English image of Biscuits & Gravy

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

izzarina wrote:
Martin Milner wrote:Bubble & Squeek - mashed potato & cabbage (I think). I know it sounded mre interesting than it was.
Sounds a bit like Colcannon, which uses mashed potatoes and cabbage as it's two basic ingredients.
I've eaten REAL Amerival biscuits & gravy (once was enough), though maybe IHOP wasn't the best place to try it.
And a real black and tan made with stale Guinness and Bud Lite (I kid you not) at a pub in Cincinnati. :lol:

We belong to a community farm, and get tons of greens in the spring and fall. Under normal circumstances I won't touch cooked greens, and some greens, well, just aren't that appetizing raw, either. I hit upon a modified colcannon recipe. I cook up a half-pound of bacon, drain most of the fat, and saute up some shredded greens (collards, turnip, beet, kale, etc.), in the leavin's in the skillet. About enough greens to fill the 10" skillet at the before they're sweatted. I mash about 4-6 potatoes, add a little milk for consistency, and add the crumbled bacon and sauteed greens. Yumm.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Collards and spinich cooked up with a tablespoon (maybe 2) of bacon grease and balsamic vinegar with nice crusty cornbread... yummy.

Boy, am I getting hungry!
kga26
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kga26 »

Well Jellied eels are made with flavoured Gelatin ....still horrible.

I just posted some 'Englishisms' in Waldons 'Lectionary'. I forgot about cars!

The 'hood' in U.S. Is the 'Bonnet' over here, and the back end is a 'boot' . Whats the 'back end of a car in the states?'

P.S. Your corned beef sounds much nicer than ours, ours is just a can load of
jellied pink stuff that may never have even seen a cow! (Thats why it is only pallatable made up as hash!)
Shall I compare thee to a summers day?
No, thou art more lovely and more temperate.
Cheers Will, mines a pint !
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

kga26 wrote: The 'hood' in U.S. Is the 'Bonnet' over here, and the back end is a 'boot' . Whats the 'back end of a car in the states?'
The trunk.
Which makes me think of spanner (wrench), lorry (truck), windscreen (windshield). .I know there're more auto-related ones...
waitingame

Post by waitingame »

Martin Milner wrote:
Lancashire Pudding - hmm, never heard of that!
I've heard Black Pudding called Lancashire pudding.
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

fancypiper wrote: Not quite. Here in the mountains of North Carolina, these are the meanings:

Jello is made from flavored gelatin (my dad called it "nervous pudding")

Jelly is made from fruit juice. Jelly is clear and firm enough to hold its shape when turned out of its container.

Jam is made from a blend of crushed pieces of fruit and fruit puree.

Preserves (my favorite, why waste any of the fruit?) contain whole or large pieces of fruit, making them thicker and more fruit-filled than jams or jellies. Think lumpy jam.

Marmalade means the same in the UK as in the US.
That's pretty much the way we use these terms here in texas (and my grandparents in Lawton OK) as well. It's worth noting for those who don't know, the fixative in Jello is gelatine, and in jelly is pectin.

I made a jalapeno and cranberry jelly a while back that's pretty good on ritz crackers with philadelphia cream chese :)
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

scottielvr wrote:
kga26 wrote: The 'hood' in U.S. Is the 'Bonnet' over here, and the back end is a 'boot' . Whats the 'back end of a car in the states?'
The trunk.
Which makes me think of spanner (wrench), lorry (truck), windscreen (windshield). .I know there're more auto-related ones...
Tyre/tire

Gearbox/shifter

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
emmline

Post by emmline »

How about "titchy?" I got that off an apple poster in the London Tube. I think it means "dinky."
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Martin Milner wrote:
Toad in the Hole - Sausages baked in a pan surrounded by batter (yorkshire pudding style batter) yum!

Lancashire Pudding - hmm, never heard of that!

Bubble & Squeek - mashed potato & cabbage (I think). I know it sounded mre interesting than it was.

Jellied Eel - yup, eels in jelly. Not lime jelly, but some savoury sort.
We'd call an egg fried with bread and placed in a hole in the middle of the bread 'toad in the hole'. Bubble and squeak would be last night's leftover vegetables fried up for breakfast. I don't know whether Australia is different from England in these respects and since I've lived in both countries for lengthy periods I get a bit confused myself.

