OT (Irish language enthusiasts): Hooray, it's finally out!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

OT (Irish language enthusiasts): Hooray, it's finally out!

Post by avanutria »

<a href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... 651">Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Book 1): Irish Gaelic language edition</a>

:D :D
emmline

Post by emmline »

Ok,ok...links to Welsh, other stuff, but where is the Scottish Gaelic edition, or do they think Irish is close enough?
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

emmline wrote:Ok,ok...links to Welsh, other stuff, but where is the Scottish Gaelic edition, or do they think Irish is close enough?
I second that emm. Alba Go Bragh!
scottielvr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scottielvr »

fearfaoin wrote:Alba Go Bragh!
:lol: :lol:

Post by Guest »

emmline wrote:Ok,ok...links to Welsh, other stuff, but where is the Scottish Gaelic edition, or do they think Irish is close enough?
No no no! Wales is so full of Wizards already another one, esp imaginary, would be too many.
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Irish Gaelic? I can't even read music!
Jack

Post by Jack »

It's expensive and not very practical to publish in Scottish Gaelic and Scots (and Irish, too, for that matter) because only a handful of elderly people are monolingual in one of the languages, besides small children of course. Virtually everybody who speaks Irish or Scottish also speaks English.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Cranberry wrote:It's expensive and not very practical to publish in Scottish Gaelic and Scots (and Irish, too, for that matter) because only a handful of elderly people are monolingual in one of the languages, besides small children of course. Virtually everybody who speaks Irish or Scottish also speaks English.
Ah, but Irish, at least, is required in the schools, and having popular literature published in the language helps encourage children to learn it (and shows them its value).

Scots isn't a language...it's a dialect of English. But publishing in Scottish Gaelic (not to mention Welsh) will have the same effect as publishing in Irish. Why should kids bother with their ancestral language if the kind of books they want to read aren't published in it?

I'm going to buy a copy of Harry Potter in Irish, both to encourage this kind of publication and to help me with my studies...it's sure a lot more fun to read Harry Potter than a boring old textbook!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
oleorezinator
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

what no hittite?
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Jack

Post by Jack »

Redwolf wrote:Ah, but Irish, at least, is required in the schools, and having popular literature published in the language helps encourage children to learn it (and shows them its value).
French is required in Canada's schools. Look at all the people in Alberta who speak fluent French. ;-)
Scots isn't a language...it's a dialect of English.
There's actually no consensus on whether it's a dialect or a language in its own right. Personally, I think it's only considered a dialect of English because Scotland did not become independent of England. Norwegian is now considered its own language, but before Norway and Denmark were seperate countries, Norwegian was considered a dialect of Danish.
But publishing in Scottish Gaelic (not to mention Welsh) will have the same effect as publishing in Irish. Why should kids bother with their ancestral language if the kind of books they want to read aren't published in it?
I completely agree. I didn't mean to imply that people shouldn't try to get works published in the Celtic languages. They by all means should. I just stated the major reason why they don't.
I'm going to buy a copy of Harry Potter in Irish, both to encourage this kind of publication and to help me with my studies...it's sure a lot more fun to read Harry Potter than a boring old textbook!
I think I'm the only person on this forum who has never read Harry Potter. :P
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Harry who?

Interestingly I see it's available in Ancient Greek too. Surely more people are currently fluently speaking Scots Gaelic than Ancient Greek?

I know that Winnie the Pooh has been published in 23 different languages, including Latin, but not Irish Gaelic. Hmmm.

Clearly these books are published with students in mind, so if Scots Gaelic is not to go the way of Cornish and Isle of Man Gaelic, maybe it's time for the Scottish Parliament to step in and do something, like, now.

I'd luv tae read a copy wa Hairy Pooter in this style:

http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/vli/l ... /index.htm
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Cranberry wrote:I think I'm the only person on this forum who has never read Harry Potter. :P
I have never read Harry Potter nor do I intend to.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
caniadafallon

Post by caniadafallon »

That's really sad, dubhlinn. :(

I'm so stoked about it being in Welsh-- maybe it will be just the thing to push me forward with my studies. And Ancient Greek? Way cool... I could brush up from college, as I've forgotten a lot since then. Thanks for pointing this out, Ava!!
Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
~Berthold Auerbach
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

fearfaoin wrote:I second that emm. Alba Go Bragh!
Hmmm.... I was sure I saw Alb Go Bragh-less ...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
emmline

Post by emmline »

anniemcu wrote:
fearfaoin wrote:I second that emm. Alba Go Bragh!
Hmmm.... I was sure I saw Alb Go Bragh-less ...
oh no...almost never. Who needs droop?