Which whistle do you......

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
michael_coleman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

I guess it would be my nickel generation (either D or Eb), or my Burke D.

Actually, I have been playing new tunes on my Bb generation. Its nice because I feel like I could transition easily to either the D whistle or a D flute as it kind of splits both.
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

I don't start a tune on any one whistle, but it will have been played on all by the time I finish learning it!
"You have my undivided attention"
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

Some interesting replies...I only have three whistles,a Meg,Susato and an Overton,all high d's.
I've found that it's easier to learn on the Susato or Meg and then move on to the Overton once I have it sussed.I think that this is partly due to the pain of warming up the Overton and the clogging issues that I have with it.

Also,do you find it difficult to learn a tune on one whistle and then move onto another whistle,due to the differnce in hole spaces,breathing requirements,and general differences in various whistles. :boggle:
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Whistling Willie wrote:Some interesting replies...I only have three whistles,a Meg,Susato and an Overton,all high d's.
I've found that it's easier to learn on the Susato or Meg and then move on to the Overton once I have it sussed.I think that this is partly due to the pain of warming up the Overton and the clogging issues that I have with it.
That's why I have a few favorites for learning on - all easy players. Some of my overall favorites require more careful breath control, more attention to finger placement, or are just louder, so that any mistakes are heard by the whole house. So I wait until I know the tune well before switching over.
Whistling Willie wrote: Also,do you find it difficult to learn a tune on one whistle and then move onto another whistle,due to the differnce in hole spaces,breathing requirements,and general differences in various whistles. :boggle:
Once I really know a tune, I can play it on any of my whistles without too much trouble - the attention I was using for "what was that next note again?" can be devoted to the different whistles' quirks. Though for some whistles I may want to take a little extra time to work out alternative ornamentation, practice bending notes, etc.
Easily_Deluded_Fool
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

If its in D, I usually learn a tune on a Dixon tunable,
adjusted to the sound file.

Then I play it on tunable low D, and listen to the sound file
while playing the lower key.

If I get the sheet music,
I learn it in whatever key whistle
the music is in.

Once the tune is 'in me fingers'
any whistle will do.

HTH
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I usually learn on my Waltons mellow D, the good one, or my Alba Q1. I also will pick my tweaked Feadog if it is close by. Then when I have it down pretty well I will play it on my Hoover/Oak for a different sound. Then I try other keys and brands.

Ron
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

I choose a different instrument altogether. I learn a new tune on my hammered dulcimer, because I'm not as good on dulcimer as on whistle. That way I really have to live with the new tune long enough to learn it, as opposed to playing it easily (correctly, anyhow, if not beautifully) on whistle and then forgetting how the melody went within a week.

Learning a tune on the harder instrument first is helping somewhat with that terrible WHAT syndrome :boggle: (What the Heck Am I Tooting) which plagues me so often when I'm casting about for the name of a tune which my fingers know but has no connection to a title in my brain. In fact, I'm going back and learning a lot of my older tunes on hammered dulcimer, too, just to combat this.

After it's in my head, then I pick up any old whistle (the only kind I have anyway).
Jennie
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Previously, it was always the Burke aluminum narrow-bore, but now I also use the Whitecap-Oak when I'm upstairs. These two require the least attention to how I'm playing, so that I can concentrate on what I'm playing.

Once I'm pretty comfortable with a tune, I start branching out to the slightly more difficult whistles. Most are only marginally more difficult, but several can require a little extra push going directly from a low note to a high D or E, or have other little foibles, and I'd just as soon not have to worry about all that when I'm just trying to get the melody down.

Of course, I'm still a rank beginner, so it's all pretty much of a challenge.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Which whistle do you......

Post by greenspiderweb »

Most of the tunes I listen to are for low whistle, so I grab my Susato low D. It's in tune, mellow, and I can access the both octaves very easily. It also doesn't take much time to warm up, and clogging isn't a problem. Good whistle!
Changing to another whistle later isn't a big problem, there's just a short period of getting used to the new whistle, then it's fine.
~~~~
Barry
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

I always use my Alba Q1 to learn tunes on. It makes it so easy because I don't have to worry about breath control with that whistle. It's the best. Once in a while I also use my hammered dulcimer to learn a tune. It just depends where I am at the time I find a new tune and what kind of tune it is.

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~