For those doing Civil War Genealogy.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MarkB

For those doing Civil War Genealogy.

Post by MarkB »

Genealogy
U.S. History--Civil War
Source: NPS
National Park Service Completes Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System
"The National Park Service (NPS) today announced the completion of the Civil War Soldiers and Sailors (CWSS) System at a special event at Ford's Theatre National Historic Site. The System, which was first started in 1993, was recently completed with the addition of the final soldier names from Pennsylvania and Virginia. This comprehensive computerized database of Civil War veterans, North and South, holds the service records of 6.3 million soldiers. The System can be accessed through any computer with Internet access...In addition to celebrating the completion of the CWSS database, the NPS announced that it has entered into an agreement with National Geographic to do joint mapping and geography projects. One of the first projects will incorporate information from the CWSS System into a map-based Web presentation on National Geographic?s MapMachine. Internet technologies provide innovative ways to enhance the park experience, both for virtual and actual visitors."
See Also: Direct to CWSS
Direct LINK to This ResourceShelf Post

Go here directly: http://www.civilwar.nps.gov/cwss/

Taken from Gary Price's; ResourceShelf website.

I found my great grandfather's record in there. Easy enough to use.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

I tried to look up my grandfather in the Mormon archive in Salt Lake but found there were many, many John McCoy's in the Texas army. He would never talk about it after he got back from the war, so we have no idea which outfit he was in.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
KDMARTINKY
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Great site.....This would have been a shorter route to take when I was working on my Fathers family tree.

By the way....I am a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans and Joined in honor of Elijah Vaughn, 4th kentucky Mounted Infantry. He was attached to the famous "Orphan Brigade" which consisted of 4000 Kentuckians who crossed over to Tennessee and was led by John C. Breckenridge. Saw action at Shiloh, Stones River, Perryville etc...most of the western theater.

The University of Memphis (Memphis State) offered a great class on the Army of Tennessee which helped with following his exploits.

He was one of many Confederate Veterans who refused Pay an Oath to the U.S.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Thanks for that. I hadn't seen it yet. A very good site to start from when looking up histories of CW participants. I will put it in my Genealogy folder.

Thanks

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

What fun! Who would have thought there were 67 "Haralson" men serving in the Confederate army? Before I married, I never could get anyone to hear the "L" so they didn't call me "Harrison." After I divorced, it was easier to stay a "Plank."

We have a family legend about a Confederate relative who had the idea to create gunpowder using urine. There's even a song. (Parental guidance advised.)

http://www.immortalia.com/html/categori ... ldson).htm

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Thanks for this link.

I submitted all the guys in my family tree that would have been the right age and did find the two that I already knew were in the war. One went AWOL after a couple of years, the other was wounded at Chattanooga and I have his widow's pension application that was made for her by her doctor in the 1930's. These two are on my dad's side and were from the mountains of western North Carolina. None on mom's side up here in VA. Southwest VA mountain folk were not inclinded, as a rule, to get involved in this conflict. Of course there were exceptions, but most had the attitude of their ancestors who first settled here- leave us alone.

I've got a good friend who is a Civil War nut. I've gotta send him this link, he'll love it.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

This is a great link! Thanks, MarkB.

Found my great-grandfather, 14th infantry, Kenucky.... hmmm, am I the first here with "Union" forefathers? :P Good thing we're all friends .....

~Judy
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Neat! Found some of my Wisconsin kin...:)
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Where in Wisconsin Moonlight? My great great grandfather settled in Sun Prairie, northeast of Madison, around 1847 or so.

His son, my great grandfather signed up in Madison with the 11th Wisconsin Infantry, then after Vicksburg, was with the 23rd Wisconsin Infantry until he was captured and spent 14 months in Tyler prison, Texas.

HON. JOHN T. BRADLEY, lawyer, was born in 1842, at Galway, Ireland, and moved with his parents to Wisconsin in 1847. He received an academic education at Madison, Wisconsin. Was an apprentice in the Patriot printing office in 1860. Enlisted as a private in the Eleventh Wisconsin Infantry in July, 1861; was wounded at Bayou Cache, Ark., in June, 1862. Was then appointed Regimental Color Sergeant and carried the colors of his regiment in the battles of Fort Gibson, Miss., Raymond, Champion Hills, the storming of Black River Bridge, during the siege of Vicksburg, and in the assault on Vicksburg, May 22, 1863. In 1864 he was transferred to the Twenty-third Wisconsin Infantry, and was captured by the enemy while on the skirmish line at the battle of Mansfield, La., April 8, 1864, and was taken to Tyler Prison, Texas, and kept there fourteen months and until the close of the war. He was breveted Captain of Wisconsin Volunteers with rank from May 1, 1863, for distinguished gallantry, then he returned to Wisconsin and entered the State University, taking a scientific course. He graduated as a Bachelor of Laws in 1869. Came to Kansas in the same year and settled in Wamego, where he remained one year. He was married in 1870 to Miss Josephine McMillan, of Wamego. They have six children--Josephine, Ernest, Mabel, Edith, John T. and William A. He has practiced law at Council Grove since 1871. He was a member of the Kansas State Senate from 1876 to 1880, and was Chairman of the Senate Committee on Public Institutions, also Chairman of Senate Committee on Criminal Jurisprudence. In 1880 was elected and commissioned Colonel of the First Kansas Infantry (N. G.). In 1880 he was elected grand master of the A.O.U.W. He also belongs to the Knights of Honor and the Grand Army of the Republic. Mr. Bradley has always been a Republican and stumped the State for his party during several campaigns.

For a picture of my great grandfather go here, if you wish:

http://www.kancoll.org/books/cutler/mor ... co-p8.html

MarkB[/img]
Last edited by MarkB on Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

My great grandfather's grandfather: http://www.civilwar.nps.gov/cwss/Person ... 1167933411

I've not seen any family photos of him, but we do have family photos of his wife, my great-great-great grandmother, including one of her holding my great grandfather, when he was a baby, in the late 19th century.
Reasonable person
Walden