Poll: What will the "October Surprise" be?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

What will the "October Surprise" be?

Capturing Osama bin Laden
29%
A major terrorist attack in the U.S. or Europe
20%
Publicly intercepting a major terrorist attack (on film, if possible)
11%
Another anthrax scare
No votes
Major bellicose rhetoric against or by either Iran or North Korea
9%
Discovery of WMD in Iraq
3%
Oil prices drop significantly in the next few weeks
11%
Credible evidence of vote-rigging in swing states by either party
17%

Total votes: 35

spittin_in_the_wind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Poll: What will the "October Surprise" be?

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

I'm sorry, I just can't contain myself. It's just that I really think something could be pulled out in October that has the potential to strongly influence the election. Here is my short list of possibilities. Feel free to add any options! (And for Dale's sake, let's keep it civil)

Robin
Random notes

Post by Random notes »

Personally, I'm hoping for a November surprise - an honest election with no interference from the courts or the First Brother.

Roger
Non omnes qui habemt citharam sunt citharoedi
meemtp

Post by meemtp »

I'd vote for any 3, take your pick. Although, I'd say anything related to terrorism is most likely since that seems to be the only issue our Axis of Evil seems to deem of any importance.[/i]
Corin
Jack

Post by Jack »

I suspect and fear we may be attacked a few days before the election. However, unlike in Spain, unless it is something the President clearly could have prevented, it will help re-elect George W. Bush.
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

The reason I thought about this thread was because of this article:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/01/au/index.html
BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

I chose the last one, evidenced by the number of deceased voters who show up at the polls voting for either party! :devil:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

It looks like the cats are planning something: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/S ... percat.jpg
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Re: Poll: What will the "October Surprise" be?

Post by Walden »

spittin_in_the_wind wrote:I'm sorry, I just can't contain myself. It's just that I really think something could be pulled out in October that has the potential to strongly influence the election. Here is my short list of possibilities. Feel free to add any options! (And for Dale's sake, let's keep it civil)

Robin
Accusations of things that can't have happened, as in the future. It is idle talk.
Reasonable person
Walden
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Well, the last one wouldn't even be a surprise. In 2000 there was plenty of credible evidence that the dems were stepping well over the line in a number of swing states. I believe it was Wisconsin where they were caught bribing winos to vote by promising them cigarettes. In Missouri they got a judge to force several polling places (all in traditionally democratic neighborhoods) to stay open hours past the time that all polls were required by Missouri law to be closed - while democrats scurried around in vans scouring for stray votes.

In the congressional election in Missouri the democratic candidate died in a private plane crash a few weeks before the election - they then illegally allowed his wife to run in his place (it was well past the deadline for candidates to file) and the republican candidate did not even contest it, though he had every right to.

Of course, the dems and the liberal media drew attention away from these documented irregularities and put all the attention on a few idiots in Florida who had been "tricked" because they couldn't figure out a ballot system that had been used in most locations for decades!

Frankly, thanks to Al Gore it doesn't matter who is elected this year - approximately 50% of the population is going to be firmly convinced that the elections were rigged. This is especially true since the liberal shenanigans in Florida convinced so many districts to convert to electronic voting machines that do not make a permanent, recountable, provable record of the vote.

The only possible good that can come of this years election is that there will again be a split between the popular and electoral college votes - maybe that will bring enough of a reaction that the electoral college will be abolished and thereafter the country, instead of a handful of swing states, will elect the president.
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

I personaly believe the October surprise just may be Vanna getting another made for TV movie.At least I'm hoping.
happyturkeyman

Re: Poll: What will the "October Surprise" be?

Post by happyturkeyman »

President Bush will announce that we will celebrate Haloween for two days in a row!

He's such a cool guy.
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

So many possibilities, it was hard to decide! But I voted for Osama. Many people I know have brought this up and seem to think this is the most likely.

All I have to say is I am honestly, deeply, seriously terrified that the current president will be re-elected. I am frightened for us and for the world.
~Sara S.~
"We don't build statues to worship the exceptional life; we build them to remind ourselves what is possible in our own." - unknown
TomB

Post by TomB »

OutOfBreath wrote:Frankly, thanks to Al Gore it doesn't matter who is elected this year - approximately 50% of the population is going to be firmly convinced that the elections were rigged. This is especially true since the liberal shenanigans in Florida convinced so many districts to convert to electronic voting machines that do not make a permanent, recountable, provable record of the vote.

The only possible good that can come of this years election is that there will again be a split between the popular and electoral college votes - maybe that will bring enough of a reaction that the electoral college will be abolished and thereafter the country, instead of a handful of swing states, will elect the president.
Uhh, of course the running about in Florida trying to stop Democrats from voting/registering can't have anything to do with the Republicans, right? :roll:

Here's a link. After this, I won't post here, but will check the Political Thread for any thoughts/responses.

http://www.bradleyreport.net/republican ... aVoter.htm

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Oc-tober is Ocarina Month.* Tell your friends and neighbors. Become civic-minded and join your local ocarina orchestra (some ocarina orchestras may include tinwhistles).

Another great way to observe Ocarina Month is to help in organizing an Oc-toberfest! Hollow out a pumpkin, and make a temporary great-bass ocarina (and use the pulp for pies :party: ). Invite the Oscar Mayer vendor to sell sausages and hand out the Oscar Mayer plastic ocarinas!

Bring your buddies who play tinwhistle, uilleann pipes, flute, fiddle, and such, and play a few rounds of Glen Miller's classic tune, Sweet Potato Piper.

*As proclaimed on the Web site Ocarina Land.
Reasonable person
Walden
glauber

Post by glauber »

:lol:
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--