Now, THAT'S a banjo

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Paul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Now, THAT'S a banjo

Post by Paul »

Jessie posted in my Concertina thread that she was getting an Autoharp soon which led me to do a search to the maker's (Orthey) site which led to this link about the Stoneman Family:

http://www.fmp.com/orthey/stoneman.html

Which is quite interesting. If you scroll down a bit there is a picture of them and one of the boys is seated behind a huge banjo. Does anybody know anything about those or how it sounds?

23 kids :boggle: :o
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Nah, that's a bodhran disguised as a banjo! :D

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
DCrom
antispam: No

Post by DCrom »

MarkB wrote:Nah, that's a bodhran disguised as a banjo! :D
Sort of like a lawyer wearing a shark costume? :twisted:
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

DCrom wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Notice that that great big banjo seems to have led Jim to the string bass.

I'm sure everyone remembers Roni on Hee-Haw, with her hair in curlers and her front teeth blacked out--the housewife from Hell.

Scotty became one of the all-time hot fiddle players and played some great stuff with the Kentucky Colonels. He could completely keep up with Clarence White.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Will O'B
Location: The Other Side Of The Glen (i.e. A Long Way From Tipperary)

Post by Will O'B »

DCrom wrote:
I respectfully request that you immediately cease making any and all malicious and unflattering comments against sharks. Thank you. :)

Attorneys, on the other hand, are fair game!

Will O'Ban
So long as men can breathe, or eyes can see,
So long lives this, and this gives life to thee.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I remember a lot of them real well. I have played a little in a back lot session with Jimmy and Scot. I don't remember that banjo though. When I knew him Jimmy played string bass. There used to be a country music contest near Mannassas, VA in the 50s and 60s time period. Scot won top fiddler and the stonemans top band every year. A group I was friends with came in second to them one year. I hate to think that was over 40 years ago.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
glauber

Post by glauber »

That's a BMD(*)

Actually, probably some kind of bass banjo. Check out this one:
http://www.xstrange.com/bassbanjo.htm
Scary.

(*)Banjo of Mass Destruction
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
oleorezinator
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

once upon a time, string instrumrnt makers made corresponding equivilants of the violin family. mandolin, mandola, mandocello, mandobass. and some oddball pairings such as banjolins, banjo-ukes (which were the soprano voice of a banjo quartet) cool stuff.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

oleorezinator wrote:once upon a time, string instrumrnt makers made corresponding equivilants of the violin family. mandolin, mandola, mandocello, mandobass. and some oddball pairings such as banjolins, banjo-ukes (which were the soprano voice of a banjo quartet) cool stuff.
Mandocellos are some of the coolest sounding things out there. I know an excellent Jazz duet who play soprano sax and mandocello mostly (sometimes with Bass and drums as a quartet). Very very good, and a great sound. Geoff Goodman and Chris Hirson. (Great people, too.)

http://www.jazzrecords.com/musicians/g_g_disc.htm

Their first one, Before & After is my favorite.
/Bloomfield
TomB

Post by TomB »

Bloomfield wrote:
oleorezinator wrote:once upon a time, string instrumrnt makers made corresponding equivilants of the violin family. mandolin, mandola, mandocello, mandobass. and some oddball pairings such as banjolins, banjo-ukes (which were the soprano voice of a banjo quartet) cool stuff.
Mandocellos are some of the coolest sounding things out there. I know an excellent Jazz duet who play soprano sax and mandocello mostly (sometimes with Bass and drums as a quartet). Very very good, and a great sound. Geoff Goodman and Chris Hirson. (Great people, too.)

Are there soundclips anywhere?

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

There are a couple on the page I linked, of the Human Lives CD. I knew them back in Munich ten years ago, don't know what their most recent stuff is like, but I don't doubt it's good. Amazing musicians.
/Bloomfield
TomB

Post by TomB »

Bloomfield wrote:There are a couple on the page I linked, of the Human Lives CD. I knew them back in Munich ten years ago, don't know what their most recent stuff is like, but I don't doubt it's good. Amazing musicians.
Thanks, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

Bloomfield wrote:

Blast! Our company's IT/Decency Police group is working overtime, I see. They've filtered this site and won't let me access it. I guess this means those mandocello they're showing are nude???

:boggle:
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Hirson / Goodman's second CD is called "Nudism." Aren't you glad you are protected from modern jazz by your company?
/Bloomfield
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

They still do...

In Hobgoblin in London I've seen many weird and wonderful variations on the plucked string & fretted fingerboard pattern. I'm probably oversimplifying, but once you can play one fretted string instrument, you're halfway towards playing any others. It's only a question of the tuning and the fret spacing that makes it different.

I've also seen sites offering all the variations between fiddle & double bass, and even a soprano fiddle!