Super easy question that surely will cause no debate

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Eliot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Super easy question that surely will cause no debate

Post by Eliot »

A friend here in Santa Barbara is a decent enough whistle player, but even though he has played for 30 years (or more!), he has never owned a whistle that is *in tune* between registers. Of course, I don't think he ever paid more than $10 for a whistle. His skill and his whistle collection are at odds with each other.

OK, his birthday is coming up ...

What D whistle is *most in tune* for under $200 ? I don't care about tone, I just want my friend to be able to play in tune with us.

TIA,

Eliot
Estragon: Nothing to be done.
Vladimir: I'm beginning to come round to that opinion.

http://www.jacobsongaming.com
Cayden

Re: Super easy question that surely will cause no debate

Post by Cayden »

Eliot wrote:I don't care about tone, I just want my friend to be able to play in tune with us.

TIA,

Eliot
Buy him a Susato.
Last edited by Cayden on Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

I'm a novice so my expertise is limited but check out the very recent thread on Silkstones. In tune seems to be the comment often mentioned about them. -You'll want to get a tunable whistle no matter what make though if I'm not mistaken. That way you can tune it to match other whistles, instruments etc. ---uh, you don't care about tone? -mike
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Sausato
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

There's a Copeland, Overton, and Burke right now on Ebay all for under $200 and all fit the bill for what you're looking for.
"You have my undivided attention"
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

In your price range there's a lot of great whistles to be had. Burke, Hoover, Water Weasel, Sindt and of the good tweaked models, etc. Do you know what it is he's playing now and how old it is? Sometimes a whistle's mouthpiece (if it's the all plastic variety) will change in time due to teeth, windway collections of various sorts, and the occasional 'tweek' by it's owner.

I've heard some amazingly good and perfectly in tune Generations, Feadógs and even Waltons - although they can be rare.
OnTheMoor

Post by OnTheMoor »

I wish my friends bought me $200 whistles for my birthday. :(
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Oops I thought it was $20, which Sausato is close to.

I'd add Burke.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

If he never paid more than 10 bucks for a whistle in his life after playing for 30 years, he would probably not fall head over heels about anything that doesn't have a similar mouthpiece to a Gen or Oak.

Just a thought.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Freeman Tweaked Generation in metal tube plastic mouthpiece.

Syn Lancewood for wooden.

You also did not mention what KEY he plays in most of the time. THAT is an important consideration.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

NorCalMusician wrote: You also did not mention what KEY he plays in most of the time. THAT is an important consideration.
Apparently Db.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

As someone said, it seems to me he's used to cheapies, so I would say the best whistle for him would be a tweaked O'Briain whistle, which is like 30EURO. It's perfectly tuned and plays like a charm, it's my favorite whistle anyway.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Martin Milner wrote:
NorCalMusician wrote: You also did not mention what KEY he plays in most of the time. THAT is an important consideration.
Apparently Db.
Yes, apparently that is true! :oops:

(helps if one rereads the post before sticking ones foot in ones mouth! Thanks for being gentle, Martin.)
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

No debate, eh...hmmm

Probably couldn't go wrong with a Burke Black Tip, $130 plus $10 shipping, and probably readily available. For me, it's the perfect whistle, not "too" anything or "not enough" anything.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Jack

Post by Jack »

You can't go wrong with a Hoover or an Elfsong. Elfsongs are gorgeous not only in playability, but also in appearance.
OnTheMoor wrote:I wish my friends bought me $200 whistles for my birthday. :(
Me, too. :P