OT - Dirty Laundry... got any?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Dana
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dana »

My dirty laundry is that I play the Boehm flute. (I also like opera). :o

Dana
eilam

Post by eilam »

Man ! Dana, this is the second time in one thread that you are unhelpful to me!!!!!!!!
my laundry basket is piling up!! :lol:
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Casey Burns wrote:I would much rather play the Galician bagpipes - and do almost every day! I have a lovely set by the elder Seivane, now retired, that is my favorite instrument to play.
Which you do very well, Casey. I enjoyed your demo while visiting your workshop last spring.

More dirty laundry from me. Boxwood flutes (in general)... what's all the fuss? I really don't get it. Though I've puffed on some nice ones (Olwell, Burns) I don't undertsand what the hype is. Boxwood flutes don't look like flutes. They look like recorders or table legs.

Cheers,
Aaron
Dana

Post by Dana »

eilam wrote:Man ! Dana, this is the second time in one thread that you are unhelpful to me!!!!!!!!
my laundry basket is piling up!! :lol:
Say what? :party:

Dana
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

all content removed because KIA's an idiot
Last edited by RudallRose on Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norseman

Post by norseman »

AaronMalcomb wrote: They look like recorders or table legs.
There's a difference? :D

Bob
Failure is NOT an option - it comes bundled with the software.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

AaronMalcomb wrote:Boxwood flutes (in general)... what's all the fuss?
I can say, in all honesty, that my love for boxwood has nothing to do with anything anyone has said about it. My favorite thing about it is the smell of good boxwood...it's like cookie dough. Secondly, it is lighter in weight (and, thus, is more comfortable to play) than blackwood. It's golden color oozes warmth. Admittedly, not all boxwood is wonderful and lovable. Some seems kind of dull and maple-like, but the good stuff is alive and warm to me is a way that other woods are not.
~JessieD
wolvy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by wolvy »

more confessions....

I have been known to insert a french fry (chipie) into the end of my flute and blow it out like a dart gun at other players at our local session.

I also combined a "pit-tuba" with my Uilleann pipe bag and bellows to provide constant "pit" music at Lark Camp one year.

www.pittuba.com
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

AaronMalcomb wrote:More dirty laundry from me. Boxwood flutes (in general)... what's all the fuss? I really don't get it. Though I've puffed on some nice ones (Olwell, Burns) I don't undertsand what the hype is. Boxwood flutes don't look like flutes. They look like recorders or table legs.
Hah! Blackwood flutes don't look like wooden flutes, they look like plastic.

The boxwood thing is purely a matter of taste. I like the mellow warmth of the sound and the light weight. I don't think it's better, I just like it. I don't like the weight of blackwood, nor the kind of harsh darkness of the sound. I find that cocobolo is a nice compromise; it's a little lighter and a bit more exciting sounding than boxwood.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
artsohio
Location: Far enough north to get the new "Dr. Who" on the CBC!

Post by artsohio »

wolvy wrote:more confessions....

I have been known to insert a french fry (chipie) into the end of my flute and blow it out like a dart gun at other players at our local session.

Boys :roll:
"Colors changing with the keys, uneven timbre, even defects in intonation were elements of instrumental playing... Lover's eyes change into virtues the beloved's defects."

-Michel Debost, "The Simple Flute"
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

... and when you take the headjoint off a Burke tinwhistle and flutter-tongue while blowing real hard? A police whistle, I swear. Gets the old folks every time. :devil:

Wolvy, I think an audio clip of the pit-tuba in action is in order.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

If a boxwood Olwell can't convince me I don't see where anything short of DM's Rudall would. And even if the Rudall did change my mind (which I may just take you up on that offer next time I make it to Denver) a cocus or blackwood Rudall would probably turn me back around.

Just remember that my tastes brought me to take up the GHB long before I considered the flute. So lightness and a mellow sound won't be persuading factors.

Cheers,
Aaron
andrew

Post by andrew »

Perhaps Mr Malcomb would be so kind as to tell us more about blackwood Rudalls.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I was actually speaking more about boxwood than Rudalls, Andrew. Since I'm not all that smitten with boxwood I was saying that if I tried a boxwood Rudall I would probably only like it because it was a Rudall and not because it was boxwood.

Cheers,
Aaron
Leonard

Post by Leonard »

My Dirty Laundry is about the fact that wooden flute is hard to play in tune. You have PLAY wooden flutes in tune cause it's never in tune if you play all the notes the same way...

Well, I considere it's farely impossible to change your embouchure for a single note (say a too flat F sharp) within a reel played fast...so you have to get used to the fact that when you play fast, you're never completly in tune.

Maybe I'm a bit capricious, but I can hear when a note is out of tune even withing a fast tune. And I think it's sad.

If the C nat is in tune, the C sharp is not, so the inverse. That's what I heard on every flutes I tried yet...

But wooden flute still got the prettiest sound of all instruments in this world so I do my laundry and I go with it!