bagpipes galore synthetic practice set leak!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
gt350shelby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

bagpipes galore synthetic practice set leak!

Post by gt350shelby »

got a leak around the fitting where the air pipe enters the bag.
looks like a plastic patch with a nipple to the bag and the flap lifted and lets air out. anyone know a cure? i left email to "bagepipes galore" because it had their name on it and they ignore my 4 emails.any suggestions would be appreciated.
trying to learn uilleann pipes and decided to forget ghb for a while.
WOW what a differance.

al
Thies

Post by Thies »

Welcome to the dark side of life (as some other members of this forums tend to call the uilleann piping)! :)
Well ... about your problem: This will not help you much, but look for a _real_ set of uilleann pipes (2nd hand practice sets are quite often available). I had once a look to the sets Bagpipes Galore offers and they didn't impress me at all. Difficult to get a proper sound out ...
Sorry for this bad news ... :sniffle:
WannabePiper

Post by WannabePiper »

Can you give more details? Maybe a picture?
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

If it's in the area I am thinking it is, it would be best to get a shotgun and put it out of your misery. Invest around $100.00 and get a good leather bag from L&M, McHarg or whomever...you'll be so happy you did.
gt350shelby

THANKS all you responce appreciated

Post by gt350shelby »

thanks for all your input. i was impressed with this practice set i found on ebay and it has served me well. guess i just overpressured the bag. it taught me that i could learn something new. i just didn't wont to make a big investment til i was sure i could handle the change from the ghp i've been playing for 30 years.

al
piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

maybe you did overpressure the bag, but that should not make a decent set spring a leak. lots of people on this forum come from your background- they all enjoy ups and stay with them. apparently the grip is not that different from ghbs, although everything else is.

meir
brianc

Post by brianc »

piperdoc wrote: apparently the grip is not that different from ghbs, although everything else is.

"First you must learn the grip..."

-Seamus Ennis
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

A GHB teacher described how tight you should grip your chanter as picking up a day-old dog dropping with your bare hands. You grip tight enough so as not to drop it but not so tight that you find out that the dropping is not dry in the center. Personally I would replace the dropping with a Fabergé egg in that analogy but I'm not from Coatbridge like my teacher was. A great learning device nonetheless.

Cheers,
Aaron
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

The one I heard is that you shouldn't hold the chanter with any more pressure than you would hold an empty pint glass.

Same general meaning, but lacking the breezy charm of your fine analogy, Aaron.