Leo Rowesome's Regulator Playing

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Leo Rowesome's Regulator Playing

Post by ausdag »

Hi all,

I've been listening to Leo Rowsome a lot lately and can't help but be increasingly enraptured by his regulator playing. At first it seemed so overpowering and monotonous, but after the 4th anf 5th time of listening to the CD I'm beginning to understand the complexity of what he is doing.

I played a few tracks to a friend who has a long history playing Jazz, Funk and who is also very well acquianted with playing Brazillian rhythms. It was the very first time he'd heard Leo Rowsome and he was absolutely gob-smacked (ie, dumb-founded, ie, blown away, ie EXTREMELY impressed) by the regulator playing.

The phrasing and syncopation was what blew him away. He then explained it to me in terms of laying 6/8 rythms over 4/4 timing etc in the way he learned to understand Brazilian rhythm. That all went straight over my head, but the point is, there's much more to Leo Rowsome's reg playing than first meets the eyes (ears)

CHeers,

DavidG
Rick

Re: Leo Rowesome's Regulator Playing

Post by Rick »

ausdag wrote: there's much more to Leo Rowsome's reg playing than first meets the eyes (ears)
DavidG
Like how he used only one key on one reg most of the time and saved a lot of air that way? :wink: :D
glands

Post by glands »

Someone who wants a pretty nurse must be patient.
Or...a doctor. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Royce

Post by Royce »

Rick wrote:
ausdag wrote: there's much more to Leo Rowsome's reg playing than first meets the eyes (ears)
DavidG
Like how he used only one key on one reg most of the time and saved a lot of air that way? :wink: :D
You know, I got kicked off this one mailing list once for saying stuff like that.

Royce
Rick

Post by Rick »

Like the list i quit because it was filled (imho) with people that know everything better than the other guy and you'd get burnt for stating your opinion on the pipes?
BTW what was your point?
Leo's playing gets you kicked off an email list? :lol:
Royce

Post by Royce »

Rick wrote:Like the list i quit because it was filled (imho) with people that know everything better than the other guy and you'd get burnt for stating your opinion on the pipes?
BTW what was your point?
Leo's playing gets you kicked off an email list? :lol:
The emperor is naked.

Royce
Harry
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Harry »

Royce wrote: You know, I got kicked off this one mailing list once for saying stuff like that.

Royce
My hero. I'm just listening to the clips of your playing on your website to remind myself of just how right you are. :wink: (because I know you like emoticons).

Still worried,

Harry.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Rick wrote:
DavidG

Really :-? I hadn't noticed on account of the CD I was listening to seemed to have him making quite full use of the entire 'keyboard', if you will. My mate's jaw dropped on the occasions that an augmented chord was dropped in. My response was something akin to...'Oh..yeah...you can do that on regulators".

Anyway...I'd better say no more. I hadn't realised making mention of Leo Rowesome was such a faux pas on this list - one which would start a flame war. :wink:
j dasinger

Post by j dasinger »

Speak on friend. Any discussion of the music is welcome at least to me. I honestly have no idea what those others are on about anyway. Don't bother about Royce. He's been kicked off of more mailing lists than the rest of us ever will. :lol: In short, continue any and all musical discussions. It will be a nice change of pace for these boards.
james
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Thanks James,

I'm kind of wondering what it's all about myself. :D

Anyway - back to the point of original discussion. I don't have any regulators myself, even after ten or so years of piping - too expensive. I may never even get to see the shores of Ireland :cry: :D So all I can do is sit and listen in awe at how a piper such as Mr Rowesome and others mangage to manipulate their regs so well with such rhythm - and mostly in time too :D

Coming to like Leo Rowsome's playing, for me, was the same as coming to like Bob Dylan - first time sounded bloody aweful; but, the more I listened the more it grew on me and now I can't stop.

As a side note -
Dicky Deegan once told me in a pub here in Brisbane regarding listening to the master pipers such as Ennis etc. He said to listen to the piping, don't concern yourself with whether or not it's out of time or out of tune, just listen for what you can get out of the playing itself. Or words to that effect.

I did - with Ennis, Rowesome and now with every piper I listen to - even beginners. A whole new world of appreciation has opened up.
Cheers,

DavidG
Harry

Post by Harry »

ausdag wrote:
I did - with Ennis, Rowesome and now with every piper I listen to - even beginners. A whole new world of appreciation has opened up.
Cheers,

DavidG
Words of wisdom at last. *Tips hat*.

Regards,

Harry.
Royce

Post by Royce »

ausdag wrote:Thanks James,

Coming to like Leo Rowsome's playing, for me, was the same as coming to like Bob Dylan - first time sounded bloody aweful; but, the more I listened the more it grew on me and now I can't stop.

As a side note -
Dicky Deegan once told me in a pub here in Brisbane regarding listening to the master pipers such as Ennis etc. He said to listen to the piping, don't concern yourself with whether or not it's out of time or out of tune, just listen for what you can get out of the playing itself. Or words to that effect.

DavidG
Yes, and then there's still a few of us who suggest that playing in time and in tune are the two primary qualifications of a "musician" and still for instance, find most of what Bob Dylan did just plain annoying no matter how many times we are bombarded with it's grating "brilliance."

Royce
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Yes, and then there's still a few of us who suggest that playing in time and in tune are the two primary qualifications of a "musician" and still for instance, find most of what Bob Dylan did just plain annoying no matter how many times we are bombarded with it's grating "brilliance."
Having been a slide, dobro, and blues musician for most of my life my opinion is that playing in tune and in time is two of the primary qualifications of a robot. As a slide player, I'm constanty playing inbetween the notes and as a blues and folk singer I'm constantly singing around the beat, like most jazz musicians. For me Ennis outside of time constraints is what gives its great mystery and power. And personally I've always loved Dylan's singing.
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

For me there are two pieces of piping that stand out as sheer mastery at its highest level. The first is Leo Rowsome playing the "Castles of Dromore".
Its not that difficult to do, a fair dollop of hand-eye co-ordination and you're away. But he makes it sound so easy and effortless. Just beautiful!!
the second is Rowsome, again, playing "The Independence Hornpipe".
Now thats HARD! The perfect vamping throughout the second part is unbelieveable! The timing is pristene and the choice is chords is great.
It really is amazing to have that kind of control over an instrument that can be tempermental at the best of times.
Tommy
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

tompipes wrote:For me there are two pieces of piping that stand out as sheer mastery at its highest level. The first is Leo Rowsome playing the "Castles of Dromore"..
...snip...

the second is Rowsome, again, playing "The Independence Hornpipe".
..... snip....Tommy
Add to that his set "Jenny's Wedding/Lord MacDonald" - particularly the C part of Lord MacDonald.

On timing and in-tune-ness - my most depressing times playing in my band were when we employed finicky (spelling?) fiddle players who could do nothing but harp on about my bottom D or my top e or how I like to play ahead of the beat whereas I should be, if not ON the beat, behind the beat. We told him where to go only to employ another fiddle player who was no better. Granted, he new the tunes, and how to command a mean fiddle but he was NO MUSICIAN. There's far more to being a musician than merely mechanical ability. I agree with Bill - robots can do that.

Cheers,

DavidG