Tuning vs Maker?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Gaaslaj
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm selling a whistle, I'm a long-time member, thanks, John. Looks like I need more words, wow, really hard to update this, not sure what else to write, hope this is enough.

Tuning vs Maker?

Post by Gaaslaj »

Another tuning question! I was wondering what makers have the closest tuning, that is, the right hand and left hand are closest in tune? I'm aware of the inherent tuning problems of the simple system flute. I'd like to know if a maker has gotten around that. Thanks! :D :D J.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: Tuning vs Maker?

Post by Loren »

Gaaslaj wrote:I was wondering what makers have the closest tuning, that is, the right hand and left hand are closest in tune?
Huh???

Loren
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

On antique flutes you find the "flat foot" syndrome where low D is tuned very flat, but modern makers don't follow this practice, and the jury is still out on why the old makers did it.

As far as the flute being in tune with itself up and down the scale, modern flutes are. My Hamilton is in tune and plays easily well into the 3rd octave.

--James
Gaaslaj
Tell us something.: I'm selling a whistle, I'm a long-time member, thanks, John. Looks like I need more words, wow, really hard to update this, not sure what else to write, hope this is enough.

Sharp high-notes

Post by Gaaslaj »

The flute I'm playing is quite a bit sharper from low G and up. I'm still working on my embochure too though. It just seems like it takes a lot of effort to blow the flute "in tune". I was wondering about what other people's experiences with this are? What flutes require less adjustment? Thanks, J.
sturob

Post by sturob »

Actually, there really aren't "tuning problems" per se with simple-system flutes. Most whistle makers can make a cylindrical (=more problematic) bore in tune over two-plus octaves . . . there's even less of a problem with the conical bore of the flute.

Tuning really becomes an issue when you get into larger flutes, like C or Bb . . . or perhaps even A. And then, there's a little give-and-take, but you can often play even a keyless (non-Siccama) Bb in tune with itself over at least two octaves.

It could be that your flute's just not in tune with itself. My first wooden flute was that way, and I didn't realize it until I'd tried a friend's Olwell and Wilkes.

Stuart
Gaaslaj

Flute tuning

Post by Gaaslaj »

The flute I have is a Byrne and it's a Ruddel. I saw Tom Aebi's website. He offers a flute model that is more for Irish trad. He says that he makes the first two octaves more in tune and doesn't try to make the third octave in tune, like in an original Ruddel. The original makes more comprimises to get the three octaves to play well. That's my understanding so far. J. Must be some other's out there who have comments about this? J.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I'd be really surprised if one of Brian Byrne's flutes is out of tune. I do think it could be your embouchure development at this point. Have you had someone else try playing it? Could your headjoint cork placement be out of whack? You can always contact the maker to disuss this issue.

I had flutes with tuning problems when I hadn't been playing too long...but end the end I was always the problem and not the flute. :P Flutes are fickle masters to tie oneself to.

Eric
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

As Eric says, it's highly unlikely Bryan made a flute that won't play well in tune, so it's most likely either you (no offense) or cork that's not quite right. How long have you been playing flute?

Loren
Gaaslaj

Not that long...

Post by Gaaslaj »

I've been playing it about 4 months now. I did play the Boehm flute for about 1.5yrs quite a long time ago. I'm sure my developing embochure is a large part of it! It's frustrating, tried to play a few tunes at a session, someone kept telling me to pull out the head! It was out as far as the maker recommended. Oh well, J.
Blayne Chastain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

I've actually played a Byrne thats intonation was not spot-on so you might be right. I've also played Byrnes that were great.... I've actually played the one that's on Ebay - great flute. Of course, try to get it in the hands of a more advanced player and see what they think - but you may be right... If you are, contact Brian... I'm sure he'd be up for checking it out.

Post by Guest »

Some days I find my homemade flutes will be out of tune on the octave notes and the root note will sound weak and a wee bit sharp.

Now I know it could be just my ear since I have had many problems with '440' A over the years and a tendency when tuning by ear to be a little flat, but when I tune a stick, its always with an electronic tuner when I color the notes as close to diatonic as I can.

Maybe its just the weather? maybe the air is heavier some days than others OR wetter etc, maybe its the nose on my face thats the problem or the shoes on my feet, only I am to dumb to notice?

I do know that a fiddle willl sound great one day and scratchy the next, AND if recorded on it's good day then playback on the bad will then sound scratchy, SO it is not just my hearing.