Spammer sent down by Welsh

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Spammer sent down by Welsh

Post by GaryKelly »

Oh how jolly wonderful! Apologies if you've seen this before, but I hadn't.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/05 ... _up_419er/

Welsh bang up 419er for 20 months
By Lester Haines
Published Monday 5th April 2004 09:38 GMT

A 33-year-old Nigerian has the dubious honour of being the first advance fee fraudster to be jailed in north Wales for the offence of "going equipped to cheat".

Caernarfon Crown Court handed Peter Okoeguale a 20-month sentence for scammming various individuals - including a Scot who he took for £20,000 and a retired US businessman whose wallet is $46,500 lighter as a result of Okoeguale's activities.

Police slapped the cuffs on Okoeguale as he attempted to board a ferry from Holyhead in Wales to the Irish Republic. He was carrying discs containing the email addresses and telephone numbers of thousands of people worldwide, as well as forged documents. One of these was headed "Nigerian Police Force Contract Investigation Section".

Judge John Rogers QC told the 419er: "You had in your possession a substantial amount of equipment and carefully drafted fraudulent documents with the intention that they should be used to fool gullible people not only in this country but wherever you chose to communicate with them. This is international fraud. Only a period of imprisonment is appropriate."

Judge Rogers also recommended that Okoeguale be deported at the end of his sentence, noting: "In addition I'm quite satisfied that given the gravity of this offence it's detrimental to the welfare of the UK that you should remain here."
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Where is he going to be deported to after the sentence? Will it be Nigeria or Ireland where he has a wife and son?
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Good thing gullability is not a crime.

This guy appears to have quite a lot of money, he should have had a good defense lawyer.
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

that is great news, i just wish i could get back my 20'000£ :(
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

20 months seems harsh. It's not any different than what the credit card companies do, except Mr. Okoeguale is working on a smaller scale.
/Bloomfield
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Bloomfield wrote:20 months seems harsh. It's not any different than what the credit card companies do, except Mr. Okoeguale is working on a smaller scale.
:-?
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

NorCalMusician wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:20 months seems harsh. It's not any different than what the credit card companies do, except Mr. Okoeguale is working on a smaller scale.
:-?
Oh, and Mr. Okoeguale doesn't get direct subsidies from the U.S. Congress through the reform of personal bankruptcy law.
/Bloomfield
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Re: the title of this thread. It took me a few seconds to understand the term "sent down". I am assuming that it is used to say that he has been sent to prison. Here on the left side of the Atlantic Ocean would most likely say "sent up" to imply the same. This is an interresting quirk of the language of the type that I find fascinating.
Mike
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

When will these liberal judges realize that capital punishment is the only logical sentence for a crime of this kind? :evil:
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
Cyfiawnder

Post by Cyfiawnder »

I say they line up all the people who he stold money from, and let each person give him one swift kick in his wedding tackle :) that will keep people from doing this sort of thing again :moreevil:
Justinus say guiness in hand worth two in ice-box.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I'm wondering if he had the email address of Bro. Michael Ndlovu on those disks. I never did send him an offering.
Reasonable person
Walden
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

burnsbyrne wrote:Re: the title of this thread. It took me a few seconds to understand the term "sent down". I am assuming that it is used to say that he has been sent to prison. Here on the left side of the Atlantic Ocean would most likely say "sent up" to imply the same. This is an interresting quirk of the language of the type that I find fascinating.
Mike
And, you'll likely have noted that "banged up" and "sent down" have the same meaning, but being "knocked up" is quite a different matter from being "knocked down"!

:)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

GaryKelly wrote:
burnsbyrne wrote:Re: the title of this thread. It took me a few seconds to understand the term "sent down". I am assuming that it is used to say that he has been sent to prison. Here on the left side of the Atlantic Ocean would most likely say "sent up" to imply the same. This is an interresting quirk of the language of the type that I find fascinating.
Mike
And, you'll likely have noted that "banged up" and "sent down" have the same meaning, but being "knocked up" is quite a different matter from being "knocked down"!

:)
I think most Americans would interpret "banged up" as equivalent to "knocked up". At least I would, but I am a middle-aged, middle class white male so what do I know. :-?
Mike
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

burnsbyrne wrote: I think most Americans would interpret "banged up" as equivalent to "knocked up". At least I would, but I am a middle-aged, middle class white male so what do I know. :-?
Mike
Really? I thought that knocked up was a crude euphemism for being with child.
Reasonable person
Walden
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

burnsbyrne wrote:I think most Americans would interpret "banged up" as equivalent to "knocked up". At least I would, but I am a middle-aged, middle class white male so what do I know. :-?
Huh. I'm a middle class white American and the only way my brain could parse "banged up" is as "one's condition after a non-fatal car crash", or some such.
A far cry from being pregnant.
Unless you meant the British version of "knocked up", which is a sort of wake-up call, I understand.