India Imported Low D tin whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
epengr

India Imported Low D tin whistles?

Post by epengr »

Hello,

I have seen numerous inexpensive Low D whistles in the $30-$40 range around the net and on eBay that are all imported from India and look to be the same (resembling, I think, Overtons in design).

Has anyone had a chance to play one of these? Are they worth the small price? Would they be okay for a first low whistle?

Anything you can tell me would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

eastern low D's are mostly out of tune, but for the same price,
you can buy one in tune for 24$!!
http://jubileeinstruments.messianic-web ... owdrev.htm
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

I've got one. Construction is pretty "folksy" and they clog easily. Some say they have tuning problems, especially in the second register. Why not try a Jubilee practice low D?
Reasonable person
Walden
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

lixnaw wrote:eastern low D's are mostly out of tune, but for the same price,
Looks like I got beat to the punch, on both counts. :lol:
Reasonable person
Walden
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

Walden wrote:
lixnaw wrote:eastern low D's are mostly out of tune, but for the same price,
Looks like I got beat to the punch, on both counts. :lol:
that's probably because i might order a sterling silver copeland low D tomorrow,
or would i be too fast on the draw then?
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

One of my favorite whistles is an indian or pakistani low A that cost only a few buck. It's got a lovely tone and plays like a dream, although the top of the upper register is a bit dodgy.

I liked it so much I went back to the shop and bought one in B, but that one was no good at all.

Although when I play it I resolutely don't think about the possible lead content in the solder that's holding it together.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

The standard story about the reinvention of the low whistle is that Finbar Furey had an old bamboo whistle made in Pakistan I think. It was falling apart but he used it on stage and needed a replacement. He met Bernard Overton and the rest is history. I imagine you can still get the bamboo whistles.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Wombat wrote:The standard story about the reinvention of the low whistle is that Finbar Furey had an old bamboo whistle made in Pakistan I think. It was falling apart but he used it on stage and needed a replacement. He met Bernard Overton and the rest is history. I imagine you can still get the bamboo whistles.
Yeah. They run about US$8.
Reasonable person
Walden
littlejohngael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been with Chiff and Fipple since shortly after I bought my first low D. I've learned loads from this community, and I intend to continue to learn and contribute. Many thanks to Dale and everyone who makes this site happen.

Post by littlejohngael »

I bought on of those Low Ds from India -- against the advice of Jessie and several others. It was SO HORRIBLE I almost cried, and would have if I hadn't been a man <scratches, makes gorilla noises>. It was my first Low D and I was so disappointed.

The prevailing wisdom was, toss in a couple more bucks and get a Kerry Low D or a Howard or something. I wholly support that idea now. I sent my disappointing purchase back for a refund -- minus a $15 restocking fee -- and purchased a Kerry. It was a wonderful first whistle.

I wholeheartedly agree with the idea of a Jubilee practice Low D, too. Inexpensive, but you get a really good whistle.

Best to you,

Little John
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

My suggestion and its only that, is to pitch in a couple extra dollars and stay away from these instruments. I have bought two, had them about a week and actually gave them away. The two main problems have been mentioned 1) clogging 2) tuning. The second being the most disturbing.
The Susato is a pretty good low cost Low D and so is the Bingamon.

But you know its your hard earned money.....if you want to get the Low D from india, then I say go for it...you may find one that actually plays well.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I got a brass low d Pakistani whistle. Unplayable basically. Now, I have a cane whistle in A that is remarkably good. Got one in EE that was unplayable. Same company. But different construction and materials.
Apparently there are some people over there that know what they are doing. And some don't. Or are prison (slave) labor.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

The Jubilee is a good bargain, but unless you've got huge, bellows-like lungs be prepared to do some tweaking. The air requirements are dizzying, especially in the 2nd octave.

A piece of soda straw (requires trimming and some adjustment) inserted in the airway and packed on either side with some tacky, non-toxic material works pretty well.
epengr

Post by epengr »

Thanks for all the great advice. I had serious doubts about the usability of those indian imports already, and it sounds like my instincts were on the money.
I am amazed that after weeks of looking I had not come across those practise low D's!?! Anyways, I ordered one of those, and if it goes well I think a real low D will find its way onto my xmas list :-).

Thanks again,

David
Joe_Atlanta

Post by Joe_Atlanta »

epengr wrote:I am amazed that after weeks of looking I had not come across those practise low D's!?! Anyways, I ordered one of those
I just got mine from WWW.TINWHISTLES.US and I don't think you'll be disappointed, it's an amazing bang for the buck. Holes are relatively close, I (medium hands) can play it in standard fashion just by spreading my fingers. However, it's really comfortable using the pipers grip. Low D is huge, really synced with the tube. Rest of the first octave is very good. On mine, things get a little dodgy at the high E. It and the rest of the upper octave is tougher to get a good sound, but with just a bit of practice, things are getting better. Finish is a bit rough in spots, but it doesn't seem to affect the playability (and what do you want for $24, gold plating?) :D

Just FYI, the thing is really huge, regular D whistles now feel like pencils in my hands. I'm looking forward to putting on my best Crocodile Dundee voice and saying "Now this is a whisle!"

EDIT: I cut a piece of emery board to size and just barely smoothed and blunted the edge of the sound blade and the upper register improved immensely.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I got busy and couldnt find the link earlier, but I ordered a Bb from tribalearth, through a bid on ebay. Pvc, fake wood look. Sorta of a different mouthpiece too. Not tunable. But actually more than fairly playable. Low breath requirements. Not really chiffy enough for my taste but some would like it.
The point being made is that they make a low D for 25 bucks. If it's somewhere near the quality of the Bb, I'm sure it's worth the money they are asking. I'm guessing it is. The guy makes digeridoos and native american flutes too.
Anyone see those on ebay and wondered about them, they arn't half bad.
Much better than most of my Pakistani - indian experiences.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.