Dale Hears From Davy About the Davy Spillane Low Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

I deleted it.
Daniel_Bingamon
antispam: No

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

So, if he's been making these for years then why does it need to be designed. It sounds obvious if it's going through design then it's not the same whistle design being used in the recordings. There's must be something different about it.

It almost gives you a "bait and switch" feeling.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
NZ_Chris

Post by NZ_Chris »

bait and switch??
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

NZ_Chris wrote:bait and switch??
Yeah, like the scam a few years ago where someone was selling grandfather clocks at an unbelievably low price. The picture looked really nice but there was nothing to judge the scale of it against.

So, you send in your money and get back a little desk sized grandfather clock that was worth one 10th what you sent in. Basically you got what you paid for since they did not give any specs in the ads and took a LOT of people for a ride.

Bait with the great deal and Switch to a cruddy one.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I didn't mean it to that extreme but I would expect to see the same kind of whistle used in his performances.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

amar wrote:
DaleWisely wrote: I'd ask that only fairly experienced players/reviewers participate in the tour, and I'd like to keep it under, say eight or ten reviewers. Perhaps you would allow me to "approve" you for the tour...
Dale
i'm out.

:lol:
I could cough up $20, but, like amar, don't fit the qualifications for the tour. No problem surrendering my turn to a better player, though.

:poke: *psst* here - take this whistle!

~Judy
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

amar wrote:i guess that makes me outer than out..
Aren't you the bagman that has to put on shades and bring all those used three-dollar notes to C&F's private banker in Geneva?
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
glauber

Post by glauber »

If you run out of serious, experienced and handsome players for the test, i could participate too. I think 3 days is too little time, though, especially for us working beasts. It needs to be at least a week.

I don't trust whistle reviews, though. Few people want to be ruthless, it's much easier to say something about it "having a nice, airy sound with just a suggestion of chiff", or some other meaningless thing.

Maybe we could do this as a kind of anonymous review. Each person would forward a review to Dale (or somebody else), and this person would serve as editor, putting all the reviews together, then they could be published anonymously.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

DaleWisely wrote:I deleted it.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So much for freedom.

If you don't like what someone else says just delet it :wink:
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
emmline

Post by emmline »

Stacey, this board would be dull as dirt without you!
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Roger O'Keeffe wrote:
amar wrote:i guess that makes me outer than out..
Aren't you the bagman that has to put on shades and bring all those used three-dollar notes to C&F's private banker in Geneva?
i could tell you, but then i'd have to kill you.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I already emailed Stacey and told her why I deleted her message, and while I was at it, told her that I wasn't sure it was the right thing to do or not. I have doubts about my handling of this whole issue. Over the long run, I hope I can shed more light than I've been able to so far.

I'm thinking about doing a Chiff & Fipple spin-off lichen site:

WHISTLEMAKERS! STRIPPED DOWN TO THEIR UNDERWEAR! FIGHTING IT OUT IN BIG TUBS OF CORK GREASE!

Thanks,

Dale
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

ooooo......i'd like that on dvd with 5.1 dolby digital sound...
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Dale, I think you did the right thing about deleting Stacey's post. While I really like to post spicy messages myself (and enjoy reading Stacey's posts), the message was about some other whistle maker's business practice, and was from a whistle-maker itself, thus making the whole thing much more dangerous.

I guess you must remember when I posted a message about Shannaquay's prices a while ago, and had the owner threathen to sue a bunch of us. I wouldnt have made the same comment if I would have been a shop owner myself, I think that would have been a post worth deleting.
Jay-eye

SPILLANE WHISTLE SIGHTED!!!!!

Post by Jay-eye »

Dear friends and fellow fipplers
It is with great excitement and considerable humility that I announce to a waiting forum that I am ‘the chosen one’.

Yes, the great Spillane has chosen little old ME to be the first recipient of his GREAT NEW WHISTLE. Obviously Messrs McGoldrick, McCusker and McCullough (as well as Mlle Madden) are busy elsewhere, Dale is still undisuted but quite indisposed due to his appearances on the televised debates and so…. as a long time C&Fer with the fewest posts Mr Spillane has obviously realised what a thoughtful and sensitive person I am.

And I am - everybody says so. Definitely worthy of such a great honour.

This will probably catapult me into stardom. DS will probably want me to go on talk shows and stuff and talk about how it all happened and mebbe even play a little bit – better start practising! We could even appear TOGETHER! Play together, even. Course, I’d let him do all the fancy bits. I’d just toot along…. Do those amusing farty noises that amuse my family so much. I think he’d love those – might even want me to show him how to do them! I would, I wouldn’t mind sharing my secrets.

Anyway, just to bring you up-to-date, seconds ago I arrived home to find the mailman has left a long, thin and securely wrapped parcel while I was out, postmarked ‘Ireland’ and the customs sticker signed by one, “Davy Spillane” !!!

Imagine my excitement!

What a fantastic thing to happen!

And dear Chiffandfipplers, I’m going to share this poignant, historical moment with you all as I unwrap the whistle right now, LIVE, on this forum.

Here goes………

It’s securely wrapped in a stout carton but there’s a small hole through which I can just get a tantalising glimpse of finely polished aluminum. Looks nice….

OK, the box is open. I’m lifting out THE MOST AMAZING whistle.

It’s long, way way long. And there’s a plastic bit on the end, yep, definitely a plastic mouthpiece….. with a cute slidey flap across the wind hole. I’ve never seen a mouthpiece like this – I’m not sure my mouth’s that big. I think there must be a bit more to it I think. Probably left a bit in the box.

It’s quite long and fat, man. Huge. Quite the fattest pipe I’ve ever played, the fingerholes are going to be a wide stretch, I think. Let’s see…….. Let’s see these here fingerholes…….

Huh? No holes? Maybe I left them in the carton? Lemmeesee…..

No! Wait a minute….

This isn’t a whistle!
This is NOT a whistle!

This is the new downpipe I ordered for my Hoover! There’s a note here.

“Dear customer, we are despatching this vacuum cleaner part directly to you from our manufacturing plant in Ireland…. Blah, blah, blah…. Yours sincerely, DAISY Spillane, customer services controller” !!!!!!!!

Daisy!

I’m crushed, crushed I tell you.

How could he be so cruel!

I’m sorry. I can’t talk anymore, I’m just too emotional. I’m going into the garden to kick the Feadog. I may be sometime……