BTW, I told a room full of incredulous listeners in Sydney recently about the American way of preparing okra. The look of absolute disgust on their faces was rather funny.
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

chas wrote:And a real black and tan made with stale Guinness and Bud Lite (I kid you not) at a pub in Cincinnati. :lol:
Oh no! That is just plain wrong!!!! :o
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Speaking of fried eggs, here's my favorite. Cook up some sausage or bacon, whichever your vice may be, and leave about half the grease in the pan. Crack your eggs to cook in the pan, and as they start to cook, sprinkle a small or medium amount of Tabasko Smoked Chipotle sauce around the egg. Don't coat it! When ready, flip the egg and grate some sharp to med. sharp Tillamook Cheese (from Oregon) on top and then put some mild green salsa so it heats up as the cheddar melts. Now if you're like me, and like the yolk to not get hard, make sure you do all of this quickly. Toast up an english muffin (not a Sara Lee or cheapy) so that it's ready when the egg is, and butter each half, plate it and place each egg on top of the muffin, and top with your meat. Yummmmmmm. For variation, sometimes I just leave off the sauce, and go with the cheese. If you hate meat, cook with butter in the pan, so you can get the edges of the egg to brown a little. I'm watching my weight, so I don't usually have the meat part :)

Of course, what really makes this all good, is some freshly ground espresso with brown sugar and cream :boggle:
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Wombat wrote: We'd call an egg fried with bread and placed in a hole in the middle of the bread 'toad in the hole'.
We call that Egg in a nest.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Redwolf wrote:Hereabouts you can actually buy vegetarian red-eye gravy mix. I don't know how good it is, not being a huge gravy eater (other than brown gravy on my cornbread dressing at Thanksgiving), but for veggies who miss biscuits and gravy, it's probably worth a try.

I LOVE good old baking powder biscuits...especially with a good, big dollop of honey or raspberry jam.

Redwolf
It's easy to make biscuits and gravy with no animal products. Most (all?) restaraunts that sell it have pieces of pigs in it, though.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

burnsbyrne wrote:I have lived virtually all of my life in the North of the USA and I have to admit that I first heard of bacon gravy, which is a decidedly Southern thing, when I was already an adult. The thought of making gravy out of bacon grease was a bit repugnant to me at the time. It is less repugnant to me now but I still avoid eating it whenever I can. However, I love grits and we make biscuits the same way up here near the Great Lakes as they do in Dixie.
Mmmmm. Grits. I got a recipe for a grit casarole off the food network last week. I'm going to try it soon. Use tomatos and green onions, mix with cooked grits, butter and cheese. Put in oven.

Where in Ohio? I think Great Lake. Singular. Here in Michigan we have Great LakeS. We are THE great lake state. The same goes for you Wisconsoners out there. :lol:
Go Michigan. Will they beat Ohio this year?????
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

geek4music wrote:
burnsbyrne wrote:I have lived virtually all of my life in the North of the USA and I have to admit that I first heard of bacon gravy, which is a decidedly Southern thing, when I was already an adult. The thought of making gravy out of bacon grease was a bit repugnant to me at the time. It is less repugnant to me now but I still avoid eating it whenever I can. However, I love grits and we make biscuits the same way up here near the Great Lakes as they do in Dixie.
Mmmmm. Grits. I got a recipe for a grit casarole off the food network last week. I'm going to try it soon. Use tomatos and green onions, mix with cooked grits, butter and cheese. Put in oven.

Where in Ohio? I think Great Lake. Singular. Here in Michigan we have Great LakeS. We are THE great lake state. The same goes for you Wisconsoners out there. :lol:
Go Michigan. Will they beat Ohio this year?????
Most likely Michigan will beat OSU. It seems to be the tradition. I live in Cleveland but I was born in Detroit and lived there until I was 9...a long time ago. I remember actually swimming in Lake St. Clare (must have been before we admitted the dangers of water pollution) as well as ice skating on the Detroit River near Belle Isle. Half of my family originated in SW Ontario so we're making the circuit of Lake Erie one generation at a time. I figure my great grandchildren should make it as far as London. :)
Mike