Brand spanking new aspirant tin whistle player needs HELP!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Shibaki

Brand spanking new aspirant tin whistle player needs HELP!

Post by Shibaki »

Hello there! Pardon me if i'm not posting in the proper section here. I am looking to take up playing the tin whistle but don't have any idea where to begin. I don't know that i will enjoy playing one (think i will though) so don't want to spend over $30 buying my first, which doesn't look like it will be a problem. But what type of whistle to buy?

I think i would like something made of metal, but brass or tin, or what else? And what key? What is a good brand? I am going to be doing some backpacking travel in the near future, so i want a durable flute (one that won't mistakenly get bent in my backpack...

Also, what is a good book and cd to buy to teach me some nice jammin irish songs? I also like beautiful slow songs as well! Definitely in the celtic range though.

I am open to suggestions and really grateful for anyone's feedback on this.

Jeff
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

OK...first things first: Welcome to the insane world of the whistle-addicted. You don't know it yet, I'm sure, but you're about to be assimilated :lol:

OK...now down to business. As far as what key to get for your first whistle, D is probably your best bet. Most Irish music can easily be played in D, G or their relative minors, all of which are playable on a D whistle. From a playing by yourself standpoint it doesn't matter too much, as the fingerings are the same regardless of the key, but if you want to play with recordings or, ultimately, with other musicians, a D is going to be the most useful to you.

There are likely to be as many recommendations out there for first whistles as there are whistlers. The nice thing about this instrument is its cost, which allows you to buy a couple. What I'd recommend is getting a couple of different types...say a Clarke original (conical bore, wooden fipple block) and a Generation or Feadog (cylindrical bore, plastic fipple head), so YOU can decide which you like best. The choice between brass and nickel-plated is less important...more a matter of esthetics than anything else.

If you can only get one to start, a Clarke SweeTone can be a very good bet. Generation also makes nice whistles. Both are widely available.

As far as starter books go, I haven't found a better one than Bill Ochs' little book, which he wrote for Clarkes (but which works just fine for any D whistle). Sometimes you can still get it packaged WITH a Clarke original, which is a nice deal. If you start on the first page and work your way through the book, you'll have a good, solid grasp of the tin whistle by the time you're done. You can often find this book in local music stores, but here's a description of it at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846

Good luck, and happy whistling!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Oh! That kind of aspirant. I thought maybe you were having windway clogging issues. :)
Reasonable person
Walden
dwinterfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Brand spanking new aspirant tin whistle player needs HEL

Post by dwinterfield »

Shibaki wrote:so i want a durable flute (one that won't mistakenly get bent in my backpack...
Jeff

Trying to clarify things for you - "whistles" and "flutes" are different instruments. A whistle is a type of flute, however, the word flute referrs to an instrument with a hole, into which you blow, on the side. You blow into one end of the whistle. Others on this site can explain the difference more elegantly that I.

I think you're looking for a whistle and I'd second redwolf's advice.

I started almost a year ago and it's great fun.
Hoed

Re: Brand spanking new aspirant tin whistle player needs HEL

Post by Hoed »

Shibaki wrote:Hello there! Pardon me if i'm not posting in the proper section here.
You're probably send over here from the flute section... that'd explain the introduction :) But welcome to the lovely world over whistling. This place sure can provide you with enough... or even far too much information you ever need.

I'm certainly no expert so take my advice with a grain of salt. First of all, the starting equipment: I'd recommend a whistle in the key of D (as mentioned before). And a Clarke Sweetone would be a very fine whistle to start with in my opinion. An overview of common brands of inexpensive whistles can be found here: http://www.chiffandfipple.com/inexp.html. Try to find one in your local area, because this is a very popular brand in music shops that aren't specialized in Irish music (Look for the couter :)). If you can't find one (or any other kind of whistle to your preference), try one of the online shops: http://www.chiffandfipple.com/Buying.html
"Ken sent me"
- Larry Laffer
rodfish

Post by rodfish »

Hello there Shibaki, and welcome.

