Whistles with good intonation under 60 bucks

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Flywhistler
antispam: No

Whistles with good intonation under 60 bucks

Post by Flywhistler »

Although I am familiar with most brands of whistles under sixty dollars, I haven't played all of them. I'm interested in trying to get a consensus from others who have played any of these whistles as to which ones they feel play well in tune. I know Susatos do; I have a number of those. I'm particularly interested in high D whistles.
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Hoover Brass Whitecap: $45

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Under $60.....

Metal

Syn Whistles

You can get a whole set of great playing, well crafted whistles for under $60.

PVC

Hoover

Have not looked at his price list recently, but he makes decent whistle too.

It would certainly help if you were a little more descriptive of what you meant by good intonation.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Dixons are pretty good too.
I have a Serpent Sweet Polly that plays well in tune also.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I think you can get a Water Weasel for around that price, and they're terrific.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Dixons can be good, but they can also be inconsistent.

Feadóg bodies with Whitecap heads are really good as far as intonation is concerned.

My Walton's Cs are remarkably precise as well. They cost under $10 each.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

I'll second the recommendations for Syn (fairly pure), Serpent Sweet Polly (fairly breathy), and the Walton's C (slightly breathy).

I like my Dixons. They do have a reputation for occasional issues, but by repute Tony Dixon is very good about replacing problem whistles. And the ones I own are nice whistles.

Oaks and Feadogs have a reputation for good intonation, too.
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

O'Briain Improved D.
An old battered tarnished Burke Wide Bore D.
jonharl

Post by jonharl »

Nobody's mentioned a Freeman Tweaked Generation. I like mine alot, I highly recommend them.. That and a Clare are all I've got left after the sale. If you could spend $85 a Humphrey Narrow Bore or a John Sindt would be some of the best whistles you can buy in a High D. Good Luck.
Flywhistler

Post by Flywhistler »

Steven:

By good intonation I'm referring to how in tune the notes of the whistle are relative to each other.
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

DCrom wrote:I like my Dixons. They do have a reputation for occasional issues, but by repute Tony Dixon is very good about replacing problem whistles.
Hmm. Mine is so-o-o out of tune with itself. What does it cost to ship a whistle to the UK? Has anyone here ever actually sent one back to Tony from the States?

Most of my relatively inexpensive half-inch-diameter whistles (including the Jerry-tweaked Generation, self-tweaked Oak, Whitecap Oak, and Whitecap Feadog) are pretty well in tune with themselves, but none have a perfect C-natural with OXXOOO fingering. However, the same is true of my more expensive narrow-bores (Burke and Sindt). As a result, I half-hole C-nat whenever I can.

I'm beginning to think that this is just a characteristic of narrow-bore whistles. Are there any well-known exceptions?
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Jack

Post by Jack »

Darwin wrote:Hmm. Mine is so-o-o out of tune with itself. What does it cost to ship a whistle to the UK? Has anyone here ever actually sent one back to Tony from the States?
I had a Dixon whistle that was humdrum in the upper octave. It was harder to play, so I emailed Tony Dixon and told him, and he sent me another one across the Atlantic, and refused to take any money for the shipping. He is an impeccably nice human.
happyturkeyman

Post by happyturkeyman »

Darwin wrote:
DCrom wrote:I like my Dixons. They do have a reputation for occasional issues, but by repute Tony Dixon is very good about replacing problem whistles.
Hmm. Mine is so-o-o out of tune with itself. What does it cost to ship a whistle to the UK? Has anyone here ever actually sent one back to Tony from the States?

Most of my relatively inexpensive half-inch-diameter whistles (including the Jerry-tweaked Generation, self-tweaked Oak, Whitecap Oak, and Whitecap Feadog) are pretty well in tune with themselves, but none have a perfect C-natural with OXXOOO fingering. However, the same is true of my more expensive narrow-bores (Burke and Sindt). As a result, I half-hole C-nat whenever I can.

I'm beginning to think that this is just a characteristic of narrow-bore whistles. Are there any well-known exceptions?
I remember someone smart (was it Jerry? Bingamon? Syn?) saying that thin-walled cyllindrical whistles are usually sharp on the c nat (or out of tune elsewhere). This seems to be what I have observed, too, with my thicker-walled O'Brien and Jubilee Practice whistle being better on the cnat than my Gen's or my jubilee low metal.
We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance and if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I'm quite pleased with both my O'Brien and my Susato.

edited for idiot spelling and typing errors... sigh
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
eskin

Post by eskin »

I'd suggest the O'Brien as well.