Looking for a low D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistling Willie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Looking for a low D

Post by Whistling Willie »

HI all,I'm still looking for a low D,and was wondering if there was any board members from the UK or Ireland that are selling a low D,something relatively easy to play as I have never played one before. :boggle:

Thank's.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

If you don't get any offers for anything you want, one of the members here offers a pvc "practice low D" whistle. Several people here purchased one as an intro to the low D. Although it's called a "practice" whistle, it's actually not bad, and supposidly has been improved upon recently. About 20 bucks as I remember. I'm sure Bingamon won't mind me giving you a link to it. http://jubileeinstruments.messianic-web ... owdrev.htm
I had a lot of fun with mine. I cut it to make it tunable, and then insted of using a straight coupler, I used a 45 degree angle coupler.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Thank's Vomit bunney,I'll keep that in mind.
Miwokhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Miwokhill »

Hi Willie, The practice whistles aren't bad but even the improved version takes alot of puffing. The Tony Dixon is more of a keeper. They have tunable ones as well but the one piece is 42 pounds inc. VAT. Maybe search this forum under --Dixon AND low-- for more feedback on these. Mike McLaughlin
Whistling Willie

Thank's Mike,I had a look and they look ok,some good feedback on the board about them too.
happyturkeyman

Post by happyturkeyman »

Miwokhill wrote:Hi Willie, The practice whistles aren't bad but even the improved version takes alot of puffing. The Tony Dixon is more of a keeper. They have tunable ones as well but the one piece is 42 pounds inc. VAT. Maybe search this forum under --Dixon AND low-- for more feedback on these. Mike McLaughlin
The practice whistle has been revised twice now both to reduce breath requirements. Last time was pretty recently. I don't know which one Miwokhill is referring to.

I own the first revision (2nd version) and find it fine on air requirements, but that's from a non-whistle-exclusive background.
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

After just now comparing the Dixon low D to the Jubilee I may have to admit to slightly overstating the Jubilee's air requirements in saying "alot of puffing". It does take more though and I notice it after playing it for a tune or two. The Jubilee is a very nice whistle though especially at that price. The sound is full and the fingering is very easy. - I'd still probably tell someone to get the Dixon, but I don't think you could go far wrong with the Jubilee either, especially at $22.00 --mike
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I would highly recommend a fine Low D produced by Phil Hardy. The instrument has a beautiful clear tone. Smooth transfers from upper to lower registers and is built to last. The space between fingerings is a bit on the large side, but if you have medium to large hands its not a problem.

Heres his sight: http://www.kerrywhistles.com/

Phil is a great person who I bet would being to answer any questions you may have.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

KDMARTINKY wrote:I would highly recommend a fine Low D produced by Phil Hardy. The instrument has a beautiful clear tone. Smooth transfers from upper to lower registers and is built to last. The space between fingerings is a bit on the large side, but if you have medium to large hands its not a problem.

Heres his sight: http://www.kerrywhistles.com/

Phil is a great person who I bet would being to answer any questions you may have.

true, but not tooo good for a beginner, the whistle can clog and takes more air then the dixon. hey, the DS has got a plastic head too.....

just a thought...
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

It's all going to boil down to taste. I have a Dixon, and it has a lot going for it - low air demands, easy fingering (you can play with the high whistle grip, if you like), and sounds nice. Quiet, too - nice for late night practice.

But since I got my Howard Low D, I almost never play the Dixon. The Howard has huge fingerholes, requires piper's grip, needs more air and better air support . . . much more challenging to play. But the tone moves me in a way that the Dixon doesn't, and with more practice I found my initial problems vanishing.

I wouldn't worry too much about initial difficulty (though I'd pick up a high whistle at the same time!) - on the great scale of things, even a low D is one of the easier intruments to play. But (if at all possible) try to get a chance to listen to the various low D's you're considering and go with the one that sounds the best to you.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

if your fingers are not too skinny, then go for a howard, 82.50 sterling and free shipping anywhere in the world!
http://www.howardmusic.co.uk/whistles_low_d.htm
have a listen here http://www.flutesite.com/howard_low_d.htm
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

amar wrote:
true, but not tooo good for a beginner, the whistle can clog and takes more air then the dixon. hey, the DS has got a plastic head too.....

just a thought...
My new-style chieftain doesn't really have any clogging issues.

I'd definitely say the old-style was not for beginners..I got mine when I was a year old into the whistle, and it was easily 6 or 7 years before I felt comfortable playing anything other than slow airs on it.

I think the new style (and probably most low Ds) would still be a little challenge, but not nearly so much as the older one.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

I too recommend the Howard low D. I loved the sound, and I found it easy to play (not having played any low whistles before). My Howard might have to find a new home if my fingers don't start growing, though. Too big a stretch for my hands.

However, I'm definitely among the 90% who are clueless in terms of reviews. For low D whistles, I've only played a Susato and a Howard.

Jennie
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I'll probably be ridiculed for saying this, but I really like my Shaw low d. BUT it appears that I might have the only good one in existance...........
I reach for it befor I reach for the Kerry. The tone isn't real typical. Definitly not "cosmic drain pipe". But it's still nice, and the fingering is the most comfortable of any big whistle I own. If one was to want an easy whistle to learn piper's grip, that would be it.

Ps. A couple of bits of matchsticks totatlly fixed the breath requirement on this thing. It has a nice focused flutey tone now. Decent volume too.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

Mabe if you give Davey a ring.... he will let you have one of his to review :lol:
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&