OT: Northumbrian Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
John S
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by John S »

The Pipes Adrian is playing in the second pic are a set of Boarder Drones and a G chanter by Jon Swayne, interestingly it has a minor 3rd thumb hole at the back (very useful) and plays 3 or 4 notes in the second octave.

John S
Calum

Post by Calum »

Minor third? You sure? That can usually be easily crossfingered - what you sometimes see is an augmented fifth, which is quite difficult to get a stable cross-fingering for, though it can be done. Fraser Fifield plays a chanter like this.

Cheers,
Calum
Davey

hey

Post by Davey »

By the way Ben, I think Joe shjould be the LAST person to talk about men in dresses
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

Men In Dresses. :o BUT I AM A LADY I TELL YOU!
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

....wha...who...wha...? :D

Davey, I got a nice photo of you in a wee dressie, carrying a BIG stick. :D Now, now Mr....uh.....Mrs. Walker, I am sure Davey meant no harm by it.....here's four valium and a litre of Jameson...there's a good girl.

Davey, you ought to learn to be more sensitive you know....? :D
Davey

heh

Post by Davey »

..sensitive my arse... :P ....you should know better than that!
Joseph E. Smith

....had to try you know. :D
gaydrian

miniskirt?

Post by gaydrian »

I see you have met my boyfriend then, what a tart
tompipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

Joe,
Is that Mike Wallace and Sean Conway on your avatar?

Tommy
Joseph E. Smith

Tompipes wrote:"...Is that Mike Wallace and Sean Conway on your avatar? "
===============================================
Why, yes...yes it is the very same people you speak of. That's me playing bass, and Stuart Martz on my fiddle. A very cool evening it was if I can remember it correctly. I have known Mike for nearly twenty years now, and used to fill in on fiddle and guitar and bass and GHBs and vocals when his partners took their holidays............man, good craic I'm telling you!!!

....uh, why do you ask?....
Last edited by Joseph E. Smith on Sat Oct 09, 2004 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph E. Smith

gaydrian:"I see you have met my boyfriend then, what a tart."
===============================================

Now, now.....let's not create a quarrel between the two of you online...as it were.......or at the very least, let not the quarrel be a result of my 'nosieness'. :D
Joseph E. Smith

I guess I cannot seem to let this alone....since you brought it up to me, Tommy. Mike just sent me down a gift of the box collection of one Christy Moore. I have been listening to this series of songs for the last 5 hours...on and off...I remember a very surreal journey the two of us made to Lima, Ohio, one twisted and windy day back in 1988 0r 9. As we were passing the state line between Indiana (or MJichigan) and Ohio, Mike threw a tape into the player and asked if I could learn a 'CHRISTY' song.....it was a beautiful and a striking piece of songwriting from the colorful and guided pen of Jimmy McCarthy (..one of my all time favorite songwriters) entitled 'Mystic Lipstick'. I reached (with intense difficulty and 'ad lib' grace) behind me and managed to find Mike's guitar case, opened it, pulled out the then glorious Alvarez guitar, and began to pick out the chords in G, and Gminor. By the time we entered the city limits of Lima Ohio, we had the song down dead solid (me playing guitar in the shotgun position, Mick driving and directing they way it ought to be done.) Gas, man, I tell you!.....we haven't played it the same since, and hopefully we play it better today. Another song I used to perform (as a solo) was Christy's version of the Little Musgrave ( ity usually took me roughly 20 minutes to pull it off with respectful reflection and ...whatever....) or Matty Groves, as it known by others. A mighty bit of music and one of the finest Ballads (and here I mean the old schtuff) I have ever had the pleasure or honor to hear and perform!
If anything, I am a die-hard CM fan. Listening to these CDs is bringing it all back to me.......mighty schtuff!!!!!
Slan leat.
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

Christy got me through some tough times. :wink:
Joseph E. Smith

...you speak for me also. I tell you, I am now 3/4 through the collection, and I am on my knees, standing in my chair, throwing things, kissing my dog, strapping on the beast, breaking fiddle strings, .....whoops.....the 'Ol DTs' just started playing...gotta go....there's a big memory in there somewhere, I just have to determine which one.............. :D :D :D .
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

benwalker wrote:I think they are NSP's possibly made by Dave Burleigh?
I used to have a dress like that.......... a ladies dress. :wink:

Ah Ben..oops sorry Emily,I didnae know ye were married to THE ONE ....THE ONLY....
Is that the wee scallywag in the foty checking his latest "scientific paper" he is gonna present on the accoustic qualities of universal reeds with a diaphragm,attached to a double C chanter, with the amazingingly new clarinet keys which can play any one of the notes frae his 71 page fingering chart,with the switch of an Iris,allowing ye to sing The Wild Mountain Thyme,Thyme and Thyme and Thyme again?
Och I can see why ye are so enraptured.....the thought o the two o ye singing awa "across the bloomin heather" every night must be quite moving for ye..... :cry:
Slan Go Foill
Uilliam
PS ..nice skirt
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.