Giving Helpful Advice

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Giving Helpful Advice

Post by IDAwHOa »

from a different perspective.

Helpful Advice

A wife was making a breakfast of fried eggs for her husband. Suddenly he burst into the kitchen. "Careful ... CAREFUL! Put in some more butter! Oh my GOSH! You're cooking too many at once. TOO MANY! Turn them! TURN THEM NOW! We need more butter. Oh my GOSH! WHERE are we going to get MORE BUTTER? They're going to STICK! Careful ... CAREFUL! I said be CAREFUL! You NEVER listen to me when you're cooking! Never! Turn them! Hurry up! Are you CRAZY? Have you LOST your mind? :boggle: Don't forget to salt them. You know you always forget to salt them. Use the salt. USE THE SALT! THE SALT!"

The wife stared at him in disbelief. "What the hell is wrong with you? Do you think I don't know how to fry a couple of eggs?"

The husband then calmly replied, "I just wanted to show you what it feels like when I'm driving."
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Not just driving.

That's exactly what Arleen sounds like when I'm cooking.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Darwin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Darwin »

My mother was the worlds greatest backseat driver, and she could sound a lot like that. Since all of our relatives were in East Texas or the Houston area, and we generally lived everywhere else (MS, FL, LA, North and South Texas), we spent an inordinate amount of time on the road--we always went to Texas for Christmas and for summer vacations.

My father, however, was totally unflappable. I think I learned a little of that from him, along with a love of Tex-Mex music.

In my mother's defense, when she was a teenager, she was riding in a car that was in an accident in which someone was killed, and it made a big negative impression on her. She hated driving, herself. (And I guess I learned that from her.) One day, when she was in her 70s, she was driving home, lost control of the car, and ended up in the front yard of the Methodist church a block from our house. She never drove again.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Re: OT: Giving Helpful Advice

Post by Walden »

NorCalMusician wrote:WHERE are we going to get MORE BUTTER? They're going to STICK! Careful ... CAREFUL! I said be CAREFUL! You NEVER listen to me when you're cooking! Never! Turn them! Hurry up! Are you CRAZY? Have you LOST your mind? :boggle: Don't forget to salt them. You know you always forget to salt them. Use the salt. USE THE SALT! THE SALT!"

The wife stared at him in disbelief. "What the **** is wrong with you? Do you think I don't know how to fry a couple of eggs?"

The husband then calmly replied, "I just wanted to show you what it feels like when I'm driving."
Ever considered family counseling? :)
Reasonable person
Walden
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

you fellas should be thankfull you have a wife that can cook!
i remember from being around 4 years of age, i always felt hungry in the nighttime,
my grandmother looked after me, i always loved here, but she wasn't a great cook.

so i'd feel lucky if i were you!

and now i still have to cook myself, what a moaning :roll:
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: OT: Giving Helpful Advice

Post by anniemcu »

NorCalMusician wrote:from a different perspective.

Helpful Advice

A wife was making a breakfast of fried eggs for her husband. Suddenly he burst into the kitchen. "Careful ... CAREFUL! Put in some more butter! Oh my GOSH! You're cooking too many at once. TOO MANY! Turn them! TURN THEM NOW! We need more butter. Oh my GOSH! WHERE are we going to get MORE BUTTER? They're going to STICK! Careful ... CAREFUL! I said be CAREFUL! You NEVER listen to me when you're cooking! Never! Turn them! Hurry up! Are you CRAZY? Have you LOST your mind? :boggle: Don't forget to salt them. You know you always forget to salt them. Use the salt. USE THE SALT! THE SALT!"

The wife stared at him in disbelief. "What the hell is wrong with you? Do you think I don't know how to fry a couple of eggs?"

LOL... there's a young man who fancies my eldest daughter, and who acts like this when *she* drives (he doesn't have a car). She's actually a pretty good driver, but he was in a bad accident a couple of years ago and is very, very nervous... she's decided that he may not be right for her... thank the POB!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Who ever said Arleen can cook? (She can, actually. She does some cooking, I do some cooking, the girls do some cooking. It's a good thing.)

Best wishes,
Jerry
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

My wife, Carol, and I enjoy doing many things together. Gardening, hiking, biking, playing games, making music :), etc. At our place, we have a roomy eating area but a tiny kitchen. Carol does the majority of the cooking, and I try to get in there and cook myself two or three nights a week. When I cook, she hovers. It's not to tell me what to do, but to help. I usually chase her out of the kitchen, telling her that she's been busting her butt all day and deserves a short break. The whole idea of me cooking is to do my share and help take one chore off of her hands. She giggles and, reluctantly, leaves the kitchen smiling and shaking her head.

Our kids are now 14 and 11, and the 11 year old really enjoys cooking. She gleans recipes from a variety of sources and plots out her next project with zeal. The only problem is, if I dare try to help her, she chases me out of the kitchen and insists I take a break. Physically barricades the door even, that grinning little punk.

Kids these days.

Jef
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Jeferson wrote:Kids these days.
My granddaughter (who's quite a good cook) often says, "Grandpas these days!"
Mike Wright

--Goethe
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

We brought Lalitha home from India when she was eight. She already knew how to cook (in an eight year old sort of way).

Soon after she got here, before she had much grasp of English, we took her to Girl Scouts with her sisters. As it happens, for several weeks during that time, the Girl Scout troop was concentrating on cooking. Lalitha thought this was strange. Why would you go somewhere to visit a bunch of people and then for recreation, cook (i.e., work)?

Best wishes,
Jerry
Jack

Post by Jack »

I find cooking to be much easier than driving.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Cranberry wrote:I find cooking to be much easier than driving.
Me to. And, on average, less likely to result in death or dismemberment. (I did specify "on average".)
Mike Wright

--Goethe
emmline

Post by emmline »

After having coached two teens through the driving process (with 2 to go,) I have a great appreciation for the subtlety required in minimal-intrusion passenger seat driving. They normally prefer me over their Dad who makes noises like "auuuwaaahhh!" or "there's a CAR COMING!"
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

it's all right to help each other out, it's nice to be nice, do stuff together, but...
i think it's wise not to coach your partner, if i tryed that, i'd be over in casualty :lol:
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

Teaching somebody to drive and teaching someone to cook is way differant
First men always think they know best when it comes to both.
Secondly.
Bad driving KILLS, bad cooking only makes you eat out more.
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&