Watchya listenin' to?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

At the moment, I'm listening to my wife play "The Ryans and the Pittmans" on the piano. (Updated: "Now I'm 64")

My mp3 server downstairs has Queen's The Game loaded on it.

The iRiver has A Crowd of Bold Sharemen, the BBC broadcast of Frank Maher's birthday party, field recordings of this year's Goderich and Great Lakes Folk Festivals, the old Jim Payne and Kelly Russell album, Le Vend du Nord's Maudite Moisson, Peter Horan and Fred Fiin's Music of Sligo, Stan Rogers' Northwest Passage, Neil Gaiman's Telling Tales, David Francey's Torn Screen Door, Neil Gaiman's Warning: Contains Language, and the Duhks' Your Daughters and Your Sons.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Kuranes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kuranes »

Lots of Meat Loaf
Great Big Sea -- Play (my 3 year old's favourite album right now, he especially likes the drinking song)
Some Celtophile compilation CDs
Ministry -- Psalm 69
For when as children we listen and dream, we think but half-formed thoughts; and when as men we try to remember, we are dulled and prosaic with the poison of life.
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

OnTheMoor wrote:
Don't know if you had heard but they're making the Phantom into a big screen movie (a musical). Saw the preview at Vanity Fair... my girlfriend made me go.
I know about it...yep yep...will I be seeing it? Nope. Long story...but the basic gist is they've picked people who aren't appropriate for the parts (i.e. can't sing very well) and have decided to go "young and sexy" (when the Phantom is supposed to be 50...and hideously deformed). Not to smash anyone's hopes, but the movie isn't looking to be anything very good...I'm saving my money to go see the stage show again.

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:)
At this moment Loudon Wainwright III is singing "A Father and a Son" from "History",a great,great song.
Dylan and Joni usually get a daily airing with a liberal sprinkling of ITM,Davis/Parker,and often a good helping of John McLaughlin/Paco de Lucia.

Tom Waits is a regular but only when Mrs.D. is not present. She can't stand Tom so I wait till I'm alone for that kind of thing. Anything for a quite life.

Latest astounding discovery is Dusty Springfields version of Van the Mans "Tupelo Honey" - incredible version which is better than the original in many ways. Check it out and be amazed.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Jumpin' at Apollo Illinois Jaquette
Altan
Music at Matt Malloy's
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? Soundtrack
Lost in the Loop Liz Carroll

And a host of others.
Mike
emmline

Post by emmline »

AngeloMeola wrote:Alastair Fraser "The Road North"
that's exquisite.
SirNick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

dubhlinn wrote::)
At this moment Loudon Wainwright III is singing "A Father and a Son" from "History",a great,great song.
I saw Loudon perform in the spring. He is so great live!!

I can't stop listening to Millish!!!

"Q" you've poisoned me!! :boggle:
"You have my undivided attention"
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Well I will probably catch it for this. On the go strip in my car is a Chieftains #8 Cd, The Thistle and Shamrock Whistle show. a Phil Hardy Cd and a couple hours of country from the 30s, 40s, and 50s.

Ron
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

Does anyone else find it kind of depressing that so many of us feel the need to apologize for our musical tastes? I love Solas (even their recent albums), Lunasa, and other "supergroups"...I love Phantom of the Opera...I also love very puredrop trad. Strange thing, this phenomenon...

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

I've got "Installation Sonore" by Rinocerose on now. Mainly to reassure myself that I'm cooler than my dayjob.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

WFO. Selected tracks thereof, in repeat mode.

:o I've just had a sudden thought! Wouldn't it be really cool if, right, while the music was being absorbed by the brain, right, fingering for the tunes could be, like, subliminally implanted too! :o

Well I thought it would be cool...
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

That would be GREAT Gary! :)

~Crysania
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Recently I've been listening to the following:

Mrs. Crotty Concertina Music of East Clare
Various Wooden Flute Obsession
Various Squashbox (Black South African concertina music from 30s-50s)
Jolie Holland Escondida
Tin Hat Trio Book of Silk
Frank Stokes, Furry Lewis, Robert Wilkins etc Masters of Memphis Blues
Conal O'Grada Top of Coom
Mr. Fox Mr. Fox/The Gypsy
Carla Bley Escalator Over the Hill
The Artwoods Art Gallery
The Fugs — 1st two albums.
Soft Machine — One and two
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

You know, Gary, I don't think I'm ever going to get used to that avatar....I about die laughing when I see Smeagol holding up your whistle :lol:

Heather
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Crysania wrote:Does anyone else find it kind of depressing that so many of us feel the need to apologize for our musical tastes?
Not depressing, more puzzling. I long ago gave up being depressed when I couldn't get my friends to share my enthusiasms; it just happened too often. Now I just enjoy it when I find someone else who agrees.

If someone doesn't like what you do, so what? You don't owe them an apology. :)