OUCH! High notes are killing me!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Joe_Atlanta
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OUCH! High notes are killing me!

Post by Joe_Atlanta »

Well, after only a few weeks of playing the whistle, I'm thoroughly hooked and showing signs of WhOA. Following the C&F guide I tweaked my Perri (yeah, the nuclear orange one), then only days later broke down and ordered a very small bore Susato D (along with the Whistler's Pocket Companion). I figured I needed it's quietness for my late night practice (yeah, that's the ticket).

The Susato plays very nicely (much easier overall to play than the Perri, although a much different tone) and it is nice and quiet through most of it's range. After finding a suitable pressure for the low D, it's not too hard to maintain a fairly even volume as I play up through the scale.

However, at the high B there's a kind of a pressure hump where I have to blow quite a bit harder than on the high A. The B (and the upper C# and D) also have a much different tone, bigger, like there's a much stronger harmonic note along with the fundamental and seems a LOT louder (almost ear damaging). I had heard some of this at the high C# and D on the Perri, but it's much more noticeable on the Susato since that whistle is able to play most of the upper octave at a quieter level.

I've played around a lot with my embouchure trying to figure out if that was the problem and certain positions seem to help, but none make the problem go away. I also regularly clear the air ways.

So is this a newbie problem that will get better with practice? Or is it something that is just part of how a(n inexpensive) whistle plays?
glauber

Post by glauber »

In my humble experience, this is a pretty common problem, that affects even some of the expensive whistles. You could try an O'Briain "improved Feadog". It may be harder to play at first, because it will require more breath control, but it shouldn't have this problem.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

protect your ears anyway, buy some earplugs http://www.sensorcom.com/productdetail.asp?ID=409
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Out of about a dozen high D whistles, the ones that are the best in this regard are a Sindt (brass, narrow bore), a narrow-window Hoover Whitecap on a Feadog shaft, and a Jerry-tweaked Generation. All three can go right up to second-octave C# without shrieking, although the Gen and the WC-Feadog sometimes require a little more attention than the Sindt.

Several of my more expensive whistles can't make it quite that far, and some of the cheap ones aren't even happy with the second-octave B.

I think I may have increased my existing high-frequency hearing loss (from years of shooting without ear protection) when I first started out at the beginning of the year. I was playing scales and seeing how high I could go. Then, I developed a ringing in my right ear that lasted for about a week. Now the high notes don't bother me so much. :-?

So, earplugs may not be a bad idea.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Eh?

Best wishes,
Jerry
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

try this thing jerry
this is my dear ol' neighbour, mrs. mannix, never played any music in here whole life,
but she can still here the fifth octave!! i blame these walls!
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Welcome to the wonderful world of Susato's.
If you want a quiet whistle I'm recommend a Hoover.
For volume I'd recommed Silkstone metal. Expensive but worth it.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

And I thought I was the only one with a Perri, seein' as how it's named for my daughter. :)

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Joe_Atlanta

Post by Joe_Atlanta »

Thanks for all the tips and info, folks. If I persist with the upper register arpeggio work I will definitely be using plugs. As it is, I think I'll just avoid those notes until I get a whistle that will play them below ear damaging volume. My Bingamon practice low D arrived today and I'll be spending more time with it than with my current high D's. As it happens, my new low D also suffers from the same pressure/volume/extra loud harmonic at the upper B!
this is a pretty common problem, that affects even some of the expensive whistles....

Several of my more expensive whistles can't make it quite that far, and some of the cheap ones aren't even happy with the second-octave B....
If this a fairly common trait, it's interesting to me that it's not mentioned (or at any rate, emphasized) in any of the tutorials I've seen. Do people just see it as quirk of the instrument that they work around (or with) when playing? An integral part of it's "folkiness"? For myself (not too concerned with the "tradition"), it drives me crazy to not be able to play a relatively even volume scale from low to high. Particularly since we perceive higher notes as louder anyway (Fletcher-Munson Curves).
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

I have no problem with my Oak going up there...I don't really find the highest notes shrill or that they jump out at you. Might consider trying one of those!

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
BEC

Post by BEC »

I just got a set of Syns and was very pleasantly surprised to find that the D, C and Bb bodies all go right up to that top note without a push like you describe (and I have experienced in my Susatos of various size and my Kerry Low D).

The Syn C in particular just goes right up with no fuss and a relatively pleasant sound not unlike my Perri C.

Just another relatively new and quite inexpensive ($30 for the head, $5 each for bodies, $5 for shipping from Australia) alternative.....
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

You might also consider lower pitched whistles like a Bb. Also consider your playing environment. If you sit with your back to a bare wall, or in a small room, you'll get a lot more ear drum hammering than outdoors. When I'm learning a new tune that has those high notes and I'm going to be playing it over and over for the memorization, I use a Bb or A.

For myself, I never play above the high cnat, and that, only sparingly.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

TonyHiggins wrote:When I'm learning a new tune that has those high notes and I'm going to be playing it over and over for the memorization, I use a Bb or A.
Sometimes I use a Hoover whitecap on a Gen tube, which is very easy on the ears. With my other whistles I wear ear protection.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

I finally got a solution for the problem. Renee, my wife, normally complains terribly about High whistle playing in the second octive above D or E. I recently came into a D/C O'Riordan Traveler set. Last night I was playing the D quite a bit in the upper register with nary a complaint from her. The Lancewood Syns I got are OK with her up to about second G.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I think the Walton's C has a very mellow upper register - if you've got one, give it at try. (And at $5, why don't you have one?)

Although my Dixon D isn't terribly quiet in the upper register, my Dixon Bb (same bore size as the D) is. Probably my best high whistle for late-night playing, though the Walton's C comes close.

My Chieftain Bb is not "quiet" in the upper register, but it doesn't have that eardrum-piercing edge either. Not a good late-night don't-wake-the-kids whistle, but I can play it for hours without the high notes bothering me (or maybe it's that once it's warmed up, in tune, and not clogging I hate to let it cool down - its one annoyance that since it's an all-metal whistle it needs a while to warm up).

There you go - three alternatives, going from cheap to medium pricy.
Last edited by DCrom on Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.