Dale Hears From Davy About the Davy Spillane Low Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I believe later studies showed no relation between Alzheimer's and aluminum.

Going by memory here, but didn't they figure out the aluminum was actually accidentally introduced into the tissue samples in the laboratory?

--James
glauber

Post by glauber »

I wouldn't want to be in any whistle tour that would accept me as a member! (Chiff Twain)

Sour grapes! (Aesop's fox)
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

sturob wrote:Is it hoobyjooby about "flautist's chin" or some other wackiness, or is it the whole connection to Alzheimer's? (The health problems with aluminum.)

You remember back in the . . . (some decade) . . . it was thought that Alzheimer's was related to cooking in aluminum pots. I don't know if the connection has borne out, but that's a traditional teaching.

Stuart
Check out this link:

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/valentin.htm

The main text is not directly related to the comment, but at the bottom there is a link that is.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I confess to having the most interesting mixed feelings about the apparent lack of enthusiasm for the Spillane whistle tour idea. I think the years of speculation and waiting have not resulted in the whistle being "long-anticipated" so much as "long-talked-about-in-the-abstract."

Did anybody follow what I just wrote enough to explain to me what I mean?

Thanks
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I can, I think, if someone can e'spillane it to me! But you aren't Lucy are you :D

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

I'm confused. Did DS ever make a whistle? The guy says:

"This latest low whistle replaces previous models and incorporates what Davy finds are the best attributes of the "all metal type" low whistle and the stability of Davys tunable plastic mouthpiece/hand made metal body
combination." .... (italics added)

Did I miss something? Whatever the case, I don't want to be on the tour. I've lost all interest. Wait, that infers that I at one time had some interest and I never did.... Oh well. Whatever.

Susan
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

DaleWisely wrote:I confess to having the most interesting mixed feelings about the apparent lack of enthusiasm for the Spillane whistle tour idea.
Spillane whistle? <yawn> :sleep:

Eh, what? Sorry, did I nod off?
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

At that price why bother? For a lot less money you can buy an Overton or an Alba, not only cheaper but a better whistle. For even less money you can buy a passle of other very good low Ds. Why bother? I for one would not take part in the purchase of an $80.00 whistle that sells for $250.00. Just my opinion which counts for little in the greater scheme of things.

BTW this may be a whistle that isn't included in the statement in my signature line.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Personally, I'd be stoked to give it a whirl...but despite all the naysayers, I'm sure you can find enough folks who can execute a decent roll.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

emmline wrote:Personally, I'd be stoked to give it a whirl...but despite all the naysayers, I'm sure you can find enough folks who can execute a decent roll.
I'll execute any decent roll on sight. Only indecent rolls tolerated around here.
/Bloomfield
emmline

Post by emmline »

Bloomfield wrote: Only indecent rolls tolerated around here.
reminds me of some "special" gingerbread people they used to sell at a bakery in Annapolis...
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

emmline wrote:
Bloomfield wrote: Only indecent rolls tolerated around here.
reminds me of some "special" gingerbread people they used to sell at a bakery in Annapolis...
There's a bakery in San Francisco's Chinatown that specializes in "X-rated" fortune cookies.

My wife tried hard to convince me this was an obviously non-Chinese aberration, since the owners were (AIR) second or third generation Chinese Americans, and hence corrupted by American culture. :D

I told her "You say that like it's a bad thing". She hit me. But she was laughing when she did it. :twisted:
Dale
The Landlord

Re: Interesting!

Post by Dale »

Phil Hardy wrote:The text from Davys workshop manager must be some kind of promotional ploy to put people off buying all alloy whistle and making people think that there is some kind of problem (potentially) with them.
This to me is very strange as Davy has used an Overton for over 20 years,the same one I might add.I did not notice his teeth being damaged in any way,nor any of the miriad players that I know that have used Overtons,Albas and Chieftains
I have to see this as mis-information,not a nice way to launch a new product.
Buy the way,it's not a good idea to grip the whistle with teeth,it only damages the whistle and may wear your teeth out.

Phil.
Phil's statement notwithstanding, I feel obliged to note that two out of three of the times I have gotten email from Davy Spillane, he has asserted that he has made his own pipes & whistles for 25 years. He asserts this strongly. And as recently as, oh, today.

Dale
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

"staining of lips and teeth"????

could this be the mark of a TRUE MASTER WHISTLER?
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Bloomfield

Re: Interesting!

Post by Bloomfield »

DaleWisely wrote:
Phil Hardy wrote:The text from Davys workshop manager must be some kind of promotional ploy to put people off buying all alloy whistle and making people think that there is some kind of problem (potentially) with them.
This to me is very strange as Davy has used an Overton for over 20 years,the same one I might add.I did not notice his teeth being damaged in any way,nor any of the miriad players that I know that have used Overtons,Albas and Chieftains
I have to see this as mis-information,not a nice way to launch a new product.
Buy the way,it's not a good idea to grip the whistle with teeth,it only damages the whistle and may wear your teeth out.

Phil.
Phil's statement notwithstanding, I feel obliged to note that two out of three of the times I have gotten email from Davy Spillane, he has asserted that he has made his own pipes & whistles for 25 years. He asserts this strongly. And as recently as, oh, today.

Dale
I don't doubt for a minute that Spillane has made whistles (I am also inclined to think that he has been playing an Overton). I remember talking to Joe & Antoinette McKenna. We were talking about low whistles (I had just bought McKenna's Low Whistles CD), and Joe told me that he used ot build his own low whistles, getting tubing and so forth. "We all did it," he said, meaning musicians at the time in the 70s and 80s.
/Bloomfield