please don't flog me....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
michael_coleman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

please don't flog me....

Post by michael_coleman »

or do.....

I picked up the only sweetone I have left the other day and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Its amazing that a $2 whistle is conical bore (whats the deal, you can get one for $2 or one for about $250-300 (Copeland)) and mine have been relatively in tune.

So, lets here it for a cheap whistle that really isn't all that bad....
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: please don't flog me....

Post by izzarina »

michael_coleman wrote:or do.....

I picked up the only sweetone I have left the other day and I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Its amazing that a $2 whistle is conical bore (whats the deal, you can get one for $2 or one for about $250-300 (Copeland)) and mine have been relatively in tune.

So, lets here it for a cheap whistle that really isn't all that bad....
no flogging from me! :) I actually like to practice on my Sweetone. And I agree you can't beat the price....it's a great little whistle for the price
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

Sometimes when I play the Sweetone I feel like it's a toy, other times I really like it's mellow tone. I don't really know why, perhaps it's just the mood I'm in at that particular moment. It also seems like I paid about six times more for mine than what you did for yours.

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
glauber

Post by glauber »

I like the Sweetone D. On the other hand, never liked the C.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

glauber wrote:I like the Sweetone D. On the other hand, never liked the C.
Ditto. I haven't found a C I like.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I agree, too. Love the d, hate the (tuning of the) c.
~JessieD
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

JessieK wrote:I agree, too. Love the d, hate the (tuning of the) c.
This is good to know...I only have a D. I didn't realize that there would be such a difference with the C.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye »

Gotta silver D - really liked it - haven't tried any other keys.
Let one of my daughters take it with her to college - WHY? Missing it already....

The one I'm really enjoying playing round the house at the moment, though, is my narrow bore Hoover D. He made it into a pocket whistle for me, it splits in half, and it's just ACE! Great for late night/early morning playing without disturbing anyone. Great for learning tunes too, 'cause you can hear what you're playing along with.

Ooops. Sorry that was a bit OT. :roll:
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
TXwhistle
Tell us something.: I moved, so I'm in a different city. Not in Texas anymore!!! Although if someone sees that I'm in NYC, maybe they'll know of local places that I can look for whistles.

Post by TXwhistle »

I don't like my Sweetone C either, so I never play it. I'll have to try the D. On the other hand, I love my $2 Meg D. It rocks!
Joe_Atlanta

Post by Joe_Atlanta »

izzarina wrote:This is good to know...I only have a D. I didn't realize that there would be such a difference with the C.
Well, I've got a C (unpainted) and the tuning seems fine on mine. The second octave gets a bit of a harder sound than the first, but not nearly as bad as my Susato VSB D. And I find the bottom hole more of a stretch than a couple of other Cs I've tried. Anyway, it's currently my favorite among my meager collection. Take my opinion with a grain of salt, although I've been a musician for 30 years, I've only been a whistler for a month.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

There are two versions of the C Sweetones, both of which have issues.

The older ones are out of tune with themselves, but the finger spacing is comfortable. The newer ones have the intonation problem fixed, but the spacing between the bottom two holes is awkwardly far. I find I have to use a piper's grip on the bottom hand.

Best wishes,
Jerry
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Hmm, that's interesting, Jerry.

The tuning problem for me on the c is not the D scale, but the G scale. There is no cross-fingering that produces an in-tune C natural.
~JessieD
Joe_Atlanta

Post by Joe_Atlanta »

Jerry Freeman wrote:The newer ones have the intonation problem fixed, but the spacing between the bottom two holes is awkwardly far. I find I have to use a piper's grip on the bottom hand.
Thanks for the info, Jerry. My experience with the intonation of the whistle was so different than the majority, I had hesitated to comment.

I had also been wondering about that bottom hole (geez, if you can't even get the stretch on a C, give up on Bb or G). So far I've just been rolling my hand around the whistle a little bit more so that my first two fingers are hitting on the bottom of the first pad. This makes it easier to stretch out my ring finger. I've also been using a doubled rubber band as a cheat to help that finger find the hole.
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

I have a newer C and my crossfinger seems fairly reasonable (oxx ooo, sometimes I have to add an extra hole to flatten it a bit oxx xoo). They aren't so bad once you realize (as Jerry has mentioned before) you can adjust the mouthpiece, just don't twist or you will strip the inside...
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I had (had) one of the older ones. The tuning was sucky. it felt like the d's were flat. I took a bit off the end of the whistle and at least it was toleralbe afterwards. Still didn't like the sound though. Muddy.
My first sweetone was really great, but honestly the Meg I bought later plays better.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.