I'm a relatively new player myself so I know what it's like to try to decide which whistle to buy. :boggle: I would agree wholeheartedly with Redwolf's recommendations, with one small difference.

I would recommend purchasing a Jerry Freeman "tweaked" Sweetone as your first whistle. It's easy to get a "manufactured" whistle that can be a bit disappointing in tone and response for the new player, but Jerry tweaks the Sweetone so that it becomes a very fine whistle. :) (They can be found on Ebay.)

My first whistle was a "tweaked" Sweetone and I enjoyed it so much, I've been buying whistles ever since. (As I think most whistle players are apt to do. :roll: )

Good whistling!

Rod
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."
vomitbunny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by vomitbunny »

A lot of people, a good percentage here including myself, started on a clarke original. Ya know, you can get a tweaked version of one of those for not too much money. About 24 bucks.
A lot can be said for a well tweaked clark original. Besides it seems to be a rite of passage here.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Shibaki

Post by Shibaki »

Whistle, not flute, Whistle, not flute... got it! alright, initiation has begun... great tips all of this and so very helpful. time to do the looking, go get one, and become addicted :party:

friendly message board this is, unlike others i've been on :)
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Shibaki wrote: friendly message board this is, unlike others i've been on :)
We fooled him so far, folks! Just wait 'til he's been here a while :lol:

Seriously, this really is a friendly board about 98% of the time. Welcome.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

Well, I'm a huge fan of the Oak D (and yes...get a D)...btw, Oak is the brand name, it's not made out of Oak. It sounds lovely, looks nice (silver with a black head) and doesn't take a heck of a lot of air to play, which might be especially nice for someone who's not played a wind instrument before (assuming you're new to the whole wind thng, but could be wrong there!).

As someone else mentioned, each whistler is bound to have his/her preference which is bound to differ from many others' preferences. I tried a Clake and didn't like it (haven't tried the tweaked one though)...I'm not a big fan of the ones with the wooden fipple block. I like Generations (once had a high G, but lost that to the ex somewhere along the line) and I think their Bb sounds lovely (have never played their D, though I've liked the others I've played by them). Waltons are decent enough, but I still don't like any of them as much as my trusty Oak!

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I recommend you go to a local music shop and buy whatever they have in the way of pennywhistles. Names to look for are Feadog, Generation, Clare, Waltons, Oak, and Sweetone. These are often found in local music shops. They will be $10.00 or less. Learn to play one of these and check in here from time to time. You will soon be addicted and will buy dozens more. A good book is the "The Clarke Tin Whistle a Handbook by Bill Ochs". It can be purchased from the Whistle Shop and other places. A link to the Whistle Shop is found on the main part of this board.

Welcome to C&F a group of nearly sane people who like this little musical piece of tubing. Before long people here will be suggesting whistles selling for more than $200.00. The worst part of that is you will really want them very badly.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

Hey! Who you calling insane? I resemble that remark!

~Crysania (who really really really wants a Thin Weasel)
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

Recently someone asked what was your easiest whistle to play. Quite a few people answered Dixon. I have maybe a half dozen whistles and also reach for the Dixon most of the time. Unlike most whistles it's made of plastic, although there are a few other makers that use this material. The sound is probably more like wood than the metal whistles so maybe that's why I like it; it's a slightly softer sound. Also, as mentioned it's easy to play. You can get a nontunable D for under $20. at the whistle shop online which also is a good place to locate some of the other whistles people have mentioned such as the Jerry Freeman tweaked Sweetone. Also the book and cd by Bill Ochs (through amazon for $12.50) is great, as already mentioned. -mike
Jack

Post by Jack »

Welcome. Post often. Welcome.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

And another word of encouragement - don't get discouraged!

We all have days when the music just flows, and other days when it seems that we can't put a finger right. Over time, with practice, the good days come more and the bad less, but I've still to reach the level when the bad days vanish entirely.

Often enough, the next day after a truly horrid practice session may be wonderfully good (at least by comparison :D ) so don't let the occasional bad day get you down.