what other instruments do you all play?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DrRichard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by DrRichard »

Nice thread! Lots of sax players here, by the look of it; well, I'll add one to that number. Primary instrument is Sax (Soprano, Alto, Tenor), followed by Flute and Clarinet. However, a couple of years ago I injured my throat, which means I can't blow anything which provides a large back pressure. So, I switched to EWI (Electric Wind Instrument) and Whistle. I still keep praying that one day I'll wake up and be able to play sax again, but right now that's in God's hands not mine :smile:

OT: Has anyone else here experienced a problem like that? Post me off-list if so.

Richard
JimmyM

Post by JimmyM »

Octave Mandola. Its called Nelson, of course.
Byll
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

... Have played classical/jazz/ piano for 50 years - French horn for 40... Discovered hammer dulcimer at a craft fair in 1989. ...Have played it ever since. It is now my main instrument. I design 'em, teach 'em, sell 'em, play 'em, but don't have the woodworking skills to build 'em... My band needed whistles. I began with a D a few years ago. I have much to learn...Thanks for the help I have gleaned from all of you.
Cheers to all.
Byll
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

Here we go.

I started taking organ lessons when I was in first grade. Then in 5th grade I joined the school band playing clarinet. By the time I was in 8th grade I quit the organ lessons.

The band and clarinet lasted up to 9th grade. I was not really good at it and ended up being a flag carrier.

My parents sold my clarinet and bought me a guitar when I was in 10th grade which lasted perhaps a year.

I was not a very focused youth.

It was not until my adult years that I started to get serious on music. In '91
I sold my cheapy guitar for a mountain dulcimer. There my collection grew. In the course of time ended up with four dulcimers. Took up babysitting in '93 and with that money purchased my martin guitar.

Gave one MD to a close friend, traded the other one in for a bodhran. Down to two now.

I dabbled with whistle since '92 but never took it seriously until these last 3 years.

So my three main instruments I play is guitar, mountain dulcimer and whistle.

My father builds folk instruments... so included in that list that I play off and on yet have not had time to master is a hammer dulcimer, hognose psaltery and bow psaltery ( the closest I can get to a fiddle I guess).

There are times that I wished I was more focused as a youth and I really wish that I had taken the organ lessons more seriously.
Yet, I cannot call all those years waisted time. The theory comes in handy and it's nice being able to read music. And if I really wanted to, I can play the organ again. It just does not speak to my soul like the folk instruments do.

Oh, I forgot one more instrument I have is a portable suzuki keyboard with all the (bells and whistles) so to write.

The sad thing is I woke up this morning thinking it would be nice trying to learn harmonica. Once I get done here I am going on a search.

Laura
Blessed be the one who retains a childlike heart, for they shall stay young forever.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I started out on clarinet for five years in grade school. I took up the mountain dulcimer, which I've played for 25 years; I sing with it too. My wife (longtime flute player) and I took up the harp six years ago, but neither of us has made much progress. I've been whistling for about three years.

We've always tinkered quite a bit with instruments. Even other than whistles, I think we've got enough instruments for a classical orchestra. Nine flutes and piccolos, four recorders, four dulcimers, three harps, two bodhrans, two keyboards, four guitars, a mandolin, a cello, a clarinet, probably some that I can't remember.

Jack of all trades, master of none.

Charlie
Blarney Pilgrim

Post by Blarney Pilgrim »

Played (bad) guitar for a few years. I always found it a struggle. The whistle turned me on to music again. Now I play bodhran and am slowly learning the Irish flute. <br><br>Steve
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Guitar and mandolin, along with whistle and a little flute. Whilst stranded without an instrument of any kind during a small blizzard in Boone, NC,last year, I eased my cabin fever with the purchase of a $1.00 recorder at a Dollar Store. It was then I realized that whistles (and to a lesser extent, recorders) are the perfect low maintenance, highly portable instrument. I swore I'd never leave home again without a whistle, and I haven't.
cj

Post by cj »

Took piano from age 8-10, til we couldn't afford it anymore. Played flute in high school band, also played as an adult at church, for weddings, and play now in the rock jam group I'm in. In the last year, I've taken up guitar (fingerstyle mostly), gotten into mandolin (not great at that but enjoy it), and gotten a keyboard to rediscover piano. Been whistling a couple of years. Probably will get into Irish flute at some point. I also play recorder a little. Took voice lessons (have a high soprano thing going) for a year. I am a dilettante and will probably never master any one instrument, but I get bored easily and need variety and I'm having a good time with it!
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

Well I started with the flutaphone in 3rd grade. I was one of those that the teacher discouraged from pursuing music further (THANKS ALOT %^&$@#). I tried the chorus in 5 the grade (all Beatles music that year after John died). The 6th grade chorus director demanded all members sign contracts that outlined the extensive punative sanctions taken agains you if you missed practice (miss any two rehersals during the year and you are expelled from the program, even for illness or death in the family). It was more responsibility than I was willing to deal with so I quit trying to make music.

More than 6 years later, I took a piano class my last half year of high school and had a lot of fun. I took 3 music theory classes in college, then stopped all music making for another 8 years.

I was talking with a friend about playing the bagpipe. I wanted to take it up, but found the prices too steep. I was told about the whistle classes Bob Pegritz was teaching at O'Friels Irish Pub. Bob gave me an Oak D with the class. Since that 1998 event, I have continued with the whistle. I have also picked up some tenor banjo, bones, bodhran, bamboo flute, clarinet, anglo concertina, and I will be working on a alto sax when I can get it serviced. A man at the session last night was playing a set of english high pipes in G. He gave me a soprano recorder in F and said just play it like a whistle and ignore the bottom hole. It was interesting, but I currently have the strenght not to add another instrument, as well as the support of an empty bank account. No recorders for me. Not even the real big ones with the bocal sticking out the tops.

Thats my sad tale. . .

TO BE CONTUNUED?
Muah-HA-HA-HA-HA
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Here we go... let's see, I started playing clarinet at the ripe old age of 8, so that was (OMIGOODNESS) 22 years ago. GOOD GRIEF! Where did that time go? That just sounds so...long ago!! Played all the way through high school, into college. Won some regional competitions and went to State... I also played bass clarinet, could pick out some tunes on a flute, and briefly played bass guitar in junior high (okay, I admit, it was during my major infatuation with John Taylor of Duran Duran) Image What can I say, I'm an eighties girl at heart. ::grin::
I consider my voice my instrument too, and have been using that since I was a wee lass. :razz: Now I love my whistle and, even though I may have rotting produce thrown at me here, I'm learning to play the bodhran too. Oh, and I have a harp that's waiting to be restored so that I can give that a go as well... No, I don't have much going on. LOL

What a neat thread,
Andrea ~*~

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: aderyn_cyrdd on 2002-03-21 04:14 ]</font>
Arto_Vallivirta

Post by Arto_Vallivirta »

Mandolin, bodhran, Irish flute, uillean pipes and séan nós singing. And it all started from a little Generation whistle.

/Arto
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

<b>The Long Answer</b>
Started singing about the time I started talking, it was just what we did around our home with the encouragement of my mom.
At age 8/9 I took a year of piano, which gave me a start on music theory. Played the piano's (Yamaha baby grand and Steinway) and Organs (Lowery then Wurlitzer) that were around the house as I grew up.

My voice developed through individual singing, choirs, and choruses from about 4th through 8th grade. 9th grade was a disaster as my voice changed from first soprano to tenor. In junior high and high school I started singing more and more folk music so took up guitar (Epiphone 6 string) to accompany myself. Joined folk music clubs, church folk mass choir, through high school as my voice settled into a nice tenor. Graduating from High school got my Goya 12 string guitar which was my heart instrument through college and is still my goto when I play sessions. I have a couple of 6 strings, a 12 string, and a folk 5 string banjo. The 12 gets regular play and on of the 6 strings.

During my college years (70's) I played and sang folk mostly at local coffee houses or with friends just sitting around. Later did the same in the various church and fellowship groups. So my teens and 20's were pretty much filled with voice and guitar, a little banjo and piano on the side.

My 30's were a disaster; I moved to Baltimore and the vocal cords crusted over within a month. I think it was something in the air I was allergic to, about 4 years ago finally moved west of Baltimore closer to DC and the voice has started to recover; however 15 years of little use leaves me with a long way to recover. During my 30's and early 40's I was in and out of folk music, mostly playing Old time, blue grass and contra dance rhythm guitar.

About 6-7 years ago, I had one of those life changing events. As a result I decided 'work-a-holic' was not going to be my epitath and started taking steps to enjoy life more. I started playing Irish sessions weekly and moved closer to work cuting 25 hours travel down to 10. I decided as the nest emptied I'd fill it with music and vegetable gardening. 2 years ago started with Irish whistle, a year ago irish flute, and also have a couple of bodhrans to help me with irish rhythms.

I'm 48 and plan for my 50's to be filled with music, whistle (high and low), flute, voice, guitar and bodhran, maybe a piano. Now I have 4-8 hours a week available to play, by 2004 I plan to have 20-40 hours per week to play.

<b>Short Answer</b>
Voice, Whistles (high and low), Irish flute, Guitar (6 & 12 acoustic), Bodhran, Piano, Banjo.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

no energy for the long answer. . .
piano as a child
guitar as young adult
recorder (since dropped because my fingers get confused) sopranino, soprano, alto, tenor
whistles (about 2 years now)
hammered dulcimer (I consider my primary instrument)
ocarinas, harmonicas, moutain dulcimer, cross blown folky flutey things
stereo
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Vinny

Post by Vinny »

Played (and really liked) the Melody Flute (side-blown fipple flute) in 4th grade, still have one! Sousaphone, tuba and string bass in jr and high school. Bass guitar since a teen (Hofner Beatle Bass), fretless bass, kalimba (Mbira), guitar (long ago). And the only way to describe my voice as an instrument is of mass destruction.

Vinny
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

Piano (grades2-3), but dropped. Still plunk around.

Violin/fiddle, bodhran, frame drums, hand percussion (cabasa, shakers, claves, tamborine, triangle, etc.), guitar, recorder.

Hope to branch out to mandolin, bagpipes and uilliean pipes.
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.