Where would you go to live and work in the UK?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Scotland
43%
England
32%
Wales
11%
Northern Ireland
14%

Total votes: 37

moxy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by moxy »

I'm still waiting to find out if a UK Visa would permit me to live and work outside the UK (but within the EU)...

However, I'm really curious to know what you think of where you live in the UK - or if you don't live in the UK but have visited, what did you think of the places in the UK that you've seen?

To be a little more specific, I don't particularly like large cities, like London. I'm told I'd like Edinburgh. I would like somewhere affordable, where there's work available, and where life can be interesting, even if it's not very hectic.

Any suggestions?
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

I think my ancestral genetics remembered the Scottish Highlands, and I loved it. Though frankly, I've grown less cold-tolerant, so I don't know anymore.
Maybe Edinburgh, but, unlike you, I think I could be very happy in London if I could afford it.
moxy

Post by moxy »

emmline wrote:I think I could be very happy in London if I could afford it.
I've seen elsewhere that the price of housing dropped in the last year or two, I think. But still, my roommate also says you need to be making in the order of 40-50k (pounds) per year to make ends meet - is it really that expensive??
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

i hardly need to mention what i picked..
emmline

Post by emmline »

Can someone convert that...I think it's around 60 -80K US$?
(not a starter salary for most fields.)
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

emmline wrote:Can someone convert that...I think it's around 60 -80K US$?
(not a starter salary for most fields.)
Todays exchange rate is One British Pound to 1.81 US Dollars,

which works out about 72 - 90K US$.

London is one of the most expensive cities in the world and property prices are beyond credibility.

Things get cheaper the further north you go.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Well, I've lived and worked in many countries around the world, and quite frankly I was always embarrassed whenever a local therein announced happily "I'm going to visit London soon!" It's okay for a day out, or maybe a weekend. Can't believe how much they charge for a pint there...last time I was there I got bugger-all change from 3 groats.

They'd have to pay me a boatload more than 50k p.a for me to live in London or its immediate environs.

There are many wonderful places to live and work in the British Isles, just as there are in the USA. London isn't one of them, not for me anyway, and from the sounds of it, not for you either Moxy.

Scotland's bloody cold in winter. One of benefits of Hadrian's Wall was it blocking the snowdrifts before they got too far south. Wales is wet and they charge you to get out (it's free to get in though). Never been to Northern Ireland. And in England, well, think shires... there's a reason Tolkien chose the name.

And D's right, things are a lot cheaper oop north. Pint of ale only thruppence three farthings.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Jetboy

Post by Jetboy »

Hull is just about as cheap as you will get in the UK. But you REALLY don't want to live there. There is a saying around these parts, that the Humber Estuary is the backside of England and Hull is halfway up it. :lol:

Oh! and before there is an outpouring of indignation from any Hully-gullies on the forum, I was born in Hull so I claim the right to say that! :P

Hey dubhlinn, is that really Scunthorpe, that great industrial garden city (what is THAT?) you hail from. Mebbe we could meet for a yarn. Tuesday nights in the Six Bells, Barrow ( you know, t'other side of Barton. It's not too far and is generally quite a good gathering. PM me if you want to chat about local sessions a bit more.
www.westonwhistles.co.uk

I am in a World of my own. But I am happy here, everyone knows me!
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

dubhlinn wrote: Things get cheaper the further north you go.

Slan,
D.
It's true. Leeds is already affordable and HM Government will actually subsidize you if you're willing to move to Yorkshire (unless your deaf, of course).
/Bloomfield
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

it's hard when folks can't get their work
where they've been bred and born
when i was young i used to think
i'd bide mid the roots and the corn
but i've been forced to flee to town
here's my litany
from hull and halifax and hell
good lord deliver me

i'v worked in leeds and huddersfield
where i've addled honest brass
in bradford keighley rotherham
i've left my brains and lass
ive travelled all three ridings round
and once i've been to sea
good lord deliver me

i've been through sheffield's lanes at night
't was just just like being to hell
the furnaces thrust out thongues of flame
that roared like the wind o'er the field
i've scammed up coal in barnsley pit
with mud up to my knees
good lord deliver me

i've seen grey fog creep o'er leeds brig
as thick as bastille soup
've been where folks where stowed away
like chikens in a coop
i've seen snow fall on bradford beck
as black as 'ere ebony
good lord deliver me

the daleman's litany, i just love this song. thank God things are not that hard anymore.
Sam_T
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Sam_T »

Just a note in defence of London! I've lived here for four years, having previously lived in a number of other places in the UK (Yorkshire, Essex, Cheshire, in big towns and small). Dangerous to predict the future, but at this point I can't imagine ever, EVER wanting to move out of London again.

Sure it's expensive compared to a lot of places, but the quotes you've heard are overblown by a long way. I've been earning around the 20-25k mark (UK pounds) and have had no trouble living comfortably and enjoying the town. It's easy to get around, and the benefits... What can I say? Everything - literally everything - is here. And as for the legendary London unfriendliness... well, I just haven't found that. True, strangers don't smile at you on the tube and ask how your day's going. But when you get to know people, no problems. The Irish/session scene has certainly been very friendly, in my experience.

But I'm a city boy at heart, and if you don't like that kind of living then you won't like London at all. Bristol is a nice town. Manchester is cool too (great sessions, I'm told). Likewise, Edinburgh is great. But if you're going to be in a city you may as well do it properly and come to London!
I think the only other place nearby I might consider moving to is Paris, but I guess that doesn't count..

Sam
moxy

Post by moxy »

Wow, Scotland's winning by a long shot!

And I got my answer about the UK Ancestry Visa:

"The UK Ancestry Visa will only permit the bearer to live and work within the United Kingdom.
You will need to contact any other country to determine what that government requires to enable you to work there. "

If I want to stay in the Republic of Ireland, I'll have to do some digging to find out if I'm allowed :)

Amar, you picked Wales, didn't ya...
Thomas-Hastay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

I just read an article in "Scottish Life" magazine, that the Scottish Government is giving tax breaks and financial help to any business or crafty type people who wish to become Scottish citizens (dual US too). It seems they wish to promote craftwork and small businesses to those with Scottish background and are offering citizenship as a bonus. I will get specifics and post them here.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
Jack

Post by Jack »

I'd go to Northern Ireland.

Or Scotland.

But not Wales.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

I've lived in the north-west of England, near Manchester (childhood and teens), Earl's Court and Chelsea in west London, Dudley in the Black Country, London's East End (Tower Hamlets), Essex, and, for the last 18 years, here near Bude in north Cornwall. I loved the East End for its vibrant atmosphere and sheer humanity, but I've landed on my feet here where I am now. Lovely seaside town of 8000 people. You always meet several people you know when you go into town - it can be an absolute bloody disaster when you want to get things done! Soft, gentle countryside, and the loveliest coast imaginable. Don't argue with me anybody till you've been here to see! (Mention this thread and I'll buy you a pint!)

Cheers!

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!