Sunny Scunny????

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

GaryKelly wrote:You'll never take the Grim out of Grimsby, and you'll never take the ....

On second thoughts I shan't finish that sentence, which might attract Toasty to this thread and label me forever a foul-mouthed wot5it di55in Scunthorpe...
Grimsby? Scunthorpe? These are names I only hear when BBC Sportsworld is reading out the football scores for the lower divisions.

:D
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

This thread takes me back to a wet Wednesday in Skegness, when I was looking for the nice part of town. Took two hours to realise there wasn't one.

You'll never scrub the skidmarks out of Skegness.
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Martin Milner wrote:This thread takes me back to a wet Wednesday in Skegness, when I was looking for the nice part of town. Took two hours to realise there wasn't one.

You'll never scrub the skidmarks out of Skegness.
Round here it's just known as Area 51.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

I thought that was Cleethorpes?
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Just in case Chiffers from further afield are now getting the impression that the whole of Lincolnshire is a total wasteland I would like to point out that there is one really nice bit (an 'Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty' no less). It's called the Lincolnshire Wolds and I live there. It's about the only part of the county that isn't flat.
Dubhlinn unfortunately lives outside this rural idyll in the industrialised north. (Big aaaww for Dubh) :(
(BTW, my name is John)
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Tut,tut Gary. Cleethorpes is a wonderful place. Well OK, Willy's Bar in Cleethorpes is a wonderful place. Brews it's own hand pumped real ale and you can even buy a T shirt that says "We like our Willy's pulled by hand". (and you don't see many of them on Ebay) :D
(BTW, my name is John)
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Tut me no tuts Sirrah, harumph! Oh wait a mo... I was possibly thinking of Clacton, not Cleethorpes. Sorry!

Oh and you didn't mention Sherwood Forest! Wonderful place, just up the road a bit from Dover according to Kevin Kostner. Haven't bin there meself, saw it in a cinematograph though. Lots of trees, very, well, Wold-y I spose you'd say. :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

jbarter wrote:Just in case Chiffers from further afield are now getting the impression that the whole of Lincolnshire is a total wasteland I would like to point out that there is one really nice bit (an 'Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty' no less). It's called the Lincolnshire Wolds and I live there. It's about the only part of the county that isn't flat.
Dubhlinn unfortunately lives outside this rural idyll in the industrialised north. (Big aaaww for Dubh) :(

There are many urban myths floating around about Sunny Scunny usually concerning the pollution from the Steelworks.Modern technology has but an end to all that and the birds no longer have to fly backwards to save their eyesight.
I have travelled all over England and Ireland and have rarely seen so many parks and trees within the confines of a small town as I have seen here. It is only a ten minute cycle to open countryside and about 30 minutes to the edge of the Wolds,then onto quaint little villages like Wooton and Thornton Curtis with it's wonderful Abbey.
The Multi-national population are very friendly and helpful to each other and the Cops don't pull you over every time they see the Fiddle case thinking if it ain't a gun it must be stolen,as was a regular occurence when I was growing up in one of Dublins most notorious suburbs.
I came here by chance and settled down after years of being on the road with various bands. I will more than likely see my days out here for as Andy Irvine once sang "What matter to me where my bones they be buried,once in peace and in plenty my life I have lived"...
I get to see Martin Simpson playing in the local theatre at least once a year and that alone is worth the jokes and ribbing I get for living here.
Be wary of dissing Immingham though,Mrs. D was born and reared there though lucky for you she does not read the Chiff board :wink:

Slan from Sunny Scunny,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Ah good old Sherwood. It used to stretch all the way to Lincoln hence our connection to Robin Hood (note to colonials, emphasis on the second word please). The cloth he would most probably have worn is a weave called Lincoln Grain not Green and is a nice russet colour.
Now that I come to think about it, Sherwood reaching here, Lincoln Grain... OK Nottinghamshire and Yorkshire, you can stop fighting over it now. The lad with the bow was obviously a Yellowbelly.
(BTW, my name is John)
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Actually Dubh, old chap, I only have one real beef with Scunthorpe. They are doing better in footy league 2 than Grimsby or Lincoln.
(BTW, my name is John)
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

jbarter wrote:Actually Dubh, old chap, I only have one real beef with Scunthorpe. They are doing better in footy league 2 than Grimsby or Lincoln.
Not for long.
I read somewhere that if a match lasted 80 minutes,Scunny would have won the League for the past three seasons!!

Slan,
D.

W.B.Yeats
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

A minor celebrity alongside Martin Simpson to be sure, but didn't Ian Botham once turn out for Scunthorpe? Or did he merely threaten to?

I notice inflation has hit the English football leagues again. As far as I can figure it, we now have three first divisons and a second division. Oh well, why should I complain? It's one way for Oxford United to get promoted without actually winning anything.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Both Botham and Kevin Keegan played for Scunny in days gone by.
I'm not well up on the dates because footy is not really my thing.I try to keep up with the local teams so I will know what the guys in work are on about!
Ex-England manager Graham Taylor is from this neck of the woods and I seem to recall some connection with the Club.
Ray Clemence was another Scunny player before moving on to greater things.
Martin Simpson is without a doubt the greatest thing ever to come out of here.It's always very funny to go to his annual gig and listen to the collective muttering and sighing after every tune.It's as if half the audience are guitarists who have come to pick up a trick or two but it all happens so fast....

Slan,
D.

W.B.Yeats