It's a Hohner on ebay!... uh not a whistle but it's cool

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
didymus
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

It's a Hohner on ebay!... uh not a whistle but it's cool

Post by didymus »

Check it out.
The description says,

It has twelve keys, ten with a reed valve under each key, and two at the end of the barrel that produce harmonic tones for the notes played. It is 13" long, and about 1-7/8" in diameter.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 36457&rd=1
Jack

Post by Jack »

Looks like something Walden would find and post. :)
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

Cranberry wrote:Looks like something Walden would find and post. :)
Maybe he is the seller trading under an alias!!!!

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

That is an exceptionally cool find.

It will be mine.

OH, yes.

It will.

Actually....it won't. But if I was rich--

It would be mine.

Oh, yes.

It would.
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

What I want to know is, does each key generate two different notes -- and what key is it in? 10 plus 2 really sounds like the layout of the Hohner 4-stop single row accordion we own.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

dubhlinn wrote:
Cranberry wrote:Looks like something Walden would find and post. :)
Maybe he is the seller trading under an alias!!!!

Slan,
D.
No. I'm not the seller, but I suspect it may be an early form of Hohner's Melodica. A free-reed instrument for woodwind players, from a firm which has specialized in free reeds for a very long time.
colomon wrote:What I want to know is, does each key generate two different notes -- and what key is it in? 10 plus 2 really sounds like the layout of the Hohner 4-stop single row accordion we own.
Yeah, I think this instrument does use the same concept as the single row (so-called Cajun-style) accordion. The Marine Band harmonica was intended to be played in a similar style, but by beating the chords on the leftmost holes (for which reason the ten-hole diatonic harmonica is sometimes known as a "vamper"). Of course, it was discovered that some bendable notes and the gapped scale of the chord notes were usable for a whole other style of playing, insuring the 10-hole diatonic harmonica a long career.
Reasonable person
Walden
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

My wife found a webpage which mentions the Hohnerette. It's in French, so I can't understand what little text there is (though I think "accordéon à vent" is "wind accordion"), but the pictures very strongly suggest it is indeed a mouth-blown 1-row. There's even one model Hohnerette which looks exactly like a 1-row with the bellows removed.

(BTW, as I understand it, Cajun-style is a particular tuning for a 1-row accordion. Possibly just intonation plus slightly dryer than Irish-style? I'll try to remember to ask a Newfoundland "4 Stop" (ie 1-row) player I know when he comes to visit next month.)
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Do you think the seller would trade a Waltons with Andrea's lipstick on it. I think it would be a great trade.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

KDMARTINKY wrote:Do you think the seller would trade a Waltons with Andrea's lipstick on it. I think it would be a great trade.
No doubt. :roll:
Reasonable person
Walden
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

colomon wrote:My wife found a webpage which mentions the Hohnerette.
YIKES! What a weird and wonderful website full of all kinds of delights and horrrors. Thanks. That's just very cool.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Umm...that there beastie is called a "Symplexophon" on the French website. The one labeled "Hohnerette" is a different looking thing. Close, but not.