote: Apart from the Ghibli studio, there are very few anime that I would want to watch unless somebody was paying me to so.

Give up the anime and dig out some Ozu, Mizoguchi or Kurosawa movies.
My 2 cents:

Hayao Miyazaki (Ghibli Studio) has produced the only anime I have seen that has actual substance to it. He is brilliant. Can't wait for Nausicaa to be released on DVD next February. My kids love "My Neighbor Totoro", "Kiki's Delivery Service", and "Spirited Away" (Academy Award for Best Animated Feature Film, 2002). I felt my daughter was old enough this year to finally let her watch "Princess Mononoke".

Many of the "classic" or otherwise popular anime offerings don't really float my boat (e.g. "Akira", "Bubblegum Crisis"). A lot of what I have seen strikes me as adolescent level T & A and/or gratuitous violence rubbish.

Re: Kurosawa, "Seven Samurai" is one of my favorite films.

Cheers,
David
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Cyfiawnder wrote:Nuku-Nuku is now known as DASH! and is shown on the Anime network. About a year ago (maybe more) Cartoon network Had the Series Rurouni Kenshin (spelling). Which is sort of like an In-between series between the Short "Ova" series based on the Manga (very bloody) and the Samurai X series. It's a pretty good series but it's one where you would have to see them all to realy understand what is going on. Sort of like if you started watching Buffy the Vampire slayer half way through season 4... Saiyuki is a series I would suggest to anyone who likes Anime, but for heavens sake watch them in Japanese! I would rather read sub titles, than Listen to some of the "voice actors" that are used in the English translated versions. The best Subtitled Anime are Fan subs usuly done by Americans that also speak Japanese, or Native Japanese speakers who have spent a lot of time in the states. Some of the Inuyasha DVD's I have are hard to understand with subtitles... Sort of like when you buy a Japanese made product that needs assembling, and the English Directions are translated from Japanese: stuff like "Pleased to be putting Small wooden stick in metal hole as to slowly not cause much preasure that the support arm brekas from main body...If parts not all here take to vender moneys returned mail by" Spelling errors intentional. I'm not trying to be insulting or Racist at all, I'll tell ya those instructions are a lot better than I would be able to Provide in Japanese. Samurai Shamploo is also a pretty good series as is Escaflowne pron. Ehs-kah-flow-nay (aka The Vision of Escaflowne) and Naruto pron. Nahr-toe. Although for both of those series You have to at least watch the 1st 3 episodes. I have seen quite a few good Anime movies that absolutley blew my mind at the Quality of the Artwork. Japanese animation is like watching a whole musuem of pen and ink artwork fly by at 60 FRAMES per second. I agree going from anime back to regular Walt Disney or Warner Brothers is like walking out of College "Art School" show, and Going to an Art show from the Local Elementary school.
Big block sof texta r ehard on thee yes, Cyf. Maybebr eakthi ngsu pabit anoth ertim e, tosp are ourp oorb rainsI? ver ynear lymana gedto getth rough tha tbu tno tquite.
glauber

Post by glauber »

I think it's surprising how addictive Anime can be. I watched Speed Racer every day as a kid, and recently saw the first 2 seasons again as they were released on DVD. It's still cool. And the thing is, it's cool despite how bad it really is... c'mon, Speed looks like a girl. The original series names is Mach a Go-Go :o for Pete sake. And can you imagine any real car race where it's ok to push your oponents off the track (where they invariably blow up with huge fireball explosions)? But heck, it's still cool.

I've caught myself obsessing with truly stupid Anime plots, like Blue Gender (big bugs versus big robots) and Big-O (one big robot and one cute young robot who wears a maid's uniform). And Cowboy Bebop (what the hell?). No Inuiasha for me, thank you very much (though the ending song is a little addictive.

Anime sucessfully maintains the comic book look, and some of them do very well integrating that with film noir techniques and surprisingly good music. Often the subplots are more interesting than the main plot (Blue Gender, Speed Racer (Racer X), Big-O). Big-O was full of Christian symbolism that was iintegral to whatever lose plot there was. I think it's these unexpected "extras" that give Anime its charm. It's a fascinating form of mass-produced art in the cheap. Like comic books.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Darwin wrote:
mvhplank wrote:My daughter (and her 3 or 4 whistles) is living with some friends in San Jose, CA
OT, but does she know about the November 6th Chiff Gathering up at Tony's Mom's--and the possibility of another later at DCrom's right there in San Jose? (Or, isn't she a geek?)

(It's okay, Amar probably won't be there.) :D
I should tell her about that! Geek-wise, I think she hangs around in blogs and anime sites. Her friends' house is entirely networked.

I'd worry more about Amar, since my kidlet has her 1st dan in tae kwon do and her part-time job is teaching self-defense with some sort of kid-safe organization. ;)

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

Yeh mean you would worry more FOR Amar...
Yes Karate is good but nothing can defeat the slick art that He practices "Mea Amar Igropayu." I took tae Kwan do for a while... In two different schools. They were basically the same, I spent more time practicing forms "kata" than actually learning defense techniques. While I took Ninjitsu Sometimes I would come home feeling like a train wreck rolled over me after practicing "Jutsu", and other times I would come home So calm I would fall asleep. Usually after spending hours meditating, and learning how to "feel" without my eyes. Stuff like walking across balance beams forward and backward while blindfolded. Or walking an "obstacle course" while blindfolded. I always enjoyed sneaking up on people in a "quiet" room.

I especially enjoyed watching my Sensei "cure" colds using a technique in with testing ones health by having someone else place one hand on the sick person’s shoulder, and hold the other hand in the air. The sensei would then pull down on the healthy person's arm. Most of the time it dropped freely. Just to show the difference he would have the healthy person remove their hand from the sick person’s shoulder and again try to resist the force he was applying to the healthy individual’s outstretched arm. I saw people who couldn’t hold their hand up before, pivot on one foot because the sensei was putting so much force on their arm, but not pushing it down to their side. Then the sensei did something with pressure points on the Sick person's back... Usually by the end of class they were breathing through their nose, and not coughing, or Sneezing... it was quite intriguing. It’s hard to explain, to fully understand you would have to see it.