what other instruments do you all play?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Seth
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Seth »

I started, as with most musicians, on the piano. Went over to sax and have now been playing that for nine years. I have also picked up clarinet, and flute along the way. In regards to folk music, along with whistles I play bones and bodhran (please forgive me),

Seth
Isilwen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Isilwen »

I'm warning you now; YOU ASKED.

I started on the Piano (I was 5, and was being baby-sat by Grandma...), then, later I played the Alto sax in band for 3 years, then when I got bored with the Sax(I also play Tenor and Barry), I re-took up piano again for 2 years. Soon, I had to quit because I had pain when I played... something about a keyboard instrument does that to me... So, I took up the Guitar(classical-style) for a while, and when I got bored with that, I tried Violin for like 2 weeks(at that point, I had no pitch, so I quit- to save my ears and my Mom's), and then(TA DA!!!) I picked up the whistle after suffering an Irish-Dance-related injury(that was a year ago).

Then, I picked up the Violin again in the summer(much better, b/c I now have very good pitch), and because I couldn't stand playing by myself any longer, I re-joined band this year, continuing on whistle, and now I'm playing Guitar again as well(I'm on a hiatus from Violin- just got a little bored, and figured, "take a break now, so you don't get so bored it's impossible to get back into it again"). I alo play Fife, but not often.

That's pretty much the whole story...

Just remember, YOU ASKED! :grin:
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
jackorion

Post by jackorion »

Guitar, Bass (play in a funky blues band called the Sweet Muthaz, you can check out our web site) Banjo, clarinet, trombone, variuos hand drums, Jew's harp (not an instrument to be underestimated), 6 hole bamboo flute, and vox. Looking for a Harmonium.

Hey send me a copy of your paper, sounds interesting.
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

Well, I used to play trumpet at Disneyland. I learned recorder in the Navy, which helped me as a flute major in college. I am organist and pianist at our church, have learned to play the mandolin, which has also given me a headstart on the violin. I sang tenor in college, love to play my Ovation 12 string, and would really love to get some Uilleann pipes. I even know how to spell them, now. JP
Glengary

Post by Glengary »

While as a youth before my voice changed, my voice was an instrument. I sang at Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center, at the Juliard School, at Columbia University and no retaion, Columbia Records. In scouts I learned the bugle and still have it!
Later learned on piano, and later, the electric guitar and played in a band while in college. I presently own a Yamaha keyboard, a player piano, a 12 string guitar (also a Yamaha) and a bunch of whistles!
Mastersound

Post by Mastersound »

As a child I often played on the linoleum. My favourite song was "I call my baby hinge because she's something to adore".

When I was about 11 my parents bought me a cheap guitar which unfortunately never played itself. At 15 I bought "The Pointer System for Guitar" (with a lot of coloured dots to stick on the fretboard) and gave up again. At 17 I found a mate who knew cool stuff like "Smoke on The Water" and "White Room". I decided individual notes were a bit of a chore so I bought the sheet music to American Pie, and from there it was all downhill.

Currently I have a cheap bass, an acoustic guitar, a couple of electrics, some amps, a plectrum banjo I was given, and a mandolin. Oh! And a ukelele I bought in Bali 'cos it was a genuine Gibson!

I've played in pub bands and done weddings and dances and stuff, did a couple of residencies doing solo work in small pubs, and gave it all up about 12 years ago, but now I'm itching to get something started again. Any South Australians interested in a jam sometime?
atarango

Post by atarango »

Okay-
a while back I started the thread on people's day jobs- which I found really fascinating. It really helped to get to know people better- but anyhow I thought I would try with another general question- what instruments do you all play other then the whistle? Just curious about the variety of musicians on this board.

I'll start-
I learned the classical flute starting when I was 9- which was 13 years ago. I was trained by an old 1940's swing band leader- so i have an eclectic jazz/classical style. Along the way I learned alto saxophone which I played for a year- and the marimba- which I played when I had a broken jaw and had to do something musical to keep myself sane. I picked up the tin whistle a few months ago. I can't sing to save my life (I sound like I'm tone deaf but I am not- it always amuses people thoroughly) and have always wished I had learned the fiddle.

anyhow what about you all? post away post away! give me something to read as I procrastinate on my paper!
-Angela

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: atarango on 2002-03-20 20:46 ]</font>
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Do your homework!
:wink:
Chris
atarango

Post by atarango »

Aww c'mon Chris

my essay on the fluidity of sacred space in New York City is almost finished- give me something fun to read! I don't wanna have to resort to playing "memory" with my theological german flashcards to entertain myself tonight!
-Angela
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

I used to play a clarinet in middle school, though I doubt I'd be able to do anything if I picked it up today...
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: claudine on 2002-04-01 12:34 ]</font>
LKtz

Post by LKtz »

I played classical flute in 4th-6th grade, sucked majorly, and stopped. I started Irish dancing and while looking for a irish dance summer camp, sumbled on to the Teen Celtic Music Camp. So I thought, well it's not Irish Dance, but it's Irish <i>something</i>. And so I started by learning Irish Flute, and then it progressed onto Tin whistle, then bodhran, then guitar and finally Uilleann Pipes. And right now I am having a grand old time learning to play anything that comes my way.

Caryn
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

My adventures into music started with piano lessons 2nd & 3rd grade. When I discovered I could play by ear I got lazy. I would have my sister play my practice pieces for me and then I would sit down and the piano and figure them out. Lessons were all downhill after that :smile: . Started exploring Irish music on whistle in the early 80s. These days it's whistle, Scottish smallpipe, Highland bagpipe, bodhrán, pipe & tabor, recorder, spoons, keyboards, plus a bit of Irish flute, rhythm guitar, anglo concertina, melodeon, harmonica, bombarde, didgeridoo, Flemish bagpipe, Appalachian dulcimer, etc.

Cheers,
David
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Angela -
You expect me to believe that Harvard graduate theology work is tough? Yeah right. Next you'll be trying to make believe that ham, peperoni, sausage, salami, bologni, and hot dogs all come from one magical little animal :lol:
Chris

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisLaughlin on 2002-03-20 21:33 ]</font>
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

Learnt piano as a child, never really liked it much, but now I'm thankful to my parents for making me take lessons. And I always enjoyed the music theory part of it. It was so like math.

Went thru a "choir is for wimps and squares" phase in my early teens, which OF COURSE meant I got really into it in pre-university and Uni.

Picked up sax (alto and sop) pretty much on my own after I started work, except for the 1st 6 months where I had a teacher.

Picked up drums about 3 yrs ago.

Now I play both (not at the same time!) in church. Whistles are my secondary instruments in either case, usu played only during communion.

I got me the neon green Yamaha recorder for CHristmas.....