Have you ever heard of Elfriede Jellinek

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Have you ever heard of Elfriede Jellinek?

Yes, I've read one of her books
4%
Yes, but I haven't read any of her books
31%
No.
65%

Total votes: 26

Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Have you ever heard of Elfriede Jellinek

Post by Bloomfield »

She is the Austrian writer who just won the Nobel Prize in literature.
/Bloomfield
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

You left off: "Yes, but only since you mentioned her in the Nobel prize thread."

Susan
kga26

Post by kga26 »

Aparrantly she wrote a book called 'The Piano Teacher' . I havn't read it, but have it on good authority that it is a bit risque. She is a recluse, and will not be going to pick up her prize, as she doesn't want any publicity. (So why publish a book?) Anyway, there you have the benefit of my complete knowledge on the subject, which as with everything else is not a lot!
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Bloomieboy, have you read one of her books? And would you recommend them? I just read some comments about "Die Klavierspielerin" and they scare me. I'm afraid I would be lost in depression for the rest of the winter if I read that book.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Heck, I hadn't even heard of Dick Cheney until he won the Vice Presidency of the US of A.

The first time the US put a man into orbit, I didn't hear about it until a week later.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
emmline

Post by emmline »

claudine wrote:Bloomieboy, have you read one of her books? And would you recommend them? I just read some comments about "Die Klavierspielerin" and they scare me. I'm afraid I would be lost in depression for the rest of the winter if I read that book.
Claudine, you have scared me off. Life is heavy enough.
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

She didn't win the prize for The Piano Teacher though, or did she? It's just that it was published in 1986 I think. I went and saw the movie a couple of years ago and it was as disturbing as the mind of the lead character. Check out a review or two for the book on Amazon for more feedback.- The story could have been quite sensual but it decided take a different fork in that road altogether. -mike
Jack

Post by Jack »

I've heard of her, but haven't read anything of hers. I still haven't read The Sorrows Of Young Werther, which you suggested that I read about a year ago. I have the book on my shelf, just haven't gotten around to reading it, yet.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

here she is:

http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe ... ature.html

She is definately NOT a patriot. She would not allow any of her plays to be performed in her native country.

I have not read any of her work. :cry:

I am making my way through "The Known World" by Edward P. Jones and it won the Pulitzer prize. Does this count? Can I get some points for this one? :roll:

I am also making my way through a new Steven King. Does this mean I loose points? :moreevil:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

cowtime wrote:I am making my way through "The Known World" by Edward P. Jones and it won the Pulitzer prize. Does this count? Can I get some points for this one?
Hey if you get points for that, can I get points for reading Make Way for Ducklings to my kids? It won the Randolf Caldecott Medal :wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
emmline

Post by emmline »

(this thread, btw, has gotten disturbingly horizontal.)

Excerpts from Baltimore Sun Book Editor Michael Ollove, on Jelinek:

...a feminist writer with an uncompromisingly dark, disturbing and occasionally brutal vision of human nature...

Her work is peopled by characters who are fractured, self-lacerating
and pathologic.

...lauded by the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences for "her musical flow of voices and counter-voices in novels and plays that with extraordinary
linguistic zeal reveal the absurdity of society's cliches and their subjugating
power."
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

There was a special on NPR about this yesterday....I guess thats why you guys are talking about it...
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

I came in late, as usual. Where'd the poll go? I see only a featureless gray expanse (Maybe that's just the reflection of my cerebral cortex right now). Was there a poll? I wanted to feel validated in my intellectual destitution, dang it. :wink:
emmline

Post by emmline »

Poll's still there Scottie...it's just that this entire thread has become horizontally distorted and you have to scroll right.
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Thanks, emm... You'd think I would have noticed the sudden appearance of an extra scroll bar at the bottom ... cripes. Chalk it up to the cerebellar noninvolution previously referenced...