My Lexicon: Part the Second

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

OutOfBreath wrote: (Not arguing, just informing :) )
I'd already read The Trail of Blood (here's the online edition-- I don't endorse it: http://members.aol.com/libcfl/trail.htm ).
Nanohedron wrote:OK, Walden, OutOfBreath: take it to the political/sometimes religious thr...oh, I give up.
My intention was and is to drop it.
Reasonable person
Walden
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

kga26 wrote:Havin' a fag : Contrary to popular transatlantic belief this is nothing to do with George Micheals habits in central park, it means smoking a cigarette!
And here "fagged out" actually means fatigued/overly tired.
Reasonable person
Walden
Darwin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Darwin »

OutOfBreath wrote:
kga26 wrote:P.S. We have major sniggering problems with 'fanny pack', I am not prepared to reveal the reasons for that right now, but suffice it to say, transatlantic cousins, when you come here it is a 'bum bag'.!
Isn't "fanny" slang for the, er, opposite side of a female's body from the bum? That's what I heard, anyhow. :)
We no longer say "bum". It's "homeless person". (And which side of a female's body is a homeless person on, anyhow?)
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Jack

Post by Jack »

Not all homeless people are bums, and not all bums are homeless.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

OutOfBreath wrote:Isn't "fanny" slang for the, er, opposite side of a female's body from the bum? That's what I heard, anyhow. :)
Yes, the front botty.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

GaryKelly wrote:
OutOfBreath wrote:Isn't "fanny" slang for the, er, opposite side of a female's body from the bum? That's what I heard, anyhow. :)
Yes, the front botty.
only the freshest..
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I thought Fanny was the author of children's stories. Fanny Hill?

Or I thought fanny = posterior, bum, arse, rear end, tail, etc etc
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

geek4music wrote:I thought Fanny was the author of children's stories. Fanny Hill?
The blind Fanny J. Crosby holds the world record for most prolific hymnist (according to a children's edition of the Guinness Book). She had written thousands, by the time of her death. In her case, Fanny was a nickname for Frances.
Reasonable person
Walden
kga26

Post by kga26 »

Isn't "fanny" slang for the, er, opposite side of a female's body from the bum? That's what I heard, anyhow.
Spot on John (can you see why the sniggering ensues?)
Shall I compare thee to a summers day?
No, thou art more lovely and more temperate.
Cheers Will, mines a pint !
kga26

Post by kga26 »

Also, a homeless person with a scabby dog on the end of a piece of string, often selling 'the big issue' (transatlantic cousins- don't even ask!) I have heard reffered to in the West Country as a 'Pickey'. Pronounced Piekey.

I don't think this is very polite though, probably not very P.C. I prefer 'person of no fixed abode', which is what I will be if I don't get off this site and finish my prep for the meeting I have tommorow! :lol:

'Bum' is nowadays an acceptable term for one's backside, but I remember years ago my father having a fit if my sister and I refferred to it as that, and had we had to say 'bottom'. My father also insisted that we refferred to the Pub as 'the pint shop' , but I think that this was more to protect himself from those essays you used to have to write at school about 'what we did at the weekend'. I think it made it look a lot better to say we spent the weekend at the 'pint shop' rather than the pub!!!!! He tried so damn hard to be middle class, ha ha, bless him. :wink:
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

kga26 wrote:....those essays you used to have to write at school about 'what we did at the weekend'.
In my childhood (when dinosaurs roamed the earth) that sort of academic torment consisted of a required essay at the beginning of the school year on "What I did during summer vacation." I dreaded the beginning of school (otherwise, I loved school...what a geek) because of this feared assignment; my family never did anything during the summer even remotely interesting. I quickly realized the solution was simple, and started to make stuff up. That became fun. If I were any shakes at all as a writer (which I'm emphatically not), I'd pinpoint the origins there; as it stands, it's just the beginning of an unattractive tendency to confabulate. :D
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

geek4music wrote:I thought Fanny was the author of children's stories. Fanny Hill?
The children where you live must be pretty "advanced" (if that's the right word). :-? http://eserver.org/fiction/fanny-hill/01.html

Then there was Fanny Brice, who was the subject of Funny Girl. I used to hear her playing "Baby Snooks" on the radio. http://search.eb.com/women/articles/Brice_Fanny.html
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

...and then there was Fanny Adams:
http://www.hants.gov.uk/museum/curtis/fannyadams/
...which dreadful story is strangly intertwined with the expression "sweet F.A.", which one of our UK brethren may feel free to explain, for I shan't. :D
kga26

Post by kga26 »

O.K., I'll go for it. Sweet Fanny Adams in U.K. parlance means sweet F*** A"". i.e. nothing. Where the **** is toasty when you need him/her?
emmline

Post by emmline »

kga26 wrote:Also, a homeless person with a scabby dog on the end of a piece of string, often selling 'the big issue' (transatlantic cousins- don't even ask!)
Yes, several copies of "The Big Issue" were waved at me last time I was on your side of the water.

Over here though, the fanny is the spankable side.

And the Baltimore area (aka "Balmer, Merlin") has a dialect all its own, with trademark phrases such as: Q. Where ya' goin' this weekend?
A. Downey Aishun. (down to the ocean.)