Dale Hears From Davy About the Davy Spillane Low Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Talbert, as I'm sure you know, the convention for reviewing commercial products of all kinds, no matter what they are or who they are made by, is that you give the reviewer a complimentary copy and take your luck with the review. No ifs, buts or maybes. No exceptions.

There is a lot of light-hearted ribbing that goes on here and the more you object to it the worse it gets. People who take themselves to be above a bit of jesting get a hard time of it. This is a very Celtic outlook on life that hasn't been lost or diluted through migration. In fact, in Australia, we have got worse. :D If you are going to have anything to do with Gaels, at home or abroad, get used to it, Sunshine.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dale »

For what it's worth, on the back channels, I'm still working on this issue. It's gotten more than a bit ugly. As is sometimes true of ugly matters, I've made at least a small contribution to the ugliness. For now, let me say that this is the status:

Davy Spillane has asserted flatly to me that he has made and played his own pipes and whistles for 20 or 25 years. He wants people to hear him say that he does not play Overtons, and I presume Chieftains, and has not for some time.

Now two sources have independently told me that that is not so and they have some credibility in asserting that.

I can't account for or resolve the differences. I have an opinion, but it's only that and it's premature for me to share it.

Here, by the way, is text I wrote on the "whistle mysteries"page a few years back:

Another brainteaser, and this time it gets ugly. Davy Spillane, of course, generated huge interest in the low whistle when he played in the band for RIVERDANCE and then the corresponding video of RIVERDANCE sold sixty zillion copies. The video shows nice close-ups of Davy playing a whistle that resembles an Overton or Chieftain. For some time, questions flew around about what low whistles Davy played. Some insisted he made his own. Some believed he purchased Overtons and then modified them extensively. Others believed that he bought Overtons and made relatively minor adjustments.

A few years ago, Davy, whose email from yours truly he's either never seen or never answered, abruptly emailed me to say that somewhere on Chiff & Fipple was an indication that he played Overtons or Chieftains or something and, his email went on to say, the truth is that he makes his own instruments and always had. Cease and desist, yada-yada. In addition, his own website included a whole section about Davy offering for sale his own whistles, which I think he called "D500' or something like that. Should be end of story, right?

Well, maybe it is. But I must point this out: I'm not sure that anyone on the planet has received more whistle related email than I have. In these five-plus years, not ONE PERSON has indicated to me that they have (a) purchased Davy's whistles, (b) played Davy's whistles, or (c) seen one up close enough to describe it.*

Now, there's no reason to believe that Davy is lying about making his instruments. So, I assume that he does and that he has sold whistles to very few players because his touring / recording schedule doesn't allow enough time to make many instruments for others.

*UPDATE May 2004: Musician Talbert St. Claire posted on the message board on May 2, 2004 that he has a Davy Spillane whistle and that Davy tells him they will be in stores in weeks. Standing by. Holding our breath.
I'm no longer sure how much of the above is true.

Stay tuned.

Dale
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Wombat wrote:Talbert, as I'm sure you know, the convention for reviewing commercial products of all kinds, no matter what they are or who they are made by, is that you give the reviewer a complimentary copy and take your luck with the review. No ifs, buts or maybes. No exceptions.

There is a lot of light-hearted ribbing that goes on here and the more you object to it the worse it gets. People who take themselves to be above a bit of jesting get a hard time of it. This is a very Celtic outlook on life that hasn't been lost or diluted through migration. In fact, in Australia, we have got worse. :D If you are going to have anything to do with Gaels, at home or abroad, get used to it, Sunshine.
Of course ye have it worse in Australia, Wombat - what'd y'expect from a country settled by time-served felons? :twisted:

Here in the US, we just got the religious fanatics and get-rich-quick schemers. :D

But ribbing aside, Wombat's giving good advice, Talbert. You've never been other a gentleman in your dealings with me, and I hate to see you at odds with folks, but it's a fairly irreverent bunch on this board. Laugh at yourself, and most will laugh with you - we prod at each other (in a friendly way) all the time. But you'd do better expecting solemn good manners from a shrewdness of apes.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

DCrom wrote:...you'd do better expecting solemn good manners from a shrewdness of apes.
As the shrew in the shrewdness of apes, I'd have to say this is a good post, DCrom. :)

Susan
emmline

Post by emmline »

susnfx wrote: As the shrew in the shrewdness of apes
noooo Susan, I wanna be the shrew....!
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

If you are the shrews, can I be the ape? :D
/Bloomfield
emmline

Post by emmline »

I'm going to have to validate you first.
TomB

Post by TomB »

emmline wrote:I'm going to have to validate you first.

Don't worry Bloomfield, it won't hurt. emmline is an excellent validator.

All the Best,

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

this thread is but a few days old, check out how many already have read it...
for future reference, here are the ingredients to a well-visited thread, a combination of:
DS
Tal
Overton
Dale that gets a bit pissed off (our Dale getting pissed off!!) :o

:D
emmline

Post by emmline »

Interesting point raised by Wombat. About this sort of joshing being a gael tradition. And something I should innately know being primarily 50/50 Scot/Anglo, but I just took it to be a personality thing.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

emmline wrote:Interesting point raised by Wombat. About this sort of joshing being a gael tradition. And something I should innately know being primarily 50/50 Scot/Anglo, but I just took it to be a personality thing.
It isn't just a Gaelic thing, Emm. This is pretty much how my wife's family operates. And (as she likes to remind me from time to time) while I'm the typical American ethnic mix, she is 100% Chinese.

I concede the point, but don't let her use "pure" Chinese as a description - she's been irrevocably corrupted by years of marriage to me. :D

Believe me, the friendly slagging that goes on around this board is pretty mild stuff to some of the zingers I've heard her trade with her siblings. :o
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Ok trying to be the mediator and some of you may want to kick me to the curve, but after reading every posting regarding this thread I have applied my scientific and my analytical abilities to come to the following conclusion.

Everyone has an opinion, everyone has the right to express that opinion, but no one has the right to force thier opinion on anyone.

In addition, I have only heard of Davy from River dance, his ability as a musician was excellent. I know talbert by his musical talent also and consider him a person of great knowledge when it comes to the Lows. Phil along with other craftsman of Low whistles have more talent in their little finger then I will ever have. They also have forgotten more about low whistles then most of us will ever know.

In addition to my addition: Dale Wisely for the little time I have conversed via email on on C & F has been nothing but a gentleman and also a man of great knowledge to low whistles and whistles in general.
I appreciate him very much as a whistler.

In conclusion, well I have no conclusion...except for a borrowed quote, "Can't we all just get along".

Thanks you and good night......Elvis has left the building.......Now everyone smile and have a fantastic day!
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

emmline wrote:noooo Susan, I wanna be the shrew....!
Oh, shrew you.

And I believe in your case, Bloo, that would be the lewdness of apes.

;) to everybody

Susan
emmline

Post by emmline »

susnfx wrote:
Oh, shrew you.
Well, truth is, the most experience I have with shrews is that they're usually lying dead on their backs on my front porch. I'll concede. Not sure I want to do that anyway.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

susnfx wrote:
Oh, shrew you.

And I believe in your case, Bloo, that would be the lewdness of apes.
Beshrew me!

But wouldn't that last be in Amar's case? :twisted: