Sessions in Denver area

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
tdarnell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sessions in Denver area

Post by tdarnell »

Hi All,

This is my first post to the forum,although I've been lurking for some time. I did a search on 'sessions colorado' on the board but didn't find any recent posts so I thought I'd ask the question: Are there any beginner-intermediate ITM sessions in our area? I know of two sessions that I go to regularly but they are full of pretty advanced players and I don't think I'm up to their speed, so I just go and listen.

Any guidance would be appreciated. I consider myself an intermediate whistle player and a beginning piper. I would never presume to play my pipes in a session, but I'd love to join in on the whistle.

I hope this post is appropriate for this forum, I noticed quite a few similar posts here so I thought I'd give it a try. Please forgive if this isn't the right place.

Thanks!
djm

Post by djm »

Sorry, I don't know Colorado, but there is a site called "The Session": http://www.thesession.org/index.php. Here's what's listed. I don't know if any of this is near to you:

1: Conor O'Neill's, Boulder, Colorado, USA
2: Darcy's Irish Pub & Bistro, Denver, Colorado, USA
3: Fado, Denver, Colorado, USA
4: The Irish Snug, Denver, Colorado, USA
5: The Patriot And Loyalist Pub, Englewood, Colorado, USA
6: Avogadro's Number, Ft. Collins, Colorado, USA
7: Conor O'Neill's, Ft. Collins, Colorado, USA
8: The Small Circle Tune Learning Session, Longmont, Colorado, USA
9: Acoustic Cafe, Nederland, Colorado, USA

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
tdarnell

Post by tdarnell »

Ahh, of course, I should have checked there first. Thanks for reminding me. I had forgotten all about that site.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

I wouldn't NOT go to those more advanced sessions just because you can't play that fast yet or whatever. There is no better teacher than to sit and listen to good players enjoying good music. The fact is, I bet if you asked some of them, they might like to organize a slower sesion (if one doesn't already exist) and play stuff at lest than mach speed. :) Give it a shot - the Denver bunch are all first rate folks. I don't make it out there nearly enough myself.

B~
tdarnell

Post by tdarnell »

Oh, I go to the faster sessions all the time and I do just that - I listen and it's great fun. I particularly enjoy going to the Irish Snug session in Denver on Sundays, those guys are awesome. I always bring my whistle with the intention of joining on the tunes I know, but they play about 1/3 faster than I can play most of time.

I'm pretty self-conscious about my playing and I really don't want to slow these guys down so I was searching for a session that's a bit slower. I'm at a point in my whistle playing where I don't think I'll improve much if I don't start playing with others.

Thanks for the advice, you're right - those guys are first rate. The fiddle player in the Denver session, Tim, is teaching my son the fiddle.
djm

Post by djm »

Hold the whistle selfconsciously. If asked to join in, let them know you can't meet their speed. Most groups are willing to slow down for one or two tunes to accommodate you (but don't expect them to do it all night long).

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.

Post by Guest »

Brian Lee wrote:I wouldn't NOT go to those more advanced sessions just because you can't play that fast yet or whatever. There is no better teacher than to sit and listen to good players enjoying good music. The fact is, I bet if you asked some of them, they might like to organize a slower sesion (if one doesn't already exist) and play stuff at lest than mach speed. :) Give it a shot - the Denver bunch are all first rate folks. I don't make it out there nearly enough myself.

B~
Except that in the US there are not that many good players.

Maybe you could start your own slow session?
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

toasty wrote: Except that in the US there are not that many good players.
You didnt know? All the good musicians from Ireland moved to Boston and New York! :D
Phizillip

Try here too!

Post by Phizillip »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/r2music/folk/sessions/

Let's you practice in the privacy of your own PC.

Phiz
Phizillip of the Hillpeople
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I am in Denver for a week and visited the Thursday night session at The Patriot & The Loyalist pub in Englewood.

Warm, friendly session, with a high standard of playing. This was a large session, around 15 players, and was great fun. They were welcoming and I was made to feel very much at home.

The music was all very familiar from our own sessions in central Arkansas; perhaps the reels were played a hair slower than we take them but no real difference in settings or style.

I really don't think you could go wrong with this session. Ask for the fiddler named Mary, she leads the session and is a great player and a wonderfully friendly person.

Best wishes,

--James
brianc

Post by brianc »

djm wrote:2: Darcy's Irish Pub & Bistro, Denver, Colorado, USA

Nope. That one died a quick death.
brianc

Post by brianc »

TDarnell:

You might also want to check out this site: