Ansari X Prize won seconds ago???

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Ansari X Prize won seconds ago???

Post by Brian Lee »

The official numbers are still coming in, but it looks as if Burt Rutan and his team at Scaled Composites have pulled off the requirements to win the $10,000,000 X prize - putting private industry, and hopefully soon, the public into space!!!

History in the making!

Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Space? I want one of them flying cars with the flux capacitor!
Reasonable person
Walden
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Walden wrote:Space? I want one of them flying cars with the flux capacitor!
Yeah, when will we EVER have time travel? I have LOT"S of mistakes to cover up, I mean correct. :lol:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Space the final frontier for those that can afford it. I wish them well, hopefully they (private enterprise) won't be locked into near earth orbit for the next century like NASA.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Bloomfield

Re: Ansari X Prize won seconds ago???

Post by Bloomfield »

Brian Lee wrote:The official numbers are still coming in, but it looks as if Burt Rutan and his team at Scaled Composites have pulled off the requirements to win the $10,000,000 X prize - putting private industry, and hopefully soon, the public into space!!!

History in the making!
Can I nominate some members of the public I'd like to put into space first?
/Bloomfield
jsluder

Re: Ansari X Prize won seconds ago???

Post by jsluder »

Bloomfield wrote:Can I nominate some members of the public I'd like to put into space first?
Round-trip or one-way? That would be two very different lists...
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Oh, definitely one way. :)
/Bloomfield
emmline

Post by emmline »

NorCalMusician wrote:
Yeah, when will we EVER have time travel? I have LOT"S of mistakes to cover up, I mean correct. :lol:
NorCal: you can check this link. The energy requirements, however, are formidable.http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=books
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

emmline wrote:
NorCalMusician wrote:
NorCal: you can check this link. The energy requirements, however, are formidable.http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=books
All that's needed to travel to the future, noted theoretical physicist Davies asserts, is a little help from gravity and a spaceship that can reach speeds just under the speed of light. Traveling to the past is a trickier task, however
Man, what fun is that. You can get to the future, but not get back to tell anyone.... That is unless you went far enough that the technology was developed.... nah, now is screwed up enough for me.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Congratulations to these guys, their hard work has paid off and Mr. Rutan was able to prove to a doubt bunch at NASA, Boeing and Lockheed that his vision would indeed work.

Also, these small companies have been able to do things a whole lot cheap and safer than the government stuff. This summer, another record was broken by a group of Amatuer Radio Operators and Amatuer Rocketry people. They put a satellite into a short term orbit for less than $200,000 all voluntary.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

vaporlock
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by vaporlock »

I knew a guy who once got to use the urinal in a restroom right after Burt Rutan. A brush with greatness? Maybe flush with greatness.

Anyhoo, congrats to those folks. They worked very hard. IMHO, the coolness of Spaceship One is overshadowed by the White Knight carrier aircraft....what an awesome looking machine!

Cheers,
Eric