Edirol R-1: could this be the Holy Grail in mp3-recording?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
claudine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Edirol R-1: could this be the Holy Grail in mp3-recording?

Post by claudine »

http://www.edirol.com/products/info/r1.html

Edirol R-1 - just read about it on a forum. Seems to be very interesting, just the thing that I had been waiting for. According to this website, it can make high-quality recordings in mp3-format. What do you think - will this be the sessioneer's favourite gadget?
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

these thing always keep on improving, but it sure looks handy enough, worth a chance,
but you might have to pay 25% income tax in Lucilinburhuc when you import from outside europe.
maybe it's best to wait 'till they sell it in germany.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

It looks pretty limited from a session perspective -- it costs a lot ($440 street, $550 list) and can only record two hours (at 64 kb MP3) without swapping memory, if I read it correctly. (Maybe for more money you can get more memory?) And the high quality recording is going to be wasted on a session, anyway.

Looks to me like this is targeted at professional recording projects -- it's got that typical high quality, high price, limited duration profile.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

colomon wrote:It looks pretty limited from a session perspective -- it costs a lot ($440 street, $550 list) and can only record two hours (at 64 kb MP3)
it sure is 2 hours of 24-bit/44.1kHz WAV recording,
http://www.synthtopia.com/news/04_09/Ed ... order.html
pizak

Time

Post by pizak »

So two hours on a 64Mb means 8hrs on a 256Mb.

It also does 1hr with NO COMPRESSION on a 1Gb.

Probably a good medium would be a 256Mb compactflash card ($45) used at 128mb compression (CD quality) giving you 4hrs recording time. Its only the $440 street price thats a problem!)

Paul
glauber

Post by glauber »

It's beginning to look good. I'm still waiting for a $200 device with swapable hard drives, WAV recording and a good interface. Throw in a little qwerty keyboard and i'll buy it!
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Eliezer

Sharpies

Post by Eliezer »

Then again, a Sharp minidisc is just about perfect :party: for this application and costs half as much.

And a decent cassette recorder will do everthing you want except for computer editing. So you play the tape into the computer while you're washing dishes. Big deal.
"Talk cannot cook rice." - Charlie Chan
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

glauber wrote:It's beginning to look good. I'm still waiting for a $200 device with swapable hard drives, WAV recording and a good interface. Throw in a little qwerty keyboard and i'll buy it!
No reason why it shouldn't include an 8-megapixel CCD and a 4x zoom lens, eh?
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

There are always trade offs. Price, portability, sound quality, capacity, size of files, ease of use, ability to export files are some of the items on my list. A mic can help with sound quality, and also add to the cost.

For my needs the sweet spot was a Sony voice recorder. I read an excellent write up by Michael Eskin and bought one.
Scorecard:
portability A+ (tiny--fits in shirt pocket with mic!)
price B ($80 refurb, newer model retails for $150)
capacity B (two hours at medium resolution, newer unit does 4 hours)
sound quality B (using external mic)
interface B (USB to transfer files--a must have for my needs)

Portability is at the top of my list. I carry my Sony virtually everywhere and I can record unobtrusively where a bigger unit will stick out. Most people that see the Sony think it is a cell phone. The Sony records in DVF format, with a conversion to WAV (and then another utility to MP3). Sound quality approximates AM radio.
+ Bill
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

I'm still loving my iRiver iHP-120 after 2 - 3 months of ownership.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Bill Reeder wrote:I'm still loving my iRiver iHP-120 after 2 - 3 months of ownership.
Same here. Biggest problem is I'm recording more stuff than I have time to listen to...
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

Same problem - 94 cds on it so far - but I''m playing it nearly 8 hours a day at work. I'd really been feeling bad about not listening as intensely as I used to and the device has certainly remedied that problem. It did a fine job of recording sessions and workshop at the North Hero Pipers Gathering.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

I was wondering if anyone had those...

So what are the pros and cons of the iRiver?
glauber

Post by glauber »

Darwin wrote:
glauber wrote:It's beginning to look good. I'm still waiting for a $200 device with swapable hard drives, WAV recording and a good interface. Throw in a little qwerty keyboard and i'll buy it!
No reason why it shouldn't include an 8-megapixel CCD and a 4x zoom lens, eh?
What are you anyhow, some kind of photographer? :)

I'm sticking to Sharp minidisc for now, BTW. It's like a cassette recorder for nerds.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
colomon

Post by colomon »

NicoMoreno wrote:So what are the pros and cons of the iRiver?
Pros:
--Small and light
--Can record 2+ hours straight (up to 5 hours if you're willing to reduce sound quality a lot, about 1 hour at WAV format)
--20 GB hard drive means it can hold tons of music -- mine has got 11 days of music festival, several sessions, and 10-20 albums, and I've only used up about half the available space
--when plugged into computer, is an external hard drive (which has saved my bacon doing real work once)
--as a result, downloading music and reorganizing the files on it is easy (if you've got a computer handy)
--nice sound quality
--as a bonus can be used as a portable MP3 player

Cons:
--occasional tiny audio dropouts means recordings will not be pristine (fine for sessions and audience recordings, not so fine for directly dumping albums to iRiver or professional recording)
--built-in rechargable battery means you need to occasionally return to a power outlet. (Looks like you can do maybe six hours of recording without recharging -- exact length will depend on MP3 recording quality)
--files cannot be easily organized without a computer handy. Until you use a computer to do something with them, recordings are just stored voice001, voice002, voice003, etc, without even a useful time stamp.
--user interface is a bit awkward
--recording level controls are very awkward, the recording level is not metered, and the level cannot be adjusted on the fly
--internal mic not terribly good (but small external mic included is fine)
--recording takes time to start -- at best a couple of seconds, at worst maybe 15 seconds (if you have to boot the machine from scratch)

In practice, I ended up working out the following schedule for using it at Goderich: 1) Record a day's worth of classes. 2) Recharge during the 2-3 hours off at dinner time. 3) Record the evening's concerts and maybe a session. 4) Recharge while sleeping. 5) In the morning, hook it up to my laptop, move the previous day's recordings to a directory indicting the date they were made, and copy them to the laptop. This worked very well for me.